Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday sermon: When things go wrong ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,732

Sunday sermon: When things go wrong ...

Oct 20, 2013, 3:55 PM

I've got so many Psalms I could toss out here today ... so many pleading for the mountains to cover us, to let the ringing taunts of our enemies pass, to let the memory of what was the most bitterly befuddling games we will ever witness in the Valley simply vanish.

But I don't want to forget this night. And I don't want anyone else to.

Why? Because if we forget, we lose just about the only positive thing that can be salvaged from a night when everything went wrong.

A nightmare forgotten is a nightmare repeated.

Anyone who has put themselves out on the line has been there. Whipped by a combination of talent and circumstance. We are not near that bad, but the chance to prove it is long gone. And, unless we run the table and get to try again, it ain't coming back.

So, we can pout. We can whine. We can point fingers. We can pretend was all beyond our control, an avalanche of karmic happenstance triggered by Seckinger's fumble on the first play.

We can ... but I propose we do none of these. We stand up, shake hands with the man that beat us and make d@mn sure it doesn't happen again.

So, first things first: Congrats to the Noles. I know I was not alone in anticipating victory. But we were presented a butt-whipping on both sides of the ball, augmented with lackluster performance on our part.

I always say that I expect 14-0, until proven otherwise. And the Holes were only too happy to oblige. It was never the game it should have been ... and I salute FSU for making it so.

If there's any good news, I cannot envision anyone else on our schedule -- ANY team -- who can boast that sort of talent. And as long as we don't provide our opponents the same sort of gimmes we gave the Noles ... a team that clearly didn't need our assistance ... then I see no reason we won't match or exceed last year's team.

That ain't perfection, but it's pretty dang good. And I can live with that.

There's going to be plenty of venting over the next days. Some heartfelt, some half-witted trolling. With that in mind, and for the first time this year, Monday Moaning is in effect. If you don't want to hear it, stay off the boards for a day or two.

After that, we get back to the business at hand ... giving the Turtles a shell-cracking salutation as they leave the conference.

As we prepare, Tigers, don't forget this game. But do not let it consume you. Prove that our time is the spotlight is deferred, not denied. There is still a feast laid before us.

The fact that we're not eating on gold-plated dishes doesn't make the meal any less delicious.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No Swarovski crystal? It's time to get back to Solo cups.***

Oct 20, 2013, 4:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do what we gotta ...***

Oct 20, 2013, 4:02 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Back to the basics. No more glamour shots.***

Oct 20, 2013, 4:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so FSU now becomes "Team #3", 1st one left out

Oct 20, 2013, 4:04 PM

this loss may save us an entire lifetime of angst and complaining as the team left at the altar watching Bama and Oregon play for the championship.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And on a positive note....***

Oct 20, 2013, 4:06 PM

Re: so FSU now becomes "Team #3", 1st one left out

Oct 20, 2013, 5:55 PM [ in reply to so FSU now becomes "Team #3", 1st one left out ]

Had we played against either Alabama or Oregon the way we played last night, the results wouldv'e been approximately the same.

Not happy at all about last night's outcome, but I'll entertain no crap from fans of chickentech, UGa, Fla, LSU, etc. We played like horse manure (part of which FlaSt was responsible for) against a Top 5 team who was favored to win and the outcome was predictable. FlaSt didn't get to be a top team by luck.....neither did we.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Selah. Wasn't that what David said when he broke

Oct 20, 2013, 4:05 PM

a harp string.?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was Cowturd doing his bookie spiel.***

Oct 20, 2013, 4:07 PM

Re: Sunday sermon: When things go wrong ...

Oct 20, 2013, 4:08 PM

I've been covering my eyes all day waiting for that. Thanks, Rev.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All true. Like all truth, many individual applications.

Oct 20, 2013, 4:19 PM

What I took from it was "Pride goes before the fall." Our coaching staff has been more focused than previous ones about staying humble, but nevertheless I have heard way too many words like "explosive" and phrases like "no one can stop us but us", from players and coaches alike, to make anyone comfortable going into a fight like FSU. If you don't think the other guy can shut you down, he probably will.

The other guys came loaded for bear, and we, something else. If this causes a realization that everyone has to beat his man on every play, it was a good thing.

I don't like Jenkins' tweet any more than anyone else, but if he sees a pattern maybe there is one. If this puts to bed the attitudes that cause it, this was good awaking. We'll see.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For all our claiming otherwise...

Oct 20, 2013, 6:23 PM

...I believe we got lost in the lights of the circus. It will be seen if this loss makes us a better team in late November.

Agree. Too much looking in the mirror, too much focus

Oct 20, 2013, 6:55 PM

om how we look to other people, too pleased with ourselves. When that is the focus, doubt results. And we definitely looked unsure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sunday sermon: When things go wrong ...

Oct 20, 2013, 4:36 PM

I knew you'd come through with some wisdom for the congregation!
:)
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too. Knew the Rev would put things in perspective..***

Oct 20, 2013, 10:56 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,732
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic