Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Analysts see Lawrence named starter as right decision, key to Playoff success
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

TNET: Analysts see Lawrence named starter as right decision, key to Playoff success

Sep 24, 2018, 5:42 PM

Analysts see Lawrence named starter as right decision, key to Playoff success

National college football writer on Trevor Lawrence: "He’s a guy who can actually win the College Football Playoff.” Taking a look at the decision from a national perspective. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The real question is,

Sep 24, 2018, 6:32 PM

will this move get us into Jim Mora's top 10?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: TNET: Analysts see Lawrence named starter as right decision, key to Playoff success

Sep 24, 2018, 6:33 PM

Let's be real, a quarterback beats Alabama not a run game. Our defense and Alabama usually crushes any run game from an opponent. We can't have Peyton Manning (aka Trevor Lawerance) walk in at Clemson and say lets just play Johnny Manziel in the NFL (aka Kelly Bryant). The passing game wins championships! A quarterback can run for so long, eventually he has to pass!

Re: TNET: Analysts see Lawrence named starter as right decision, key to Playoff success

Sep 24, 2018, 6:35 PM

I think that is what most of us TL promoters were saying all along, and that is give him the ball now, and let him get settled in as our starting QB before we have to have him in a game down the road when he would most likely be a bundle of nerves and not be able do what he was sent in to do, but could've done if he had of had game experience!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trust me my friend the time was not right until now.

Sep 24, 2018, 9:19 PM

Swinney kept playing him until he earned the job outright. Be thankful that we had Kelly Bryant at TAMU. Outside of that one beautiful play to Higgins,which was more Higgins’ run after the catch than anything, Lawrence was 4 of 8 for 29 yards or so. The coaches gave him a few drives to get it going and he couldn’t. Sorry but he looked like a true freshman in that game. Playing in front of 104K for the first time with part of the OL playing like garbage will do that but Kelly B could handle it better at the time. I believe the freshman jitters are gone, the knowledge is there, and the support of the locker room is behind the decision. Being the most talented in a situation like this does not necessarily make you the starter. Swinney waited until all of the other factors, the things that mostly only he and the team see, were right. Good job by Swinney and Co for tuning out all the outside noise from media and fans and doing what is best for the team when it is best for the team.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 Leaving it to Swinney

Sep 24, 2018, 9:26 PM

But still believe TL beats Tx A&M by 10+ if he plays entire game. Some mistakes but big play potential on every play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: +1 Leaving it to Swinney

Sep 24, 2018, 10:19 PM

Then you have no clue. KB won that game and if the coaches hadn’t shut down the 4th it would have been by 20. Give KB his dues

U R either a blood relative of KB, or an Embecile*

Sep 24, 2018, 11:44 PM

Re: +1 Leaving it to Swinney

Sep 25, 2018, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Re: +1 Leaving it to Swinney ]

Oh, the coaches shut down the 4th quarter, did they? So wait, since you are such a avid KB lover...likely a friend or relative of his the way you defend him...explain how it is that 8 out of 12 plays in the 4th quarter were a KB run and that not have been Kelly calling his own name several times (which everyone knows he does to a fault)....Heck, he even had a 27 yard run during all that (his longest of the whole game), yet still couldn't finish one drive for points. That's not all on the coaches....you actually think they called for a QB sneak 8 of 12 plays?? Or do you think it was an RPO play, and he called his own number most of the time?

U R Correct SocMan2 where's your irratonal loyalty

Sep 24, 2018, 11:40 PM [ in reply to +1 Leaving it to Swinney ]

for KB? U didn't drink enough of the KB Kool-aid? I believe as you do, the margin of victory at A & M would have been greater, if TL would have stayed in the game.

I have to agree with CootSmackDown. IMO, we needed KB against A&M.

Sep 24, 2018, 11:56 PM

TL looked a bit off in that game. Bryant looked poised. We’ll never know for sure, but to me it looked like the coaches (once again) got that one right. There’s a reason K.B. played almost the entire second half.

I should add that playing a thousand miles away in a different time zone in a tight game in front of 104,000 crazed Aggies as a freshman should effect ANYONE. Lawrence continues to amaze me and at the stage, I think the coaches have made the right call naming him the starter.

null

Re: Trust me my friend the time was not right until now.

Sep 24, 2018, 9:31 PM [ in reply to Trust me my friend the time was not right until now. ]

Agree we needed Kelly’s experience and steady hand that game at TAMU. Also think this may happen again at times here and there, but certainly less and less. In any case I’m glad we have these guys. I love the way Dabo is handling this. Letting Trevor develop in real time is the right move.

Re: Trust me my friend the time was not right until now.

Sep 25, 2018, 12:12 AM [ in reply to Trust me my friend the time was not right until now. ]

KB was played after we got the lead because he fits the “Prevent Offense” that we went into that nearly lost the game. Trevor wasn’t given the right tools (play calls) to succeed in that situation. We didn’t do jack in the second half with KB at the helm btw. We nearly lost the game. You have minced facts to support your summary of what happened - revisionist history at best.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Sep 24, 2018, 7:11 PM

Seeing the opposing defense stacking 8 or 9 in the box every game against us was getting old. There was "NO RESPECT" or fear in the passing game when KB was in there. Our offense was becoming more and more stagnant.... Now you will see defenses having having to spread out to respect the pass and our running and passing games will get better and better each game as TL gets more experience. Your only going to get 3 years of TL so kudos for the coaching staff not making the same mistake they did with wasting a large part of DW first year and playing the senior 3 and out stout way too much of the time....KB can be used as a weapon several times each game if we implemented some wildcat formations into the offense.

Sep 24, 2018, 7:15 PM

They must be coots...right?

Sep 24, 2018, 10:13 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Analysts see Lawrence named starter as right decision, key to Playoff success ]

I really hate hearing folks say negative things about Cole bc none of what was going on with him was his fault. It was the scheme that we run that was designed for a duel threat QB only. After Morris left and DW4 had to have acl surgery, Elliott and Scott was forced to scheme our bowl game with Oklahoma to fit what Cole did best, and that was throw the ball down field and hand the ball to a RB at the right time. Cole was a Pro style QB, and when the game was schemed to fit his talents, he was lights out against the Oklahoma Sooners. I'm sure that BV had a lot to do with helping out our OC's in that game planing bc he knew what the Sooner would be doing on D to try and stop Cole, and it worked out for him. Cole Stoudt was very good young man that also lost his starting job bc a better QB chose to come and play for Clemson!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2018, 10:21 PM

Thank you and you should give KB his credit also

Sep 25, 2018, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Analysts see Lawrence named starter as right decision, key to Playoff success ]

+1. You are correct. And Cole should get credit for one of our "bigger" wins against OU that really started setting us up for bigger things. Cole was a good QB with a miss-match of a scheme. Cole was a half-decent runner too but his running could not change the defense and not quite dangerous enough of an arm. I thought the UGA game was a good take on him. He could get things going but you could not rely on his talent to keep you going (like DW4 and even then he had to grow into that) Build a scheme around Cole strength and he *would* win, maybe not NC win but win enough. I bet we wished we had a Stoudt-level QB in 2010.... but we had other issues too.

DW4 started the 4th game of the season vs UNC

Sep 25, 2018, 5:57 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Analysts see Lawrence named starter as right decision, key to Playoff success ]

and took over in the 4 series of the 3rd game against FSU

Obvious all along.***

Sep 24, 2018, 7:19 PM

plus all the TNET posters***

Sep 24, 2018, 7:39 PM

Sep 24, 2018, 8:56 PM

#### Kanye Elliott,the freshman made a dumb pass behind the running back while he's not even looking and you blame the back.This smells funny,This guy's parents must be wealthy or something.He's good but knock a guy out whose tried,tested and true.I don't even think he's got enough for the Shame cocks.I don't get this one at all,guys quit staying at these schools while the coaches and schools get rich off your skills.Leave before you hurt your body and while you still can earn a living.As you can see and I hope you do, when they use you all up then it's #### you!

I just TD’d your stupid post. Easily the dumbest thing I’ve read all day***

Sep 24, 2018, 10:16 PM

Sep 24, 2018, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Analysts see Lawrence named starter as right decision, key to Playoff success ]

Another suck A$S coot making another suck A$S comment. Worry about that piece of shiot wanna be a QB that plays for the team down by the junk yard, or is that the pallet yard down at the RR track parking lot!!!

Sep 24, 2018, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Analysts see Lawrence named starter as right decision, key to Playoff success ]

I'm sure they are listening to some idiot with a 60% pulse with 2 post that just signed in to T-Net a few days ago!!! You haven't ever been very smart have you. Do you know if you were a crack baby!!!

Probably shouldn’t have

Sep 24, 2018, 9:07 PM

added Ohio State in the mix with the “ if you’re gonna beat the such and sos of the world”..... my count has us on the plus side of that one.....lol

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

New Broom Sweeps good until it gets old

Sep 24, 2018, 10:14 PM

When the new broom breaks,then the old broom will come back out! Equal playing time! Nobody should be first, but equal,both are good! KB should have shared the field with HJ last year, if this was the case this year! Why kick KB to the curb?! Forget about the numbers! The meat of the season has just begin! I hope this turning point don't cost Clemson a Championship!!! We do have hurt feelings!!! EQUAL PLAYING TIME, KB start, TL finish! Just saying,if these comments are offensive, then oh well!

Re: New Broom Sweeps good until it gets old

Sep 24, 2018, 10:45 PM

dmcknight said:

When the new broom breaks,then the old broom will come back out! Equal playing time! Nobody should be first, but equal,both are good! KB should have shared the field with HJ last year, if this was the case this year! Why kick KB to the curb?! Forget about the numbers! The meat of the season has just begin! I hope this turning point don't cost Clemson a Championship!!! We do have hurt feelings!!! EQUAL PLAYING TIME, KB start, TL finish! Just saying,if these comments are offensive, then oh well!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

No idea what this coot is saying***

Sep 24, 2018, 10:46 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: No idea what this coot is saying***

Sep 24, 2018, 11:33 PM

For your information,I AM NOT A COOT!!! Let's get that straight first! Second,if you can not say anything positive about my post, then don't post,IT"S JUST THAT SIMPLE!!! These are my opinion, not yours, just read and keep trolling elsewhere! I'M a Clemson Fan with an opinion! Like both QBs! GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Sep 25, 2018, 9:44 AM

I like Kelly but I respectfully disagree. Statistics show we are twice as efficient and effective with Trevor in the game. Kelly is a good qb and Trevor is a great qb. Doesn't mean we won't need Kelly at some point but I don't think an equal split will happen nor should happen.

Sep 25, 2018, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Re: No idea what this coot is saying*** ]

If everything is equal, what's the point in being competitive? If everything was equal, what's the point in doing anything, you're just going to get what you want anyway...

Sorry, but not everything is equal.

Sep 25, 2018, 8:00 AM [ in reply to No idea what this coot is saying*** ]

Re: New Broom Sweeps good until it gets old

Sep 24, 2018, 11:48 PM [ in reply to New Broom Sweeps good until it gets old ]

Sure, that's fine. How many plays should KB play? Are two three-and-outs enough? Until he keeps the ball 3x rather than hand it to a more effective RB? Until he gets us a 14-point lead?

Whether it's his fault or not, KB is not as effective as last year. I personally think he's playing better than last year, but if Dabo waits for us to have a 21-point lead at GT before putting Lawrence in, he never plays. Our offense is totally predictable and therefore ineffectual with KB in. All it takes is one missed assignment by an OL, or one route jumped, and the offense gets shut down.

If TL starts, we can have a 21-point lead and KB playing by the third quarter in most games.

In the event of TL injury, Brice needs reps or we may,

Sep 24, 2018, 11:57 PM [ in reply to New Broom Sweeps good until it gets old ]

yet again; find ourselves, in a playoff game, handcuffed to a one dimensional QB.

Re: In the event of TL injury, Brice needs reps or we may,

Sep 25, 2018, 10:24 AM

I hope TL does not get injured! Then who?!

Has anyone ever told you that you're a genius?

Sep 25, 2018, 8:17 AM [ in reply to New Broom Sweeps good until it gets old ]

Surely you understand why?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2018, 10:51 PM

The stats tell the story. While KB is more experienced and tenured (he is a senior), TL has more upside. The stats don’t lie. Theyre both extremely talented, but TL has a higher ceiling. I like both QBs and hope they both continue to see the field. It’s a competition and as of right now TL gives Clemson a better chance to win. He allows us to utilize the talented WR’s we have. His long ball is on point...

Sep 24, 2018, 11:35 PM

I can deal with your post! You are on point! Enough said!

Sep 25, 2018, 8:04 AM

So glad the writers and telecasters have Dabo's back on this decision. Now the week can go a proper direction around the Clemson FOC . Maybe just enough time to get ready for Babers and Syracuse .... now that the experts have chimed in .

? I only listen to Hood and Steele and Rink anyway ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic