Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can we clarify- ND didn't almost beat Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Can we clarify- ND didn't almost beat Clemson

Nov 11, 2015, 10:21 AM

They almost TIED Clemson in regulation, to perhaps force overtime.

Sick and and tired of hearing how ND almost "won".

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Notre Dame NEVER lead the game....

Nov 11, 2015, 10:25 AM

and never even remotely threatened to take the lead.

They got out-played by Clemson for three and-a-half quarters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

EXACTLY

Nov 11, 2015, 10:31 AM

We dominated Notre Dame in every facet of the game. The monsoon kept them in the game when we went ultra-conservative due to game conditions. If it's not raining, we hold off that comeback with better ball possession in the 4th quarter.

Bottom line: Coaches knew that even running 3 plays and punting would require a tremendous effort for ND to comeback (to their credit, they did) but the were just playing the odds to avoid a turnover in torrential rain.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To their credit tho,

Nov 12, 2015, 7:00 AM

Maybe they wouldn't have turned the ball over so many times if it wasn't raining so much. Regardless, everyone is right that game shouldn't of been that close and didn't "almosy" beat us.

Sure glad our side of the fields was DRY...***

Nov 12, 2015, 10:40 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To their credit tho,

Nov 12, 2015, 11:04 AM [ in reply to To their credit tho, ]

and we would not have played so conservatively in the second half....

Hate to po po on this...but ND certainly had more than 100

Nov 11, 2015, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Notre Dame NEVER lead the game.... ]

yards of Total offense than Clemson. I realize the score what matters. If it was not the turnovers by
ND...good chance we would lost the game.

but that doesn't change the fact....

Nov 11, 2015, 10:39 AM

that they never lead the game and never even remotely threatened to take the lead.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: but that doesn't change the fact....

Nov 12, 2015, 11:02 AM

> that they never lead the game and never even remotely threatened to take the lead.

Hate to play devil's advocate here but that's not entirely correct.

They did have 6 dropped passes (one was in the end zone), 6 fumbles, and 4 turnovers, none of which helped their cause. But to say they were never a threat is a stretch imo. The only players that were completed and utterly dominated on that field that night were Prosise & Fuller.

That will go down as one of my favorite victories of all time as a Clemson fan... But I'd hardly call it a cake-walk.

Did they almost win? Almost? Maybe. But almost isn't good enough. And no matter what any of them say, they cannot escape the facts - we won, fair & square.

we had dropped passes too...

Nov 12, 2015, 11:33 AM

If you want to get ticky tacky and picky choosy I'm pretty sure I remember us dropping an easy td catch in the rainy conditions which would be caught in dry conditions..and offense has an advantage in the rain over the defense..so we probably would dominate more in ideal conditions..

And they barely beat Temple...idc how good Temple is they dont have 4 and 5 star athletes..Temple ALMOST beat Notre Dame yet I never hear that argument from the media..

Re: we had dropped passes too...

Nov 12, 2015, 12:52 PM

You're right. And further to that point, I think our offense has matured a lot since that game, as has our play-calling. :)

You can't know that. If ND hadn't trailed by double digits

Nov 11, 2015, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Hate to po po on this...but ND certainly had more than 100 ]

for the majority of the game we may have opened it up a little more and scored more than 24 pts. The coaches took the air out of the ball because they didn't want to risk a big TO that could let ND back into the game, and they thought our defense could hold them down the entire game. Things didn't work out quite as well as hoped and we let them get back into the game, but showed on a couple of occasions that we could move the ball on them - we just went away from a lot of that stuff.

deflated balls? Goodell may put us on probation***

Nov 12, 2015, 12:55 PM

If, if, if, if....I've heard to all, so let me translate:

Nov 11, 2015, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Hate to po po on this...but ND certainly had more than 100 ]

If the game were played in South Bend, it was sunny, the Irish didn't turn the ball over, and had more time- they would've won.

Actually we don't any of that. Given our highly conservative play calling on O and D late in the game. But whatever makes them feel better.

We made a calculated decision

Nov 11, 2015, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Hate to po po on this...but ND certainly had more than 100 ]

In a monsoon, with a big lead, we played it safe.

And it worked.

They made mistakes because they were airing it out in the rain. Besides none of those turnovers were the truly unforced kind. We took the ball away. That is an achievement by our defense and isn't something to be apologized for.

And if Clemson didn't turn the ball over 6 times against USuC

Nov 11, 2015, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Hate to po po on this...but ND certainly had more than 100 ]

in 2013 we would have won.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

If my Aunt had Balls She'd be my Uncle***

Nov 11, 2015, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Hate to po po on this...but ND certainly had more than 100 ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle....

Nov 11, 2015, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Hate to po po on this...but ND certainly had more than 100 ]

They did turn the ball over, they never led, they never came close to leading. They came close to tying.

Translation, they came to the Valley and got their ### kicked.

Yeah, Clemson had the same on Fl State last year

Nov 12, 2015, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Hate to po po on this...but ND certainly had more than 100 ]

...did anyone ever talk about how Clemson almost BEAT Fl State the same way??

had it not been for the rain

Nov 12, 2015, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Hate to po po on this...but ND certainly had more than 100 ]

we would not have been so conservative in the second have - they turned the ball over because they were forced to play catch up. If it was dry we would have continued to put up points...and they would not have fumbled. Works both ways.

if worms had machine guns...

Nov 12, 2015, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Hate to po po on this...but ND certainly had more than 100 ]

thanks, Jim Harbaugh

Re: Notre Dame NEVER lead the game....

Nov 12, 2015, 2:19 AM [ in reply to Notre Dame NEVER lead the game.... ]

“Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.” Samuel Clemens

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

Here is what an almost win looks like on your record.

Nov 11, 2015, 10:30 AM

L

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alabama's not so close loss:

Nov 11, 2015, 10:32 AM

W

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought it was more like

Nov 12, 2015, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Here is what an almost win looks like on your record. ]

SElC

Exactly . . . the team that came the closest to beating us

Nov 11, 2015, 10:32 AM

is Louisville.

Right. But Clemson did almost beat Auburn in 2010

Nov 11, 2015, 10:33 AM

and no one ever mentioned it (unless they were a Clemson fan)

Yep, or FSU from last year.....an L is an L

Nov 11, 2015, 12:10 PM

suck it little Clovers

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: Can we clarify- ND didn't almost beat Clemson

Nov 11, 2015, 12:21 PM

ND got thier A$$ handed to them for 3+ quarters, didn't get into the red zone until 9 minutes left in the game. Yes they came back mainly because we didn't have the defensive depth developed like we do now. All I've heard since Clemson kicked thier A$$ is how could a should a would a, cry me a freaking river. 4 Turnovers (takeaways), rain, injuries, (MW & KW say hello). Excuses Excuses Excuses. Shut up already, Go Tigers!

Tigers 24, Domers 22

Nov 11, 2015, 1:14 PM

That is all that matters.

TYVM.

Comments from every Notre Dame fan I've read were...

Nov 12, 2015, 6:37 AM

they outplayed us and they were the better team that night.

When we were playing prevent D and trying to run the

Nov 12, 2015, 1:03 PM

clock out, they sure as heck gained more yards than us. Did they miss the first 3 quarters??

To end all doubt, should have stomped them when had chance

Nov 12, 2015, 7:13 AM

We let up and let them back in game. Keep the peddle down and it could have been similar to Miami

But ND had to play in the rain.***

Nov 12, 2015, 11:30 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

I'm disappointed we let ND come back in that game. We had it

Nov 12, 2015, 12:14 PM

won, and nearly let them tie. With that swing of momentum, the crowd would have been in a state of shock...

I think if that game went to OT, Notre Dame very well could have won. Glad that didn't happen.

Re: I'm disappointed we let ND come back in that game. We had it

Nov 12, 2015, 3:09 PM

What would the media be saying if we came form double digits down to win 24-22? Would they be saying great comeback win or would they still be spinning it Notre Dame's way? I think we all know the answer.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic