Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Surprised we haven't recruited any safeties this year.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 3,173

Surprised we haven't recruited any safeties this year.

Dec 24, 2015, 10:25 AM

If Green goes pro, and there is a good chance he does, we will be down to Jefferie Gibson and Van Smith at safety and no more safeties on the roster. Muse has likely gotten too big at 230+ pounds to play safety and will move to linebacker. We just have not recruited many these last four years. Venables likes his long tall safeties, but we will only have one of those on the roster. Smith is small at about 5-10 and 188 lbs(though he's listed at 6-2, he's not close).

One of the big advantages Venables has right now is that Alexander can guard your best receiver without safety help and our big linebacker sized safety can be used to stop your running game. We could lose our entire starting four back there to the NFL. Given our recent success in putting early entrants into the NFL, I would imagine those four are looking at that and seeing that it may be time to leave, Grasshopper.

Are there any safeties we are still recruiting?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still have Jadar Johnson as well

Dec 24, 2015, 10:30 AM

a guy like Ryan Carter could switch there especially with Wiggins back at Nickel. Muse sticks at safety at least through camp next year. Where is he playing at LB?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

at 6-4 and 235 pounds by next fall I don't see Muse playing

Dec 24, 2015, 10:39 AM

safety, but outside linebacker. Ryan Carter is 5-9, so that seems unlikely.

Jadar could play safety, but won't be the long tall type that Venables likes. I could see Denzel Johnson moving to safety. Also, Shadell Bell may be a candidate to move given our depth at wide receiver.

Just figured with our success and Reed being a good secondary coach, that we would have more success recruiting that position. We probably need another corner as well. Hopefully, Mullen is that guy.

http://www.tigernet.com/view/scholarships/football.do

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: at 6-4 and 235 pounds by next fall I don't see Muse playing

Dec 24, 2015, 11:07 AM

6-4 235 is essentially what Jayron Kearse is right now.

Kearse was 224 at the weigh in. He looks taller and thinner

Dec 24, 2015, 11:12 AM

than Muse who weighed in at 222 at the beginning of fall camp and is now reportedly up to 230 pounds.

It would be great if he can move like Kearse and maintain his speed, he would be a wrecking ball at safety, but it seems more likely he's a 235-240 linebacker by next fall with the speed to guard tight ends and backs out of the backfield or to get to the quarterback on a blitz.

The Big Weigh-In numbers.

Dec 24, 2015, 11:13 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/The-Big-Weigh-In-The-numbers-13926

Re: Kearse was 224 at the weigh in. He looks taller and thinner

Dec 24, 2015, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Kearse was 224 at the weigh in. He looks taller and thinner ]

I agree but I wouldn't be surprised if Kearse is playing at 230. And if we had a 235lb safety that could move well, that would be tremendous. He could lay some serious hits.

If he gets to/over 240, I agree though. However the coaches probably say what position he will be and he will have to adjust accordingly.

The big fella can move. Check out these videos from high

Dec 24, 2015, 11:22 AM

school. It's a series of short films from different games. Just let them run one after the other.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/tanner-muse/sGGXz_TnEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/videos.htm?videoid=4bbf71ce-7dfb-4a92-b51c-d8064ea462bc

Re: The big fella can move. Check out these videos from high

Dec 24, 2015, 11:36 AM

Good call. I think we may have drop off in the secondary but it'll be okay.

Also, people don't realize our entire D could leave if they wanted.

Dec 24, 2015, 11:50 AM [ in reply to at 6-4 and 235 pounds by next fall I don't see Muse playing ]

Why not? That is Jayron's exact Size...

Muse can play S, Jadar is good. Wiggins can play anywhere, plus Gibson is a long lean baller.

We'll sign some in 2017.

Maybe a surprise commit down the stretch this year if we have some spots open up.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2015, 10:28 PM [ in reply to at 6-4 and 235 pounds by next fall I don't see Muse playing ]

> safety, but outside linebacker. Ryan Carter is 5-9,
> so that seems unlikely.
>
> Jadar could play safety, but won't be the long tall
> type that Venables likes.

Jadar has played safety from day one.

Re: Surprised we haven't recruited any safeties this year.

Dec 24, 2015, 10:33 AM

We did. We recruited Bryan Edwards as a Safety. He decided to go to Sakerlina as a WR instead.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was very late in the game after Spurrier left and

Dec 24, 2015, 10:40 AM

we didn't get him.

Shadell Bell both could be moved to DB***

Dec 24, 2015, 10:41 AM

Re: Shadell Bell,Denzel Johnson both could be moved to DB***

Dec 24, 2015, 10:42 AM

dang typos

I don't see green leaving

Dec 24, 2015, 11:15 AM

TJ is LONG and athletic as can be but he's a tad bit raw and needs to mature before he makes that leap. He'll be a baller if he stays another year. Hope he does!

Hope you're right about him and hopefully Tankersley too but

Dec 24, 2015, 11:20 AM

winning a National Championship may change the dynamics of those situations a bit. :)

Jadar Johnson is already a safety

Dec 24, 2015, 11:27 AM

And will start in place of Kearse next year. Green isn't leaving. Johnson and Green will be your starting safeties. Denzel will play safety also. Gibson and Smith have lots of eligibility. I think Muse stays there. We are deep at LB. Don't worry. BV and Mike Reed got this.

Re: Jadar Johnson is already a safety

Dec 24, 2015, 11:49 AM

Don't forget Korrin Wiggins he's a . We bigtime player and will fit in somewhere we will be fine.

Re: Surprised we haven't recruited any safeties this year.

Dec 24, 2015, 11:57 AM

Tanner Muse too big? Haha ever heard of Taylor Mays?

Joking right? Van Smith, Gibson, Green, Muse, Wiggins, Denzel?***

Dec 24, 2015, 11:17 PM

Denzel Johnson. Big time player, HARD hitter. Muse plays safety 100%. Speed. Centerfielder.***

Dec 24, 2015, 11:20 PM

Link to Green's decision to go pro, or top 3 round draft geade

Dec 24, 2015, 11:25 PM

Please troll.

Edwards clearly isn't the brightest bulb on the block. Don't get too excited.

Replies: 22
| visibility 3,173
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic