Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
T-net lawyers get in here
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1,507

T-net lawyers get in here

Apr 18, 2014, 6:44 PM

Since there have been no complaints from players/coaches within the program, could Clemson University sue FFRF for libel/slander? It would seem that by pressing this non-issue they are simply disrespecting Clemson University for their own benefit.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And, while you are at it, answer this one, too

Apr 18, 2014, 7:01 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15274299

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

My stock answer when someone asks me, "Can I sue?" is sure

Apr 18, 2014, 7:15 PM

It's a free country. Of course, you can sue (as long as you have an attorney bright enough to construct a colorable claim).

The better question is "Can Clemson sue FFRF and win?" The answer to that is no. They are simply relying on information reported in The Chronicle of Higher Education to seek redress of grievances against the State of South Carolina on behalf of their members from SC (which apparently may include Clemson faculty members). What they can't do at this point is sue Clemson because they do not (yet) have standing. The very public manner in which they have sought redress was likely intended to stir up a plaintiff for them - a current or former player willing to come forward and allege that he felt compelled to participate in religious activities by an agent of the State of South Carolina.

I agree with your last statement wholeheartedly, for I

Apr 18, 2014, 7:41 PM

posted previously that I believed this was a fishing expedition by the FFRF in hopes of snagging a complainant upon which to base further action(s.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hartins, in all seriousness that is a great answer. I have

Apr 18, 2014, 8:04 PM

said from the start this about money and publicity.

Money: The ffrf is seeking donations so it picks a fight with some one it thinks it is intellectually smarter than and tries to embarrass them to back down. In return it's supporters say great and send donations for the cause. The only problem is Clemson did not back down and more people came to side of Clemson in this dispute. In other words they picked the peps to mess with.

Publicity: ffrf hopes to make a big deal so the big liberal press picks up the story and runs with it. Well once again they picked the wrong school to pick on and severely under estimated the response.

Carpetbaggers can be picked out of a crowd in a hurry. I do not understand why they would try the Clemson folks on for size. Clemson clearly does not fit them well look at the response. I think they will either double down and try again or hope that the weekend takes wind out of the sails of the story and they move on. Come Monday we will know more about the direction or non direction this story takes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hey harry, I knew you'd

Apr 18, 2014, 10:10 PM [ in reply to I agree with your last statement wholeheartedly, for I ]

Wake up for on your Friday nap and straighten us out.

Help me here.

Apr 19, 2014, 5:04 AM [ in reply to My stock answer when someone asks me, "Can I sue?" is sure ]

Could their "victim" be a recruit?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.

Apr 18, 2014, 7:20 PM

You can't libel or slander a whole university. Dabo couldn't either. Not really any defamation here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Even if Dabo could prove they are actively seeking...

Apr 18, 2014, 7:22 PM

to have his livelihood taken away by demanding he be terminated? They've said that directly if I'm not mistaken.

I genuinely don't know the answer here. Just seems if someone places accusations that have no basis and try to take away your paycheck there could be something there?

Calling for someone to be fired isn't libel/slander

Apr 18, 2014, 7:25 PM

They would have to make a maliciously false claim that damages Dabo's reputation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Thinking about it now, I guess half of TNet...

Apr 18, 2014, 7:35 PM

would be behind bars or broke if there was a case here.

FIRE DABO, FIRE JACK, FIRE BROWNELL, FIRE BARKER...I could go on. Lol.

Dabo is a public figure. It is nearly impossible to win a

Apr 18, 2014, 7:35 PM [ in reply to Even if Dabo could prove they are actively seeking... ]

Defamation suit as a public figure which is why you don't see politicians filing defamation suits when outrageously malicious things are said about them. Remember when GOP operatives spread lies that John McCain had an illegitimate black son during the 2000 primary?

Think about it - Dabo is a football coach. Folks spread lies about football coaches every day in attempt to have them fired. Like being a politician, it goes with the territory...

Re: Dabo is a public figure. It is nearly impossible to win a

Apr 18, 2014, 9:53 PM

Thanks for your responses. So, in the age of social media, does anybody successfully sue for libel/slander anymore? It doesn't take long to find malicious comments nowadays.

No they wouldn't sue, because libel is very hard to...

Apr 18, 2014, 7:30 PM

prove under US laws. Plus this group ain't even worth it. Now in Europe you could definitely sue for libel.

It doesn't take a lawyer to know that...

Apr 19, 2014, 8:01 AM

if you've got a filing fee and a few bucks for a lawyer you can sue anyone with or without justification.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. How? It's a public institution. People can sue them

Apr 19, 2014, 8:36 AM

to try to gain redress for what those people think is wrongful behavior.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1,507
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic