Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday sermon: When Grandpa goes senile...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Sunday sermon: When Grandpa goes senile...

Jan 19, 2014, 11:33 AM

I was planning to praise the basketball team and offer words of encouragement for the upcoming death march. I was going to castigate those of little faith who try to read a pronouncement of doom into one bad game. I was ...

Then Grandpa went senile.

It was bound to happen sooner or later. There we were, at the annual recognition supper for Sunday school perfect attendance and Grandpa just strutted up to the lectern, a bit of drool and half-eaten green bean casserole dangling from his chin ... and he started blabbering. Maybe it was his meds, maybe another small synapse in his brain began misfiring, maybe he saw someone else getting praise and he just couldn't stand not being the center of the universe like he used to be.

It was at that moment I realized I was living a small slice of a Gamecock fan's life.

You see, I love my Grandpa. He's the greatest man I know. In his time, he was a local legend, a bit of a braggart at times, but heck it was part of his charm.

It wasn't so charming to see Grandpa wobbling in front of God and man, stealing the spotlight from fifth and sixth graders.

Ignore these basketball players ... pay attention to ME!

It was a bit like watching Steve Spurrier yesterday. In the middle of a "Legends of Gamecock basketball" celebration, the wrinkled, semi-sauced self-appointed funnyman of poultrydom decided to steal Frank McGuire's spotlight for his own. By now you know the gist of his spiel. And the fans, so desperate for anything to cheer about in yet another train wreck of a basketball season, egged him on.

I'm well past caring what semi-senile people ramble on about. I live with one, changing bedpans and pads, chasing imaginary lizard out of the room at 4 in the morning, arguing without end about the phantom Pakistani midgets that creep down from the attic to sing gospel songs that on Grandpa can hear.
After a while, you just accept the fact that he's out of his mind half the time and make sure his collards are cut into bite-sized pieces. But I can only imagine the chorus of craziness that accompanies advancing senility in Columbia.

I remain thankful our coach doesn't crave the media spotlight like a visored crack #####. He didn't come out in a Legends of Basketball weekend at Clemson and steal the spotlight. He didn't bother to say that our All-American defensive end had 4 times the sacks of the Capons' first rounder AND he's going to leave Clemson with a degree and a first round pick of his own.

Nope, Dabo's dagger went straight into the withered heart of an alcoholically embalmed zombie of a coach and those who cling to his desperate gambits for attention. Dabo and Clemson have something he will NEVER possess.

I'll repeat that, since I know senile folks have trouble grasping reality at times. They will NEVER have what Clemson has, and nothing he can cluck or strut or drool about will change it.

My only advice to folks who still get worked up about the ravings of a raving Florida prune is this: ignore the sad creature. He was human once like you, and deserves our pity, not umbrage.

Remember the bowl game? Heck, I can't remember my shirt!

And, if any of Grandpa's clucking syncophants come up waving five fingers or trying to thrust thumbs where they don't belong, simply ask them "Now, who did y'all play again? Did you win your bowl game? I'm sorry, I can't recall."

It's obvious Grandpa can't recall, either. He hasn't mentioned it since.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sunday sermon: When Grandpa goes senile...

Jan 19, 2014, 11:40 AM

Spot on REV, loved it!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2014, 11:43 AM

Bite-sized pieces of collards?!?! Classic!!! Sir Charles and I thank you for the serious laugh this morn!!

Good story, but grandpa's & senile folks may be insulted

Jan 19, 2014, 11:54 AM

by the association with the old fart. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you saying he wasn't talking bout me and bill?

Jan 19, 2014, 12:12 PM

###, I thought I was famous or something.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You a grandpa, senile, or both? Did you get offended

Jan 19, 2014, 12:18 PM

by being compared to the Old Ball Crotch, I mean Coach?
;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Al, you haven't lived until ....

Jan 19, 2014, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Good story, but grandpa's & senile folks may be insulted ]

...you go into an 8 a.m. staff meeting to discuss staff productivity after having to stay up all night because "The Pakistani midgets wouldn't stop singing in my closet."

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

listen..USuC has beaten Clemson 5 times

Jan 19, 2014, 11:54 AM

if the coach, the team, and their fans want to be snotty about it they can. All we can do is deal with it. They may have been a jerk wad things to say, but all of his comments are true.

Waiving a BCS game, win, trophy in their faces isn't going to change the 5 straight blowouts.

All we can do is keep our heads up an support our teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Would you trade places with them?

Jan 19, 2014, 12:13 PM

The defense rest, Your Honor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

would you like a a prostate the size of a melon?

Jan 19, 2014, 1:11 PM

i have no further questions for this witness your honor

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: listen..USuC has beaten Clemson 5 times

Jan 19, 2014, 12:57 PM [ in reply to listen..USuC has beaten Clemson 5 times ]

Agree with you. Do not use a good story to talk bad about someone.

Jan 19, 2014, 12:00 PM

Amen!

Luv ya, Rev! ** "Semi-sauced!" ** Ha! Ha! [+1]

Jan 19, 2014, 12:48 PM

Go, Tigers!

Best post on here in a while Rev!***

Jan 19, 2014, 1:00 PM

Re: One of your best ever Rev.******

Jan 19, 2014, 1:06 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh JESUS! ***

Jan 19, 2014, 1:28 PM

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, all I can say is

Jan 19, 2014, 1:52 PM

Bless his little heart!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bump for the night-time singing Pakistani midgets...***

Jan 19, 2014, 8:00 PM

I don't think he is imagining the Pakistani midgets

Jan 21, 2014, 6:06 PM

They come to my house too.....but they like to play and sing blue grass.....which is a little eerie. Considering they look like they drug themselves from way out of the hills.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

You ain't seen nuttin' yet.

Jan 19, 2014, 8:02 PM

It should be an interesting couple of years.

great stuff rev! i see some coot lukers have 'been here.***

Jan 21, 2014, 6:28 PM

Point for being spot on again Rev!***

Jan 21, 2014, 6:38 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic