Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fixing the ACC made simple.......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Fixing the ACC made simple.......

Dec 16, 2012, 9:54 AM

Reward the schools that invest and produce in football. Unfortunately, revenue sharing rewards mediocricy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can you blame ND for not wanting to split revenue

Dec 16, 2012, 10:03 AM

evenly with say .....wake?

Re: Fixing the ACC made simple.......

Dec 16, 2012, 10:18 AM

And who is to determine what type,and what level of investment is needed.
Duke went to a bowl game this year.Can they compete with a Bama,an LSU,a UGAor Florida in producing the type of program that consistently ,year in and year out play for NC's or participates in BCS bowl games?
Not so simple after all ?

No, but at least they trying to improve.... now reward them

Dec 16, 2012, 10:22 AM

accordingly. Should we split things evenly with virginia or wake??

UVa certainly has made the effort, based on $ spent. They

Dec 16, 2012, 10:59 AM

are just getting really poor return on investment at this time.

Are you suggesting that basic business principles should be

Dec 16, 2012, 11:01 AM

considered as more important than academia's political correctness?
I doubt if that would be allowed by the University Presidents.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

unfortunately they don't see college football as a business

Dec 16, 2012, 12:12 PM

which it obviusly is

Dec 16, 2012, 11:09 AM

...but I don't think it is. How do you measure? Is investment measured solely in absolute dollars, versus proportional to something like enrollment, endowment, revenue, academic budget, etc.? Is production measured strictly by wins or by awards, weekly All-ACC this and seasonal All-American that, graduation rates, NFL drafts, TV market pull, etc.

I don't think there is necessarily some bizarre academic ideology behind how all conferences structure it now. It's just easy. Waaaay easy to evenly disburse the money than to come up with some formula that will probably be contested year in and and year out, requiring meeting after meeting and change after change.....on and on.

Dec 16, 2012, 11:15 AM

I may be over simplifying this, but would it be fair to give teams 50% of bowl revenue to the team selected and 50% to the league, that would reward teams that get selected to more profitable bowl games.

Sure, that may make sense, but...

Dec 16, 2012, 11:23 AM

..isn't it just tinkering around the edges? Even though the ACC is fifth in line in conference payout, splitting the bowl revenue alone that way would be a small change to the other 11 or 15 teams (considering expansion as some cry for here).

It makes sense from a fairness standpoint. But I'm not sure it motivates any of the teams who are usually mediocre to bottom.

How will that fix the ACC?

Dec 16, 2012, 11:23 AM

How will giving the lower ranked teams less money make the ACC better. No one is blaming Clemson or FSU for the dismal standing of the ACC. It's all the other teams that's causing the problem. The ACC needs those teams to get better and depriving them of funds is no way to do that.

Sure it does

Dec 16, 2012, 11:52 AM

It's called an incentive. Right now, what is the incentive to get better? They're going to get paid regardless. If you base the pay on performance, you either work to get better and get more money, or flounder in mediocrity and get paid nothing.

Re: Sure it does

Dec 16, 2012, 12:19 PM

No! No! No! Makes way too much sense. It's a business approach that would NEVER win over the academic types. They don't like any business approach. Remember, these are the same people who want everyone to play, regardless of their effort in practice or talent. Give everyone a medal is their mantra. The very same ones that would award a replica of the conference championship trophy to all conference teams to build everyone's "self-esteem".

i don't mind revenue sharing football monies if the monies

Dec 16, 2012, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Sure it does ]

are ear marked and put back into each conference member's football programs.

i wouldn't mind seeing a % based assignment either; i think you can do both and monitor each school's commitment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Business is about leverage. First step to fixing

Dec 16, 2012, 12:28 PM

ACC revenue issues is winning big games. It's a chicken or the egg issue but if you take care of what's in front of you, ie beat the chickens, then you produce leverage and demand.

The ACC is a football train wreck because Clemson can't win big games. FSU doesn't win big games. VaTech doesn't win big games. Miami doesn't win big games. Add to that UNC, GaTech and the U's off field issues and I hang my head. Why beat up Wake? They have won as many championships as us in the last 20 years? BC has been to two of the championship games.

Sure we got our brains beat in at the negotiating table and maybe there was nepotism with Raycom.

The Bottom line, win and this conference is fine. Our loss to the ##### and fsu's to the gators were devastating given the opportunity on the table. The SEC was reeling, potentially shut out of the MNC, and up stepped the marshmallow tough ACC, a disappointing Oregon and a flat KState.

To be the man, ya gotta beat the man.

I agree about winning, but in order to win you must stay

Dec 16, 2012, 12:57 PM

Competitive in the recruiting. Money and media play a big role in this, just behind winning. The 3 best recruiting schools in the acc, fsu,Clemson and vt.

Easy

Dec 16, 2012, 2:05 PM

Fix all conferences by getting ESPN and the SEC out of bed together

This guy gets it!

Dec 16, 2012, 2:26 PM

ESPN-SEC is the problem. Another sports network (such as Fox Sports) needs to creat a partnership with a conference, such as B1G. Of course, the ACC will still be a dead man walking.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic