Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TJ Green
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 3,090

TJ Green

Jan 28, 2013, 1:13 PM

Just saw on ESPN.com recruiting nation where TJ Green went from not ranked to 4 stars one day after committing to Clemson.

Seems like Dabo and Co. have found a diamond in the rough with this kid. I think he can be a big contributor once he gets a couple of years under his belt!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That should tell you a lot about recruiting services and

Jan 28, 2013, 1:16 PM

their accuracy.

It's ### silly to put so much stock in those ratings like some youngsters on this board do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That should tell you a lot about recruiting services and

Jan 28, 2013, 1:21 PM

I agree. It just seems like they didn't even bother evaluating him since he was committed to UAB.

"Recruiting services," rarely 'evaluate,' anyone.

Jan 28, 2013, 2:06 PM

They sell advertisement and memberships. They have neither the qualifications nor the resources to evaluate.

All four of the main 'services,' run around on the web with their virtual noses rammed up the top coaches' butts sniffing out something to print in order to 'provide,' information to anyone who will pay to read it.

As fun as it is it's only a game they've created to make money.

The top coaches determine who the top players are by recruiting them then most of the time the top recruits are developed by the top coaching staffs and like magic the recruiting services take credit for making the call.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, you got that right.***

Jan 28, 2013, 2:33 PM

Re: TJ Green

Jan 28, 2013, 1:18 PM

Someone liked his film. It will be interesting to see if Rivals or Scout evaluate him. They usually release rankings on a schedule but I would assume they would put in some evaluation so they don't look slack.

null

It just goes to show you how meaningless stars are.

Jan 28, 2013, 2:01 PM

They have people so brainwashed in to caring about rankings and stars that they can just easily slap one on to make a fanbase happy. Fans tend to follow the recruiting service that gives their team the most 4 stars. It's no mistake ESPN is more liberal with who they give the 4-stars to.

Here is a look inside the process of ranking and stars from an ESPN analyst... "oh, Clemson offered him? Let me look at his Youtube videos. Wow... seems fast. 4 star. STAMP!"

Clemson fans "I KNEW HE WAS AWESOME. THIS CONFIRMS IT. HERE COMES ANOTHER HIGH RECRUITING RANKING!!! OH MY GOOOD!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is ESecPN, Auburn offer got him rated.***

Jan 28, 2013, 2:27 PM

Re:Those guys know where their niche is at and they ,

Jan 28, 2013, 2:36 PM [ in reply to It just goes to show you how meaningless stars are. ]

certainly, play to it. If they have a large following for one team or conference, they will tell their fans what they want to hear. Saps.

wow, that's a big swing***

Jan 28, 2013, 1:21 PM

Further proof star ratings are a joke.***

Jan 28, 2013, 1:57 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TJ Green

Jan 28, 2013, 2:02 PM

when watching his film, i was pretty blown away. 4.4 guy for sure at 6'3-6'4. I thought hands must have been the question. Can flat out move.

Almost all of the Rival web sites were started and

Jan 28, 2013, 2:25 PM

run by fans of the schools they cover and most still are. They meet as a group and come with updated rankings I think looking film has nothing to do with the rankings. The thing I noticed when I was a member was sites that I the largest membership numbers seem to have their players upgraded. It is all money driven and has very little to do with film of the player. Plus those guys know about as much about evaluating a player from film as I do, very little.

Re: Almost all of the Rival web sites were started and

Jan 28, 2013, 2:50 PM

It's just crazy we know so little about this kid. Is he 6'2" 170 or 6'4" 200? What kind of player is he? Etc, etc.

From watching his film it is clear he can fly. He is a long strider with more burst by far than 4* Mike Williams. Looks like a great prospect from the very little film provided. Good thing I know we can trust Dabo & crew. Looks like a good kid to roll the dice on.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the blind leading the blind.***

Jan 28, 2013, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Almost all of the Rival web sites were started and ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This also proves to trust the coaches over the recruiting

Jan 28, 2013, 2:58 PM

sites.

Frankly, I think anybody can run a recruiting site.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I certainly trust our coaches over recruiting sites when it

Jan 28, 2013, 4:53 PM

comes to evaluating and rating talent in general, and especially when it comes to meeting our specific needs and determining which players are best for Clemson.

I don't, however, trust that every player we sign is the player that our coaches had rated the highest or wanted the most; and that is why you see people questioning and expressing disappointment. In fact, a lot of times the guy we wind up with may be the 3rd, 4th, or 5th choice. Still, when we sign a player that does not warrant a lot of stars according to the recruiting services, you will invariably see posts on here reassuring us to "trust our coaches", as if they are getting the player they want, one which by their estimation is better than the guys with higher star-ratings. A diamond in the rough, a sleeper, under the radar. That may or may not be the case. In fact, the coaches ratings may be identical or very close to the star-ratings, and they are just taking the next guy on the list that will have us.

So, "trust our coaches" is often a mis-applied argument, as it is not that we trust the recruiting services ability to evalutae talent and how it fits our needs better than our coaches, not at all.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

No reason to belly ache over recruits that we don't land.

Jan 28, 2013, 5:08 PM

Of course there will be preferred players but I would rather have players that want to be a Tiger over a 4/5 star any day.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I couldn't care less if they are on the fence when they sign

Jan 28, 2013, 5:38 PM

as long as they come around. I'd rather have a straight up stud, 5-star like CJ Spiller any day over a walk-on who has been a Clemson fan all of his life, even if he does have to learn to like it (like CJ did).

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I guess you loved the Ken Hatfield years then.

Jan 28, 2013, 5:44 PM [ in reply to No reason to belly ache over recruits that we don't land. ]

Because recruiting sure fell off then, and attendence and the football program with it. Whether you call it belly aching, disappointment, or concern, losing in recruiting is directly related to losing on the field, so it's natural to feelthe disappointment when it happens, and this is the place to talk about it.

- H. L. Mencken

TJ Green - HIGHLIGHTS - link

Jan 28, 2013, 4:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtg_nwbb8vQ

He's a gamer, they just hadn't watched his film before Clemson and Auburn offered. He wasn't rated before now he's rated.

Re: TJ Green - HIGHLIGHTS - link

Jan 28, 2013, 6:13 PM

runs like a gazzelle

Replies: 21
| visibility 3,090
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic