Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Swinney details 'emotional' conversation with Kelly Bryant
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 82
| visibility 1

TNET: Swinney details 'emotional' conversation with Kelly Bryant

Sep 25, 2018, 12:21 PM

Swinney details 'emotional' conversation with Kelly Bryant

Senior QB gets the night off from practice after QB change. Swinney: "There is not a guy that ever been here as long as I have been at Clemson that is more committed to this program than Kelly Bryant." Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Swinney details 'emotional' conversation with Kelly Bryant

Sep 25, 2018, 12:28 PM

But they do change the offense depending on who is out there.

Sep 25, 2018, 12:36 PM

I think it's more that defenses are changing what they do depending on who is out there than that we are changing the offense.

Defenses don't respect KB deep over the middle and that changes how the offense is going to look.

Sep 25, 2018, 12:37 PM

Fair enough

Sep 25, 2018, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney details 'emotional' conversation with Kelly Bryant ]

i think it just looks that way, if you make a few tough passes, you get to the other parts of playbook, but same playbook

A lot of us were quick to demand change w/o thinking of KB

Sep 25, 2018, 12:30 PM

However, while I know it was hard for him, he has played enough sports in his life to understand the logic behind it. I am sure he has been on the other end of the spectrum too. I am sure he has taken someone's position before. How he responds will tell you a lot about the type of person he is. I think he uses it. Being the "back up" might allow him to play without over thinking and analyzing everything knowing that 1 error and Trevor is going to take his spot. I think we see a better ball player from KB from here on out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is my line of thinking as well, I think this will take

Sep 25, 2018, 12:38 PM

some pressure off KB and he won't come out those first 2 or 3 drives with the nerves showing, with an errant pass here or there. He'll be able to play looser and be more effective on his first couple of drives, at least that's what I hope we see. Glad he will still see the field.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A lot of us were quick to demand change w/o thinking of KB

Sep 25, 2018, 12:50 PM [ in reply to A lot of us were quick to demand change w/o thinking of KB ]

KB's problem isn't his ability to throw the ball. He has shown that he can. Clearly, he is not as talented as TL, but he can do it. His problem is that he won't sit in the pocket and allow a play to develop. He may feel the pocket collapsing, or he may see a glimmer of a lane opening up, and he decides to run. Then someone on the D-line disengages and tackles him, or the DBs, who have pulled back a little, converge on him and he goes nowhere. If KB worked on being a passer first and a runner if/when things break down, he'd have much better success. It's clear to see that TL's pocket presence makes the defense back off, and opens up the running game, which must be more than just KB scrambling.

Sep 25, 2018, 2:35 PM

Ciahra said:

KB's problem isn't his ability to throw the ball. He has shown that he can. Clearly, he is not as talented as TL, but he can do it. His problem is that he won't sit in the pocket and allow a play to develop. He may feel the pocket collapsing, or he may see a glimmer of a lane opening up, and he decides to run......

Totally agree with this assessment. TL will continue to look downfield when rolling out of the pocket - some of which is by design - and with our talented WR's he knows something will happen. He can square up to make a great throw rolling left or right. KB knows he can hit the open grass and pick up a few yards. Nothing wrong with it, but third and seven he may get five while TL looks and hits either a huge play or someone just past the sticks (Renfrow = the King at that ??).

Sep 25, 2018, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Re: A lot of us were quick to demand change w/o thinking of KB ]

Ding Ding Ding, that is exactly what I believe also to the T, and have already posted saying about the same, just a longer version of it!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Re: A lot of us were quick to demand change w/o thinking of KB ]

They may not change the playbook, but I firmly believe that if we charted it out, we'd see more called RPO for KB. Because he is a good and bruising runner. But KB does not do a particularly good job at assessing option, so many of those plays end up with little gain because of the wrong read.

If they really called the same playbook for both guys, I suspect KB would still choose to run more when the pocket collapses vs TL who might try to extend the passing play. So I agree with the above, but only so far as designed runs and designed passes vs RPO calls.

I think KB (and the O-line) would fare better with fewer RPO calls. TL already does.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 6:23 PM

I think RPOs are called the same. Defenses just know that KB chooses the run option - because he's not as confident that he can burn the protection with the pass

Sep 25, 2018, 6:35 PM

Why would any of these players potentially throw away their chance at a professional career in football because of a change at quarterback. Each guy makes it on their own If a receiver only catches a few balls in a game vs a lot of balls in every game, who stands the best chance of making the pros. It’s a lot easier to run as a tailback when you don’t have to beat 8 guys at the line of scrimmage. The team wants to win and the way you do that is by doing your job. It shouldn’t matter who the coaches put in beside you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with this totally. The pressure of holding on to

Sep 25, 2018, 2:01 PM [ in reply to A lot of us were quick to demand change w/o thinking of KB ]

the starting spot is gone and he may respond better. That would be awesome.

Sep 25, 2018, 3:49 PM [ in reply to A lot of us were quick to demand change w/o thinking of KB ]

Are you suggesting that KB didn't really see how big the threat was with TL as highly talented and sought after he was. I think he did know but, I also think that family and friends was in his head about not worrying about TL taking his job in his first season bc he led the team to a ACC championship, and to the playoffs. I think that he was convinced that what we have saw in our passing game wouldn't happen bc of what he has done, and I think that he was just to comfortable with what he has done to lose his job to a true freshman. Then again maybe not bc he saw it happen to Cole Stoudt when DW4 arrived on the scene unless, he believed he was that much better than Cole, and the same thing wouldn't happen to him. In big business, and college FB has grown to be one of the top 10 biggest businesses in America, and big business runs off of what have you done for us lately, and that rule has bit one of the good guys at Clemson square in his butt.

If KB can make the down field throws some times, and he can, there isn't any reason why he couldn't do the same all the time, and I believe that he could have if he would have focused more and practiced more on his passing game making the big down field throws. I believe that if KB would have made the down field throws his top concern since the end of last season, what has happen with him wouldn't have happen just a couple of days ago bc at times he has made the same throws that TL is consistently making to our receivers now. KB is a good passer that could have made any throw on the field if he would have made his #1 focus in the off season and fall ball more about his passing game and not depending on his running game more than his passing game, I don't believe we would be having a conversation about who the starter is or should be for our Clemson FB team!!!

Also keep in mind that those big time receivers that we have recruited and brought to Clemson believing they would be a big part of our offense, we have to get the ball to those elite receivers at any place on the field. That can't happen with a running offense where the QB will call his own number as much as KB actually did. And we can't keep our big time RB's happy with the QB taking the largest percentage of the running plays himself. It's a good thing to have a QB that can run when everything else breaks down, but our offensive talent calls for a QB that can and will distribute the ball to all of our elite talent that we have recruited and brought to Clemson to do what they are best at doing!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 4:56 PM

I really do like Kelly however we need to be honest. He cannot make all of the throws. Trevor can put some gas behind a throw if need be and he does a nice job of throws down field. Nothing wrong with being beat out. I just hope Kelly B keeps a positive attitude and this pushes him to get even better at his craft.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 12:43 PM

he gone.

Sep 25, 2018, 12:44 PM

And there it is.

Let's Not Forget.....

Sep 25, 2018, 12:50 PM

That Dabo gave him the reigns all season last year when many thought that Hunter Johnson's elite arm gave us a better chance to win . The fallout from that and of course TL's arrival made him leave the Tiger program.

I liked KB and yet I knew his limitations in the passing game made him less of a threat down field. This could bite us when we're on our on 20 with 1 minute left and 10 yard or less passes aren't going to get it done .

I think back to Willie Simmons and how he handled the same situation with class. I'm sure KB will as well .

Justin Fields?***

Sep 25, 2018, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney details 'emotional' conversation with Kelly Bryant ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Justin Fields?******

Sep 25, 2018, 7:49 PM

I'll take that bet Loser, what are you willing to put up?***

Sep 25, 2018, 3:01 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney details 'emotional' conversation with Kelly Bryant ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

be sure TNET doesn't care how KB feels!***

Sep 25, 2018, 12:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: be sure TNET doesn't care how KB feels!***

Sep 25, 2018, 1:04 PM

Be sure T-Net cares and already knew how he'd feel...but it's not about hurting people's feelings...it's about rewarding performance and playing the best player. That's exactly what Swinney has told people throughout this whole competition. They aren't choosing based on feelings, they chose on performance. It's that simple....

Sep 25, 2018, 1:13 PM

KB is a great team player we all admire. There will be situations where he will be used, plus if TL is injured KB could step back in. He's a fantastic back-up.

Sep 25, 2018, 4:16 PM

I wanted to make this comment, but figured if I did TL would get injured BECAUSE I said it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dagnabbit..my Dabo man crush just got worse.

Sep 25, 2018, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: be sure TNET doesn't care how KB feels!*** ]

confirmation that we have one of the finest human beings on the planet as our head coach..he ain’t a bad coach, either.
And his players reflect that, over and over again. There is certainly “something in these hills” currently.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Yep, I've seen this coming!!!!!!!

Sep 25, 2018, 1:13 PM

Just like seeing something better! This should have never happen to KB! I disagree with this decision to replace KB!! What is going to happen if TL gets injured? Will KB preform well,or will thoughts be there from how he was booted from starting QB? We all may see where this maybe a good move,but this could cost Clemson a Championship because changing of the guard! This should have been talked about with both KB and TL face to face to discuss the QB situation! This stinks!!!! Use TL to finish drive the score up,but never, ever turn your back on who has brought the team where they were last season! You may not like what I am posting, but if you were KB and someone comes along and take your role of starting QB, wouldn't you be hurt?! If I am not preforming well,tell me, then see if I can improve to make a difference. I feel pretty sure I am not the only one that feels this way or maybe(don't care)but if I am, then you know what I am thinking! I'm not a male,but a concern fan and I think this is bad! TL is good,but let's be fair, KB needs to improve but the only way for him to improve is to put pressure on him and not replace him! I like team work and this is not team work! Yep, I've seen this coming!!!!!!!! Keep your head up KB, ALL IS WELL!

Re: Yep, I've seen this coming!!!!!!!

Sep 25, 2018, 1:22 PM

I feel like he has reached his ceiling for the short term...whether or not he could make big strides over the next few years is irrelevant

There is no magic pill 25% into the season

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Yep, I've seen this coming!!!!!!! ]

I respectfully disagree with every word you typed but you have a right to your opinions and the right to express them.

Sep 25, 2018, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Yep, I've seen this coming!!!!!!! ]

"...then you know what I am thinking!"

I do and disagree.

This is the most ridiculous comment on TNET ever

Sep 25, 2018, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Yep, I've seen this coming!!!!!!! ]

By your logic, ETN would be 3rd string RB, Tee Higgins would be 2nd string WR and Isaiah Simmons would be playing safety.

Look, Doris, this is football. The best player plays. Everyone of our players have known this sport's Lord of the Flies reality since they were 5 years old. There are no participation trophies and not everybody gets a gold star. KB had a 3 year experience advantage on an incoming Freshman and lost his job. That's tough for KB, but good news for everyone else. And if somehow, KB improves and becomes the better QB, then guess what? He'll be the starter. That's how it works.

I truly wish you could get through your head that

Sep 25, 2018, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Yep, I've seen this coming!!!!!!! ]

IT'S NOT ABOUT KELLY BRYANT! IT'S ABOUT THE CLEMSON TIGER TEAM! SMH...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You pretend you're

Sep 25, 2018, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Yep, I've seen this coming!!!!!!! ]

Supporting KB by saying it isn't right...then belittle him by suggesting he will 'take his toys and go home'. Nice try, though...

KB's made of better than what you suggested, dmc...k....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Yep, I've seen this coming!!!!!!! ]

From one lady to another, girlfriend, you're wrong.

You don't know if the coaching staff already had conversations with him about performance and he hasn't improved to their standards. I played team sports growing up (softball, mainly) and if you're not producing the numbers (stats), someone else will.

Also, you NEVER share your performance review meeting with a peer, no matter how high profile it is. Nor do you keep switching guys out. That's no different than switching pitchers for every batter in baseball - that's not effective nor efficient.

I highly doubt if TL gets hurt that KB will think anything about not being the starter - his thoughts will be, "this is my chance to show I got 'it.'" That's how sports work. As for your "let's be fair" comment, we're 4 games in, he's had plenty of opportunity to perform under pressure.

Sep 25, 2018, 7:49 PM

From one lady to another, we all have our views!

Sep 25, 2018, 5:16 PM [ in reply to Yep, I've seen this coming!!!!!!! ]

Do you not think this conversation has taken place many times. Hell we lost a 5 star qb because of holding on to Bryant and not letting him have a chance. Kelly didn’t get blindsided

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Sep 25, 2018, 1:27 PM

I certainly hope Bryant is man enough to do the right thing. This coach and team have stood by him and he needs to do the same. Just do whatever the coaches tell you to do, Kelly and be a team mate like Cole Stoudt was when DeShaun won the starting job! He will NEVER be a pro quarterback...period! He could leave Clemson like a baby and go play for any team in America and NEVER go any further. This whole "emotional" thing is beginning to look and sound like a BAD Hallmark movie.

Jesus, dude

Sep 25, 2018, 2:24 PM

Have some compassion and empathy.

Which I'm assuming will be difficult for you considering you are most likely a social recluse who has never played an organized sport in your life.

Sep 25, 2018, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney details 'emotional' conversation with Kelly Bryant ]

Do you tell that to the kids who play Upward Sports for you?! Have some compassion and try a little empathy.

That's a disgusting attitude. KB should

Sep 25, 2018, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney details 'emotional' conversation with Kelly Bryant ]

do what's best for KB, and we should wish him well in that decision.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is best for the team?

Sep 25, 2018, 1:31 PM

That is the objective.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 1:38 PM

KB is great QB... but dang, the new kid is something else. He looks to have that magic.

Watching that video I'm glad Dabo is the coach of this team

Sep 25, 2018, 1:42 PM

Re: Watching that video I'm glad Dabo is the coach of this team

Sep 25, 2018, 2:30 PM

Don't be so hard on yourself, be careful of name calling! You go play QB, you would not last!

Sep 25, 2018, 1:43 PM

I really do wish we would stop dramatizing the QB situation. This is a man’s game. Position battles are won and lost all year.

Sep 25, 2018, 2:20 PM

The funny thing is, ( not "haha" funny but ironic), i expect the vast separation we saw at GT to get much smaller these next couple weeks.

TL balled out of his mind in Atlanta. If that is what we can look forward to every week, this decision was a no-brainer. But i really expect that to have been his best freshman game. I think the burdens of starting and executing a game plan from the first snap will weigh on him for a few weeks. Coming into the last stretch of the season, we will be better for this change, but if we are thinking that the Porsche has passed the Chevy and there's nothing but straightaway ahead, don't put away your jack just yet.

I expect TL to live up to every expectation next year when our defense takes a step back. This year i just hope he goes through enough developmental challenges to give us a level field vs Bama. This decision starts that process.

I mean, he's done it in every game.

Sep 25, 2018, 2:58 PM

Even in the game he supposedly played poorly he completed 5 of 9 averaging 10 per attempt a touchdown and no picks. I doubt we go scoreless in the 4th if he plays the rest of the game.

We've seen what it does for the running game. And we have no intimidating defenses on the schedule until late in the year, maybe.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney details 'emotional' conversation with Kelly Bryant ]

I can see your point, where the pressure may get to him, causing some 'True Freshman' moments, but come on, this guy is as cool as a cucumber. I actually expect both to play better moving forward. If he was going to break down under pressure, I think it would have come after one of his INT. What a great time to be a Tiger when arguing over rather the A+ or A- QB is better. KB has been my choice on starting QB up to this point. I agree Trevor has outplayed in last 2 games, but first 2 games go to KB, so I'd say it's a tie race. Overall stats Trevor has done slightly better, but KB hasn't been shabby... Excited about the change, to see how both handle.

Sep 25, 2018, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney details 'emotional' conversation with Kelly Bryant ]

Did you have this same opinion with Deshaun Watson his freshman year? Why is it any different? There's a good chance that Trevor is just really good, and what he's done may happen all season, or better.

Sep 25, 2018, 6:11 PM

Tiger1UP said:

Did you have this same opinion with Deshaun Watson his freshman year? Why is it any different? There's a good chance that Trevor is just really good, and what he's done may happen all season, or better.

My point isn't that TL shouldn't start. I've been saying for months that he needs to be given opportunities to develop to championship level before we get to that point.

Rather, my point is that we should not expect 1 TD pass per 1.5 possessions for the rest of the season like he gave us on Sat.

Yes, when he plays, the running game opens up. And Renfrow can go back to running mid-range routes. And the offense as a whole becomes what our coaches recruited for.

But I'm truly dissing on GT's defense, not Trevor. Our athletes and Trevor's arm made them look like a HS JV squad--that later picked off Chase.

A lot of situations have not been thrown at Trevor yet. The ACC is a scheme-driven league (rather than an athlete-driven league like the SEC). Smart coaches with smart athletes throw new wrinkles into their game plans every week. I'm looking forward to seeing how he responds. I already appreciate his willingness to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack or a silly 2-yard scramble. I want to see how he handles BC's pass rush, Duke's physical CBs, NCSt's cheap shots, anybody's blitz package--because Bama will bring all of the above.

Sep 25, 2018, 1:59 PM

I know it's not going to happen, but I would love to see what KB could do as a Safety or Corner.

This just shows how good the "Program" is right now

Sep 25, 2018, 2:19 PM

Every year you keep recruiting and sometimes you recruit over incumbents. This is not at all a knock on KB but TL brings a totally different dimension to the offense. Not just in the vertical passing game but in the running game as well. The defense can no longer load the box to stop the run because they have to respect the pass. While I agree with Dabo that both guys can run the offense; only one guy materially changes how the defense has to play against this offense.

Sep 25, 2018, 2:24 PM

K.B. will continue to get snaps every game and there is still the possibility of taking back the starting position.
At the same time I hope TL takes off and runs with it(not literally). ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed***

Sep 25, 2018, 2:32 PM

Sep 25, 2018, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney details 'emotional' conversation with Kelly Bryant ]

Honestly, I wish so much wouldn’t be made out of it. Just stick to the original message, we’re still playing two, hopefully three qbs a game and it doesn’t matter who runs out there first. Just that TL needed to be rewarded for his play last week and this time next week may be different.

On another note, why would kb transfer? For what reason. I could understand the defense guys who transferred for one year. Just hope kb isn’t getting bad advice from someone saying he can get drafted etc. if he transfers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 6:43 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Swinney details 'emotional' conversation with Kelly Bryant ]

Every horse that qualifies for the Triple Crown races is a quality thoroughbred. One of those horses turned out to be Secretariat. That doesn't cheapen the pedigrees of the other horses. They're all still beautiful and strong and athletic and run extremely well. The others just aren't Secretariat.

Why would Kelly need to not practice

Sep 25, 2018, 4:10 PM

Monday night because he was not named starting QB? Should we give Feaster the night off, too? How about Adam Choice? Albert Huggins? I really think this "emotional stuff" is getting out of hand.

I truly hope you don’t have kids

Sep 25, 2018, 4:16 PM

Excuse me, but

Sep 25, 2018, 4:40 PM

I was suggesting that perhaps ALL players who didn't have a starting job should get the SAME treatment... do you have a problem with that? No question that the staff has handled TL's promotion to starter EXACTLY right. I hope that KB will continue to contribute to the team. I hope that the OCs will put in a series of plays for KB to allow him to really maximize his abilities. What I DON'T support is turning the selection of the starting QB into the focal point... I repeat, this is not about Kelly Bryant or Trevor Lawrence... it's about the Clemson Tiger team! If you disagree with that, I question YOUR status as a Tiger fan.

Watch the video again

Sep 25, 2018, 4:51 PM

and I just think it's time to move on to other stuff.

Sep 25, 2018, 5:10 PM

If you read my last post, you will see that I agree with you. The focal point should be the team, not ANY individual player... it's a team game. As for Kelly, I have the utmost respect for him. He got us a lot farther last year than anyone had a right to expect... he did everything he was capable of doing. I have said repeatedly that we were very fortunate to have him this year... his experience has allowed the coaches to bring the Freshmen along slowly, instead of forcing them into situations they were not ready for. I think that Kelly will heavily contribute to the Tigers' success the remainder of the season, and as I said, I hope the OCs will put in a series of plays for him in order to allow him to maximize HIS talents.

My original response in this thread did not relate to anything you had posted... I had simply said that I questioned why he needed Monday night off, and asserted that perhaps the emotional angle was "taking over." It's my opinion, and I stand by it. You are free to disagree. I would prefer that you not question my integrity in doing so. I have been a Clemson fan since I attended my first game in 1957. My function, as a fan, is to cheer for my Tigers, and leave the coaching to the coaches.

Empathize with him? ... of course I do. He has given it his all for the past 18 games. I have the utmost respect for him. And, I'm looking for big things from him the remainder of the year. Maybe, finally, we can move on from "who should be the starting QB" and get on with winning another Natty.

go Tigers!

That's a whole lot more than you said in your op

Sep 25, 2018, 5:43 PM

True... my OP was just a question as to why the day off...

Sep 25, 2018, 6:10 PM

I am also tired of the negativity, which is why I don't post that much. I believe that players should play, coaches should coach, and fans should cheer.

I simply thought that the "day off" sent the wrong message. I don't question Dabo's giving him the day off (coaches coach), but I would prefer that Kelly take the position, "thanks, coach, but I don't need it. I beat the 5-star dude out in the first four games... he beat me out this time... I'll get it back against 'Cuse." Business as usual.

Thanks for continuing this long enough to resolve our misunderstanding. I am first and foremost a Clemson Tiger fan, and it sounds like you are, too. I want to live long enough to see my Tigers win a 3rd national championship... maybe this year!

Go Tigers!

So, like Bama, our backup QB has led the team to Playoffs

Sep 25, 2018, 4:23 PM

Not a bad position to be in. It sucks for KB (and Jalen Hurts) to have been the man to lead his team to the pinnacle of college football (Hurts) or two steps short of the summit (KB) and still lose their starting position.

If KB is the man I think he is, he'll support TL and the Tigers through the end of the year and make the most of whatever PT he gets. And he'll keep trying to get that starting spot back.

OTOH, if he chooses to sit and preserve his eligibility to transfer, good luck to him. He'll still be a Tiger to me.

[It occurs to me that this was my 1000th post!]

Players Reaction???

Sep 25, 2018, 4:47 PM

I understand why Dabo did it, but I'm a 50 year old grown man with tons of tough life experiences. But KB and TL's teammates aren't. So don't expect this decision to go over well with them. That staff better get their hands around this quickly. Or you will have 22 individual players. That will not function as a team... To be honest the players couldn't care less what we post....

Re: Players Reaction???

Sep 25, 2018, 5:38 PM

ArmyChief said:

I understand why Dabo did it, but I'm a 50 year old grown man with tons of tough life experiences. But KB and TL's teammates aren't. So don't expect this decision to go over well with them. That staff better get their hands around this quickly. Or you will have 22 individual players. That will not function as a team... To be honest the players couldn't care less what we post....

couldn't agree more. like it or not Dabo replaced a black kid with a white boy.....spin it but that aint going over well with the brothers. This could be detrimental to the "team." Dabo is walking on eggshells here.

B.S.

Sep 25, 2018, 5:48 PM

Cole (white) was replaced by Watson (black). Would you expect the other white players on the team to be upset about that? If any of the players see this as racial, that's on them. If you watch the two QBs play in the GT game, it is quite obvious that TL had the offense operating more efficiently. That is what this is all about, not race.

Re: B.S.

Sep 25, 2018, 5:55 PM

Cole (white) didn't go 16-2 as a starter...Cole wasn't ACC MVP... Next comparison?

Being 16-2 doesn't mean there isn't someone better than you.

Sep 25, 2018, 6:21 PM

Being the ACC Champ Game MVP doesn't mean there isn't someone better than you! Ask Jalen! He won a friggin NC and was still beat out by a better player.

Next weak a$$ argument?

Re: hate to disagree

Sep 25, 2018, 6:44 PM

But Hurts still hasn't led his team to win a NC.

A little school from SC beat him, remember?

Kelly wasn't ACC MVP

Sep 25, 2018, 6:35 PM [ in reply to Re: B.S. ]

Kelly Bryant WAS NOT the ACC MVP. He did not win any kind of conference Player of the Year award. Kelly was named the MVP of "one" game. Heck, Sam Swank was the MVP of the 2006 ACC Championship; it doesn't necessarily mean you're a great player.

In fact, Kelly wasn't on the first, second or third All-ACC team last year. He didn't even make the ACC's "honorable mention" list:

https://theacc.com/news/2017/11/27/2017-all-acc-football-teams-announced.aspx

Kelly Bryant is a good player but this fantasy that he's an elite quarterback, even in this lackluster conference, is ridiculous.

I appreciate him for what he's done. I'd love for him to have been the passer that Deshaun was but he isn't. He's a steady game manager with distinct limitations. He's our own JT Barrett. There's a lot of games you can win with him but there's also a clear limit to how far he can take his team.

Just my opinion,
-Moon

I've been told it's just a simple business decision

Sep 25, 2018, 5:48 PM [ in reply to Players Reaction??? ]

These post are indictative of today's political climate...***

Sep 25, 2018, 4:52 PM

There's a TON of ball to play still

Sep 25, 2018, 5:40 PM

Just because he's not the starter, we WILL need KB this season, so he will see plenty of field in the next few months. I can see short yardage stuff, specialty packages, god forbid injury relief, TL may have an off game, and some rock solid ground work for clock working to close games out....we've got 11 more games to go, and KB will still be a big part of this team, both in leadership and on the green. It's not a funeral, it's just not a start.

Will be hard to maintain a family climate

Sep 25, 2018, 5:53 PM

***I**** understand what you are saying. But I'm not 22 or so.. And like another person posted.. If you think this is going over great in the locker room... Think again!! The fans may love this decision.. But the fans don't play football for Clemson... Those young men do. And what they think matter more than any of us and more than the staff.. No coach on Clemson's staff is catching/kicking/tackling/running or any other football activity...

Don't be surprised when you hear about racial separation in the locker room...

I hear what you're sayin but I don't think that's the case

Sep 25, 2018, 6:02 PM

Re: Will be hard to maintain a family climate

Sep 25, 2018, 6:37 PM [ in reply to Will be hard to maintain a family climate ]

I think you'll only hear about a 'racial divide' from Cluck promoters like Rev Corey Miller, the Professor of Pain on Sportstalk. He scoffs at the very concept of a positive culture at Clemson. So he'll agree with you.

It is (to me) far more likely that if there is a divide, it will be between that large group of seniors and those explosive skill position youngsters who didn't perform as well with Kelly on the field.

So long as the freshmen keep working their tails off, they are earning every minute of playing time they get, so i think any angst is temporary.

I think it's obvious to everyone except KB that it would happen eventually. KB is the exception because he has learned to focus on his own improvement--which might have been enough if Clemson weren't striving for a championship.

Sep 25, 2018, 7:11 PM

Tough decision Dabo had to make, but he handled it well. He explained all the options Kelly had in front of him. No sugar coat, but truthful and honest. I wouldn't want to be in Dabo's shoes. He did the right thing for the betterment of the Team as a whole. Kelly is still a valuable player on the team and can still play. GO TIGERS!!!

Taking a break......

Sep 25, 2018, 8:41 PM

I'm guilty of some of this crap.... But this is my last time on T Net for a bit... So depressing to read and write this stuff....I'm out..

Re: Taking a break......

Sep 25, 2018, 11:13 PM

Sorry this is getting to you.

I don't know why people invest so much loyalty in the Figurehead. Aren't the guys in the trenches just as important? When Christian Wilkins took Scott Pagano's starting position, should all the Somoans have been offended? And isn't that what a true minority is--when there is NO ONE like you to take offense for you? So why do some portray this change as a "community altering event"?

But sports are one of the last meritocracies in life. It's not about networking. It's not about studying the playbook. Those skills can help, but only inasmuch as they improve performance, which is what it IS all about.

An underperforming Figurehead squanders the hard work and skill of the people around him. His risk-averse decision-making not only limits the opportunities of offensive players, but it requires other teammates--like the DLine--to overachieve. Now those 4 guys like being challenged, but the defense doesn't always succeed at stopping the opponent, do they? So whose fault is it when an offense leaves the defense a shorter field to defend? How about when the Clemson Tiger team as a whole loses because it happens too often?

Besides, everybody talks about how much KB has given to this team. What the hey???? Didn't Nick Schuessler give just as much? Yet he never got to start a single game. He even paid his own way for awhile, since he walked on instead of getting a schollie handed to him like KB got. So KB worked and waited for a turn that was never promised him, and we assume he's offended that the same promise was never given in his second year as starter.

And oh yeah, i appreciate anyone who works at their craft, even if it's Tucker, who never saw a snap as a Tiger. But implying that a QB deserves to play because of his work ethic is insulting to all the big uglies that put in a lot more work, get a lot less thanks, and constantly get criticized on this board as an OL that does such a lousy job that the QB has to scramble all the time. Even though the OL received numerous conference recognitions.

Sorry for the rant. Personally i think KB is a stand-up guy who doesn't want everybody crying on his behalf.

ArmyChief, hopefully by the time you check back in we'll all have grown up a little more.

Enjoy the game against Cuse.

Re: Taking a break......

Sep 25, 2018, 11:13 PM [ in reply to Taking a break...... ]

Sorry this is getting to you.

I don't know why people invest so much loyalty in the Figurehead. Aren't the guys in the trenches just as important? When Christian Wilkins took Scott Pagano's starting position, should all the Somoans have been offended? And isn't that what a true minority is--when there is NO ONE like you to take offense for you? So why do some portray this change as a "community altering event"?

But sports are one of the last meritocracies in life. It's not about networking. It's not about studying the playbook. Those skills can help, but only inasmuch as they improve performance, which is what it IS all about.

An underperforming Figurehead squanders the hard work and skill of the people around him. His risk-averse decision-making not only limits the opportunities of offensive players, but it requires other teammates--like the DLine--to overachieve. Now those 4 guys like being challenged, but the defense doesn't always succeed at stopping the opponent, do they? So whose fault is it when an offense leaves the defense a shorter field to defend? How about when the Clemson Tiger team as a whole loses because it happens too often?

Besides, everybody talks about how much KB has given to this team. What the hey???? Didn't Nick Schuessler give just as much? Yet he never got to start a single game. He even paid his own way for awhile, since he walked on instead of getting a schollie handed to him like KB got. So KB worked and waited for a turn that was never promised him, and we assume he's offended that the same promise was never given in his second year as starter.

And oh yeah, i appreciate anyone who works at their craft, even if it's Tucker, who never saw a snap as a Tiger. But implying that a QB deserves to play because of his work ethic is insulting to all the big uglies that put in a lot more work, get a lot less thanks, and constantly get criticized on this board as an OL that does such a lousy job that the QB has to scramble all the time. Even though the OL received numerous conference recognitions.

Sorry for the rant. Personally i think KB is a stand-up guy who doesn't want everybody crying on his behalf.

ArmyChief, hopefully by the time you check back in we'll all have grown up a little more.

Enjoy the game against Cuse.

Sep 25, 2018, 9:29 PM

Coach if you didn't care and didn't love your people it would be easy. I to work with people for 40 years and held their careers in my hands. It was never easy because I love them and I cared about them but I had a job to do. I did it with all the love and concern that I could possibly have for each of them. Unless you become a monster it will never get easy. Nor should it ever become easy to make life changes in a person's life.

Replies: 82
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic