Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday sermon: They are not men, but beasts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,654

Sunday sermon: They are not men, but beasts

Sep 6, 2015, 10:22 AM

What we know after most of Week 1 is in the books:

Notre Dame is huge. And good. Just how good we shall see once we can tell just how bad Texas remains, but the BB heads look like a landmark game in the Valley.

Georgia Tech is amazingly adept at destroying teams that have no expectations beyond a paycheck.

Louisville's defense is pretty darn good, when its offense isn't putting it in a hole.

NC State promised to work on its running game, and they did. Troy isn't a bad team, but the Wuffies wore them down.

UNC promised to work on its defense and it did. Too bad for the Heels the offense took the summer off. Amazingly inept performance again a team we should beat by at least 3 TDs later this year.

Wake and Syracuse looked like powerhouses against their respective cupcakes. Perhaps they're just in the wrong NCAA division?

FSU's whipping of whoever the #### they played was more of a siege than a stomping. It reminded me more of some of our past season-openers where we let someone hang around ... out of kindness, I suppose ... until superior firepower took the day.

Meanwhile, in the Valley, there was little kindness in Clemson this day ... a fact I was delighted and a bit surprised to see. Against a decent, but thoroughly outmatched Wofford team, we were not men, but beasts.

Offensively, there was never any doubt we could ... and would score. HAving a dozen guys catch passes for more than 300 yards and having all three QBs finish with ratings above 100 wasn't really a surprise. But I know how many folks sort of rolled their eyes when Dabo would talk up a kid named Hunter Renfrow. Bet nobody's rolling their eyes now.

And how many folks expected the running game to click that well? How many folks remembered just how good Dye can look. An O line that came in with question marks came out with a few exclamation marks. With two freshmen getting major reps all day, this was one of the best early season efforts I can recall along the line. We may well have finally fixed the short-yardage worries that have plagues us since James Davis graduated.

How about a walk-on kicker cooly nailing six PATs? How about a third-string QB tracking down a bad snap in the end zone 15 yards behind him and turning disaster into a 2-yard gain? How about ... well never mind. You probably have your favorite moments, Mine was seeing Dye, fit and healthy again after far too many injuries, punishing tacklers as he powers into the end zone.

Now about the defense ....

There is no way to replace the wealth of talent we had last year, except to restock. And after watching the skill, conditioning and fundamentals on display yesterday, I think we've restocked nicely. Unlike FSU, which had to wear North Whodat down, or GTech, which never had to break a sweat, the Tiger D eviscerated Wofford from the get-go. We had third-strong guys in there by the second quarter.

I'm dishing out heaping bowls of pain ... you want some?

It was a clinic in desolation, and Scott Pagano was the new Warrior of the Wasteland. There were plenty of new faces, faces that could have missed assignments or succumbed to the first game in the Valley. If they did, I didn't see them.

And if I'm GTech, hoping to see the Tigers falter against the option, I'm getting a bit worried about now.

Usually at this point, we're saying "It's early" or "They're young" or "Give us a few weeks to get in the groove." I'm going to use that on the punting game, the only spot I found troubling.

This year, our guys are ready. There's an edge, an on-field meanness unseen in a while.

There is greatness ahead of us. All we have to do is claim it.

And God help those who would stand in the way.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First vote for RevDodd.

Sep 6, 2015, 10:23 AM

#Imjoi.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great sermon Rev!

Sep 6, 2015, 10:25 AM

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sunday sermon: They are not men, but beasts

Sep 6, 2015, 11:03 AM

My sermon would be on patience;Look to the next game,not ahead.

Re: Sunday sermon: They are not men, but beasts

Sep 6, 2015, 11:05 AM

Amen Rev. There is greatness ahead for us. Hope the fans hang around to enjoy it! Lots to celebrate but we need to do it after the final whistle.

Amen Brother!! Good stuff.***

Sep 6, 2015, 12:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,654
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic