Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: CFN predicts Clemson's Playoff path
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

TNET: CFN predicts Clemson's Playoff path

Apr 3, 2020, 12:03 PM

CFN predicts Clemson's Playoff path

College Football News released its bowl projections this week, which whenever a 2020 season starts, has a familiar finish predicted. Though and company hope it' Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: CFN predicts Clemson's Playoff path

Apr 3, 2020, 12:28 PM

They have done the same with this as they have always done with declaring a Heisman player, they made it into a popularity contest in their own mines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't believe it had anything to do with who will actually have the best team and play for the NC. If the games wasn't ever matched up and played on the field, Clemson still wouldn't have any other NC wins since 1981 !!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It helps the blue bloods attract top talent

Apr 4, 2020, 10:55 AM

If the media says they’re the best all the time. Good thing Clemson is the real thing, and the players that end up choosing Clemson are as well.

Fake News***

Apr 3, 2020, 12:37 PM

Re: Fake News***

Apr 3, 2020, 2:37 PM

No matter what it appears the Fake News will never go away......we be ready.....Go Tigers!!!!

Have to ask for this hypothetical scenario.

Apr 3, 2020, 12:55 PM

What does Bama have returning vs what Clemson is returning? Bama doesn't even have a qb for crying out loud.
And everyone is going to stay stuck on O31-0 st ####### for the foreseeable future. That is one wound up, entitled team right there.

LOL...O-4-O State...lol

Apr 3, 2020, 2:08 PM

Not having to play Clemson (again) is likely the ONLY WAY the Bucknuts EVER make it to the championship game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Apr 3, 2020, 2:55 PM

If you ask me these pre-season playoff scenarios are kind of gimmicky. They're just trying to drum up interest and elicit web traffic.

It seems to me Clemson is the team with the most coming back, talent, depth, and the most to play for. Ohio State should both be really good, but picking them to win it means making a lot of assumptions that EVERYTHING goes their way this season and Clemson falls off somehow.

It's possible but very far-fetched.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meant to say Alabama

Apr 3, 2020, 2:57 PM

....deleted part of a sentence and forgot to insert them in place of Ohio State.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Meant to say Alabama

Apr 4, 2020, 11:58 AM

Also not mentioned is the fact that literally all of the other SEC-W teams aside from LSU, Auburn, and A&M upgraded their coaching staffs.

MS State went from Joe Moorehead to Mike Leach. SEC teams have literally never run the air-raid, so I doubt they know how to defend it well.

Ole Miss went from Matt Luke to Lane "Joey Freshwater" Kiffin. And Kiffin has literally stated that his biggest stated goal is to beat Alabama and knock off Saban because of their acrimonious split in 2016.

Arkansas went from our Chad (sadly better suited as a coordinator like he was with us and is now with Auburn) to Sam Pittman, arguably Georgia's best recruiter outside of Smart.

This idea that Bama is gonna run away with the championship despite returning a decent at best QB in Mac Jones is laughable. Do they really think that Bama will have a different outcome than 2018 with Clemson completing the DL rebuild and returning 90% of our offensive firepower? I don't see them beating us in either the Semi or Championship, unless they have a repeat of 2017 and Bryce Young lights the world on fire.

I think Bama is looking at 1-2 losses at least this season, and even if they make the playoff they're not beating us or OSU. It'll be a rematch of the Fiesta Bowl in the Championship if anything.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2020, 6:02 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: CFN predicts Clemson's Playoff path ]

That is just the way they do things, and caring about the facts never at any time ever enter their minds, and no matter how many times Clemson beats their media darlings, Clemson will remain a red headed step child that just got lucky the season prior!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2020, 6:13 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: CFN predicts Clemson's Playoff path ]

I’m not sure what the other teams are returning, but to be fair, we are losing a lot. Yes, we bring back some very talented guys like Lawrence and ETN, but we lose 4 starters on the OL, our leading receiver, Simmons, and most of our starters in the secondary.

Don’t take my post to mean that I don’t think we’ll be in the NC picture because I think we will, but we do have several key spots to fill. I hate that we’re missing all this very key practice and training time for our young guys.

Apr 4, 2020, 12:10 PM

I agree to an extent, however I think the losses on offense and in the secondary are offset by having a functional defensive line again.

Bresee is our next Dexter Lawrence, going by what Dabo said before practice was cut short. We'll finally go back to our base 4-3 defense, which will actually allow our DL's to get a solid pass rush. Last season, we had only one serviceable DT in Tyler Davis. Now with Bresee to pair with Davis a la Wilkins and Big Dex, this will allow XT/Foster/Henry to finally play the way we expect them to.

XT had a rough season last year because we ran so many 3 man fronts which allowed him to get double teamed and he couldn't get his sacks or TFL's. Now that Bresee and Davis are almost guaranteed to be double teamed (if you look at how explosive Bresee is off the line), XT and Foster/Henry should be in the backfield A LOT. As we learned against LSU, the only way we win Natty's against elite offenses is with an elite pass rush. Burrow picked us apart because we didn't have much of a pass rush. With QB's having less time due to a revamped DL/pass rush, I imagine that should take a lot of pressure off the secondary with the younger players.

If you remember after 2015, we had a similar situation where we lost Kearse, Green, and Alexander (the CB equivalent of Simmons), but because of the gains on the DL, we still had a fantastic, championship-caliber defense.

It's kind of eerie how 2015-2016 parallels 2019-2020. In 2015, we lost nearly our entire front 7 in the draft (Beasley, Jarrett, Steward, Anthony, etc.) but had a strong secondary with the three aforementioned secondary players. In 2016, we lost those guys and risked having a relatively young and inexperienced secondary yet that wasn't as much of a factor given our pass rush and DL greatly improved with Dexter Lawrence joining. In 2019, we lost nearly our entire front 7 (Wilkins, Ferrell, Bryant, Lawrence, Lamar, etc.), but had our strongest secondary ever. In 2020, we lose Simmons, Wallace, and Terrell, but gain Bresee, Myles Murphy, Demonte Capehart, and Trent Simpson.

With how successful he is in sending guys to the league, having years like last year where the D takes a step back will happen from time to time under Venables. However, we know BV is a perfectionist and probably has been watching film from the Natty over and over to find ways to scheme better against monstrous offenses like LSU's last year.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic