Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Why is Clemson playing as hurricane approaches? Clemson AD speaks out
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 82
| visibility 1

TNET: Why is Clemson playing as hurricane approaches? Clemson AD speaks out

Sep 13, 2018, 11:21 AM

Why is Clemson playing as hurricane approaches? Clemson AD speaks out

As the states of South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia prepare for this week’s arrival of Hurricane Florence, college football contests across the region have either been moved or canceled. That includes Clemson’s home game against Georgia Southern, which was scheduled for 3:30 pm Saturday but was pushed back to noon, and plans are still in place for the game to proceed.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Why is Clemson playing as hurricane approaches? Clemson AD speaks out

Sep 13, 2018, 11:30 AM

WOW, SOMEONE THAT IS NOT JERKING A KNEE. VERY GOOD.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Moving the gametime is a knee jerk***

Sep 13, 2018, 12:09 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm up in the air with this decision.

Sep 13, 2018, 11:41 AM

I think by Friday evening/early Saturday they are predicting rain and some pretty high winds around Lexington. While it may be minimal rain and winds in the far upstate, it may be a lot worse on those driving from central SC. I'm sure the crowd won't be as huge. Also, it's somewhat of a distraction for players (even though coach's tell us otherwise). It's a little tougher to start getting pumped up for a game, then the time change and you know it could even be cancelled. With that being said, I'm positive Radakovich and co. are closely monitoring and making the best decision for Clemson & fans. Anyone thinking it may be cancelled at some point?

Re: I'm up in the air with this decision.

Sep 13, 2018, 11:48 AM

Perhaps those that live in the mid/low State shouldn't go to the game? Just a thought.

Clemson doesn't have the luxury of crappy teams like SC and UNC of playing a game the first week of December to try and make a bowl as we'll already be playing in the ACCCG.

This game is needed as a final tuneup for GT, and Georgia Southern needs the payout.

Mid-upper SC is only expected to get 3-8". It isn't anything that hasn't happened before, even in the last 2 years.

This will be no worse than ND game, if even that bad? Glad..

Sep 14, 2018, 7:49 AM

Clemson and GSU are manning up to play some football.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2018, 11:49 AM [ in reply to I'm up in the air with this decision. ]

PRETTY SIMPLE. IF YOU ARE SCARED, STAY HOME. AND MAYBE GET A DOG.

for most people, it's not a matter of being scared

Sep 13, 2018, 4:04 PM

it's a matter of being safe... traveling in windy and rainy conditions makes travel percentages riskier. It truly and only a personal decision for anyone who had made prior arrangements to attend the game but are now weighing their options because no one can predict how this particular storm may change and impact travel to and from Clemson as well as impacting the upstate and Clemson area... one thing that can happen is a spin off of tornadoes from the outer bands of the storm, as well as the stall that is currently happening changing into a full on charge inland...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson can't afford the lost revenue

Sep 13, 2018, 11:50 AM [ in reply to I'm up in the air with this decision. ]

that would result from cancelling the game. Our school doesn't have the revenue flow that other schools have so we simply can't afford to lose the money. So, if it is at all possible to play, the nClemson will play the game.

That is not true at all.

Sep 13, 2018, 12:49 PM

We aren't some poor, cash-strapped school.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Sep 13, 2018, 12:03 PM [ in reply to I'm up in the air with this decision. ]

Unfortunately, I feel that it will but I too appreciate DRad not making a jerk decision. The storm is no where what it was 2 days ago. Dry air is wrapped into the center and slowed too. If it stalls or rides the coast it’ll be a nice day in Clemson. A lot of people are already up there from the coast. Would like to hear their perspective.

I would hope that all of the players families have been taken care of so the players wouldn’t be distracted... as much as I really want a game, I want it to be a meaningful game too without distractions.

I was really wanting this game for two reasons. One to get the negative taste from last week behind us and two, excellent chance to get those ‘18 freshman class more experience. And yes, get TL more experience too. I would hope he and Chase would get the majority of the snaps.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only thing that should be up in the air

Sep 13, 2018, 12:09 PM [ in reply to I'm up in the air with this decision. ]

are the dang balloons when the Tigers run down the hill. ;)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As per usual, people are overreacting to the weather news.

Sep 13, 2018, 1:56 PM [ in reply to I'm up in the air with this decision. ]

It's not going to be noticeable in the upstate at all and people in Columbia will be surprised at how not severe it is.

It's going to rain alot. That's it. That's happened before. Just drive slower and you will be fine. Don't let the TV news companies fool you. They almost always oversell it. There is a storm of the century every 6 months on average.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As per usual, people are overreacting to the weather news.

Sep 13, 2018, 2:14 PM

Yep. Drives ratings.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2018, 2:45 PM

DOES ANYONE NOT FIND IT ODD THAT THE PEOPLE YELLING AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS FOR EVERYONE TO GET THE HE!! OUT OF DODGE, THE REPORTERS AND THE WEATHERMEN, ARE THE ONES STANDING ON THE BEACH RIGHT NOW GIVING US REPORTS BY THE MINUTE. I WISH JUST ONCE THAT THE WIND WOULD GRAB ONE OF THEM AND SLAM THEM INTO A TREE. JUST A NICE CONCUSSION, NOTHING SERIOUS.

Sep 13, 2018, 9:04 PM
tenor.gif(37.0 K)

Ok only one red bull after lunch for this guy.

Message was edited by: bleedsorange81

Cola will get tropical storm winds - many will lose power***

Sep 13, 2018, 4:27 PM [ in reply to As per usual, people are overreacting to the weather news. ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They were telling us 140 mph winds and 40 inches of rain

Sep 13, 2018, 6:54 PM [ in reply to As per usual, people are overreacting to the weather news. ]

in some places. This is the storm of the century because global warming made it the first Cat 4 since Hugo to hit the Carloinas and the first Cat 4 to hit NC directly since Hazel.

Except, it looks like it will be Cat 1 when it makes landfall. We will have to compare the 40 inches later.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 14, 2018, 7:56 AM [ in reply to I'm up in the air with this decision. ]

My niece is not going from Florence county , I am not going from Columbia. I would be able to get to the game, not sure about getting home.

Sep 13, 2018, 11:53 AM

We are not traveling to game, as well as most of the people in Charleston. There is to much uncertainty in the weather conditions to travel for a game and get slammed by weather coming up, then get slammed by bad weather coming back. I don't know where Dan is getting his info from, but SC is under a STATE OF EMERGENCY statewide and everything east of basically I-95 is under evacuation order. I understand the merchants in the Clemson area don't wont to see a home game cancelled, but I guess the safety of the people that travel and spend money while there doesn't matter. I'll watch it on ESPN U .GO TIGERS!!!

Sep 13, 2018, 12:01 PM

Apparently, you don't "Bleed Orange all the time"........

Makes perfect sense not to come...

Sep 13, 2018, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Why is Clemson playing as hurricane approaches? Clemson AD speaks out ]

just not safe to anyone that is in your area. However, Clemson is far enough away that its just a different situation there than compared to the other half of the state...as far as Saturday is concerned. Im sure DRad knows attendance will be down but if we dont play then it will not be made up. Weather is good Saturday in Clemson. In hindsight they probably should've played game tonight but they not have been feasible/agreeable with both teams/TV network.

So where are the people on the coast evacuating to, and

Sep 13, 2018, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Why is Clemson playing as hurricane approaches? Clemson AD speaks out ]

when do they expect to return?

Aren’t you supposed to be somewhere else? You know there’s a

Sep 13, 2018, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Why is Clemson playing as hurricane approaches? Clemson AD speaks out ]

mandatory evacuation? If it’s not bad enough for you to follow the order to get out why should we worry about you? If you cared about your own safety you would have evacuated.

I'm still planning on going...

Sep 13, 2018, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Why is Clemson playing as hurricane approaches? Clemson AD speaks out ]

everything here has been closed for days anyway so no work, nothing to do. Oh no I might have to drive in the rain on the way back....I think we'll survive.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2018, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Why is Clemson playing as hurricane approaches? Clemson AD speaks out ]

Good call . If you don’t feel safe stay put. If you think it’s gonna be ok ...go to the game. It’s called FREEDOM OF CHOICE.....but if the game had been canceled those of us that don’t mind a little risk in our lives would not have that option. Go Tigers

Sep 14, 2018, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Why is Clemson playing as hurricane approaches? Clemson AD speaks out ]

Everything east of I-95 is not under mandatory evacuations. The counties south of Charleston (Jasper, Colleton and) Beaufort are cleared.
I do not know anyone personally who evacuated Charleston. I live in Charleston. My neighbors are all here, my friends are still here. If people did evacuate odds are they went to the Upstate. So why not go to the game if they are in the area.

YES! Play the game!!***

Sep 13, 2018, 11:55 AM

Money...It's pretty simple really, money is the reason, it's

Sep 13, 2018, 12:06 PM

the same reason we moved the game to noon...Noon games are cheaper...It doesn't have anything to do with safety, or getting home, we simply don't want to lose the revenue a home game would bring in, even a sparse one at noon...And a 3:30 game isn't pushed BACK to noon, it is moved forward...Unless you have a Flux Capacitor

Of course, it's about money. So what?

Sep 13, 2018, 12:40 PM

Not just money for Clemson, but GA Southern would be forfeiting a nice check, too. If the game can be played, it needs to be played. Maybe they'll let in some evacuees for free to take up the seats the 'stay at home' crowd won't use. Not like the game was going to be a sellout, anyway.

I hate it for the folks who can't be there. I know there are more pressing concerns. But, should the people who can be there just say to hell with it because you can't? Sorry, the world doesn't turn that way.

Link to where I mentioned which way the world turned Hero***

Sep 13, 2018, 12:56 PM

That was directed at the people who think the game

Sep 13, 2018, 1:50 PM

should be cancelled because they can't make it. If that's the only beef you have with my post then you're reaching.

reply to those people then, leave me out of your

Sep 13, 2018, 2:24 PM

strawman argument...The only person beefing and reaching was you fella

I WAS replying to you, bigshot. The last comment in the post

Sep 13, 2018, 3:26 PM

was just an aside. Get over it.

so it was a poor attempt to put words in my mouth Slick?***

Sep 13, 2018, 4:11 PM

Re: so it was a poor attempt to put words in my mouth Slick?******

Sep 13, 2018, 7:49 PM

apparently the truth triggers some people***

Sep 13, 2018, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Money...It's pretty simple really, money is the reason, it's ]

At this point this is the only way to play it out. I think

Sep 13, 2018, 12:11 PM

earlier in the week they should have rescheduled the game. Just my $0.02

Kinda got lucky with Florence fizzling out and hitting as a Cat 1 and slowly moving across the state as a tropical depression. Had it been a cat 4 that maintained strength and hit Greenville Saturday night as originally expected, this would be a negative mark on Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If ifs and buts were fruits and nuts...

Sep 13, 2018, 12:31 PM

We'd all have a he'll of a Christmas!

Re:Clemson playing as hurricane approaches- spot the ball

Sep 13, 2018, 12:18 PM

if it blows away spot another and play on . dont punk out like the coots.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not even going to rain in Clemson until Sunday!!!!***

Sep 13, 2018, 12:27 PM

Re: It's not even going to rain in Clemson until Sunday!!!!***

Sep 13, 2018, 12:28 PM

Yes, but tropical storm force winds could arrive as soon as 8 PM on Friday evening.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/152247.shtml?mltoa34#contents

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Sep 13, 2018, 12:52 PM

Nope. Go melt somewhere else about Clemson being able to play

Sep 13, 2018, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Re: It's not even going to rain in Clemson until Sunday!!!!*** ]

But there's only a 30% chance of them arriving at all.

Sep 13, 2018, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Re: It's not even going to rain in Clemson until Sunday!!!!*** ]

That's a broad range to highlight, though... winds in the 30s are no different than an afternoon thunderstorm. Winds in the 60s or 70s are a different story.

To me, the game is played for the benefit of our players in getting them another week of reps after their TAMU corrections. The money is a close consideration along with that. If it's dangerous for fans to travel, don't go - that's a personal call for anyone going, but the University needs to keep pressing on if it's safe for the two teams (which the only real concern here is GA So's travel).

Pro sports (yes, I know, apples and oranges) have been played with no fans in attendance before... it's unfortunate, but it's worth pointing out that it's happened many times.

SPOT THE BALL!***

Sep 13, 2018, 12:40 PM

Sep 13, 2018, 12:47 PM

Just stop by Clemson for a nooner on the way to your evacuation location.

Who am I kidding, I'm the fool that decided to ride out Katrina.

Sep 13, 2018, 12:48 PM

To all you TNET pundits, this is a big decision that estimates the impact to fans. No one realky knows where all our fans travel from., so the impact on their decision is unknown. Much of NC and coastal SC may be traveling with significant risk. They can stay at home and not attend the game, as I will, but please don't make fun of the gravity of decision either to postpone or attend. It's really not an easy one and is fraught with risk. Go Tigers.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2018, 12:50 PM

We're definitely not going to evacuate from Kingstree, but at the same time we're not going to put our families on the road (twice) with a major rain/wind event in the area. Also, I doubt that we'll be able to watch the game live because our power will probably out on Saturday. Go Tigers, and we'll see you at the next game.

Sep 13, 2018, 1:03 PM

I still think they should play the game on Friday. The weather channel just showed the whole area around Greenville/Clemson covered with winds of 30 mph or higher at 12:35AM Saturday morning....but we will see..I have a feeling not many are going except the students to this game.

Message was edited by: usarmyshreve®

The forecast only shows 15-25 mph winds***

Sep 13, 2018, 1:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The forecast only shows 15-25 mph winds******

Sep 13, 2018, 1:20 PM

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Re: The forecast only shows 15-25 mph winds***

Sep 13, 2018, 1:20 PM [ in reply to The forecast only shows 15-25 mph winds*** ]

Those are the sustained winds. The forecast is also projecting gusts to 40 MPH during the time of the game.

Sep 13, 2018, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Why is Clemson playing as hurricane approaches? Clemson AD speaks out ]

I still think they should play the game on Friday. The weather channel just showed the whole area around Greenville/Clemson covered with winds of 30 mph or higher at 12:35AM Saturday morning....but we will see..I have a feeling not many are going except the students to this game.

Message was edited by: usarmyshreve®

Moving to Friday might have been discussed earlier in the week but the details might not have been able to be worked out. Example Georgia Southern might not have been able to secure accommodations for the football team for Thursday night and busing up from Statesboro the day of the game was unacceptable for the Eagles.

I have a feeling that it will be mostly full. Maybe 70k.***

Sep 13, 2018, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Why is Clemson playing as hurricane approaches? Clemson AD speaks out ]

A TS hitting another part of the state isn't a good reason..

Sep 13, 2018, 1:14 PM

to cancel the game in Clemson. There probably won't even be any rain in Clemson when the game starts. Even in Columbia, there's only supposed to be a half inch of rain.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the optics of playing a ball game

Sep 13, 2018, 1:19 PM

while folks further east lives are at risk and losing their homes and what not is disgusting.

Let's stop playing sports.

Sep 13, 2018, 1:43 PM

Watching movies is also disgusting when someone somewhere is dying. Someone else just found out they had cancer. Oh #### I gotta go, while I was typing this someone died in a car wreck and now this post is disrespectful.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's stop playing sports.

Sep 13, 2018, 1:53 PM

+1

Re: Let's stop playing sports.

Sep 13, 2018, 1:57 PM

Someone doesn't believe in "the healing power of sports."

enjoy the foose ball game

Sep 13, 2018, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Let's stop playing sports. ]

while major flooding destroyed peoples homes. disgusting that clemson is going forward with this game..now bring on the stupid troll chit posts that this place is riddle with these days

You are insane. Would there be no flooding if our game

Sep 13, 2018, 4:40 PM

was cancelled? Should we all just go home and sit reverently while contemplating how cruel Mother Nature can be?

Re: the optics of playing a ball game

Sep 13, 2018, 1:52 PM [ in reply to the optics of playing a ball game ]

We should cancel a game every time there is a severe weather event somewhere in America.

Right?

Sep 13, 2018, 1:59 PM

I think judging from past hurricanes that the Weather Channel has absolutely beaten the top off of the Drama Drum with this storm. Will there be damage? Yes. Will there be flooding? Yes. Will it absolutely devastate and destroy anything living in the southeastern states for generations to come with very little chance for recovery in the near future as it has been advertised by the “learned minds”? Yeah ok whatever.....

Sep 13, 2018, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Re: the optics of playing a ball game ]

null

Message was edited by: Tigerluvr

The Weather Channel

Sep 13, 2018, 2:06 PM

Is in the advertising business...it's just another reality series.

Fans come from Georgia, Tennessee and elsewhere...not just the Myrtle Beach area. Charleston may ultimately get some heavy rain, although I'm skeptical. What it won't get, unless goes waaaay south, is storm surge. All Charleston's wind is coming from onshore...pushing water away. I'd wager Folly Beach/IOP looks more like a severe low tide later this afternoon.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Weather Channel

Sep 13, 2018, 3:55 PM

I still haven't figured out how a "reality" series has nothing to do with reality.

Re: The Weather Channel

Sep 16, 2018, 2:28 AM [ in reply to The Weather Channel ]

Well the “killer, monster, unprecedented, earth shattering” thunderstorm has passed and I may cut grass tomorrow. We need some legislation about “causing a panic” when forecasting the weather. Go Tigers!

Re: the optics of protest

Sep 13, 2018, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Re: the optics of playing a ball game ]

I think our team should all act as brothers. Together they should take a knee during the opening kickoff in protest of Hurricane Florence. Let our show of unity be a positive statement on such a slow sports day.

Tell the Weather Channel to keep their storms out of mainland US once football season starts.

While we're at it, let's just shut down life as we know it.

Sep 13, 2018, 4:43 PM [ in reply to the optics of playing a ball game ]

Let's cancel school, church, occupations, government activities, vacations, and hobbies since someone, somewhere might not be in a position to enjoy it too.

Proverbs 16:18

Sep 13, 2018, 6:41 PM [ in reply to the optics of playing a ball game ]

Similar to all the California schools canceling because of forest fires. What?....Oh never mind.

But CNN says we are all going to die.

Sep 13, 2018, 2:10 PM

"Hurricane Florence starts its slow, PROLONGED ASSAULT on the Carolinas." CNN

"Hurricane Florence LONG SIEGE is Beginning; Storm Surge, CATASTROPHIC Flash Flooding, High Winds to HAMMER the Carolinas, Appalachia" Weather Channel

Hurricane Florence could bring LIFE-THREATENING FLOODS, conditions to areas away from coastline as well. Fox News

If you want the real weather news, watch Jeff Piotrowski on Periscope. Dude literally goes to the worst part of the storm and films it live on his phone. I saw him almost die in Houston. #blueshed

that guy is a nut***

Sep 13, 2018, 2:57 PM

It's hilarious watching him.***

Sep 13, 2018, 3:40 PM

Florance is Angry and Agitated***

Sep 13, 2018, 6:57 PM [ in reply to But CNN says we are all going to die. ]

Never seen so many debbie downers! Table tennis anyone?***

Sep 13, 2018, 2:36 PM

Table tennis?!?

Sep 13, 2018, 4:11 PM

In this wind?!? ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2018, 3:39 PM

Ya’ll remember Notre Dame?

A little wind and rain never stops a Tiger!

Sep 13, 2018, 4:30 PM

I’m glad that our game is still on but, it sucks that we won’t get to watch Marshall embarrass the coots.

Sep 13, 2018, 6:46 PM

Why is Howard's Rock not centered with the field and the Oculus? Out of symmetry drives me crazy. My sophomore surveying crew could have done that better.

Unbelievable

Sep 13, 2018, 10:11 PM

So resources used for the game might not be better be used helping out with this storm, no matter how small or normal or downgraded several of you think it is ?

Play the game later and help people now. We don't KNOW those resources won't be needed. Can't take that chance, to say the least.

Doing the right thing is what's important, not pr, but this is a pr disaster too.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson played two days after Hugo swept through

Sep 14, 2018, 8:10 AM

did we have a "PR Disaster" with that one also?

I don't remember as I was without power and disconnected from the world for a few weeks after.
But I don't recall one. And I had FUN at the Maryland game that Saturday in 1989 despite my property lying in ruins.

Re: TNET: Wes Durham just called out David Hood

Sep 14, 2018, 7:34 AM

Wes Durham just called David Hood out on this article. He wants David to know that he is on the ACC This Program. It is not just Mark Packer and it is not the Mark Packer show.

Replies: 82
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic