Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday sermon: Clearing the temple
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Sunday sermon: Clearing the temple

Oct 11, 2015, 1:29 PM
tombstone.png(658.8 K)

As a few folks know, in my former pre-snake slinging life, I was a sportswriter. And one of the best pieces of advice I got was from fellow Tiger sports editor, long-time Tally newshound and much-missed Clemson grad Steve Ellis.

"Never be afraid to ask a question," Steve said as I was heading out for my first "real" interview. "It's the questions you didn't ask that will bite you in the end."

So I open today's missive with a nod to the chapped rear end of David Hale. He wasn't afraid to ask his question, and I respect that.

It was, however, a ridiculous question to ask in the wake of a thoroughly dominating effort by the Tigers over the Bees. And Dabo fielded it with just the right amount of umbrage and spice.

Saturday was the perfect day to clear the temple. All he needed was a money-changer dumb enough to start selling goats and doves. David was that guy ... not evil, not incompetent, but yea and verily, he picked the wrong question and the wrong manner to ask it.

The result: a stew that's been simmering the better part of four years, was ready to be served:

https://youtu.be/QG1JWJFGfOU?t=1m2s

It was time ... past time in the minds of many Tiger fans. We have seen the changes, rejoiced with the victories and wept with the losses. And none who follow Clemson can argue that the weeping has been far less than the rejoicing.

But those who do not follow Clemson ... or those who do and fear what they see ... cling to that word, that vision of a stumbling Tiger who cannot pounce without tripping over its own paws.

They want that ... deeply NEED that to be true. The alternative is far too unpleasant for those who would stand in the way of the Sons of Clemson.

So, after our 33rd straight win over an unranked foe our 13th straight win at home and a rare domination of one of the toughest outs on our schedule, that word came up again.

And in about three minutes, Dabo cleared years of a foul stench that has followed the Sons of Clemson like a cowbird pecking at the dung of a long ruminated meal.

I have no doubt that Dabo has been waiting for this chance. Next to that word, the notion that our coach is some aw shucks cross between Andy Griffith and Jed Clampett has been all that keeps our opponents from tossing and turning at night. After all, if the C-ing word is really dead, and Dabo is really a smart guy who, it turns out, is two steps ahead all the way, then Clemson is going to be a force in college football for quite a while to come.

Ace Evans has done a masterful job of chronicling the stumbles and bumbles of nearly 50 rankd teams who have lost to an unranked foe since we last did. And our chance to once again avenge that loss, to NC State in 2011, is coming on Halloween.

I fully expect to see Clemson still unbeaten at that point. I also expect to be accosted by inebriated Wuffies still desperately clinging to the forelorn hope that somehow, some way, the C-ing word still has some magic.

And I fully expect those hopes to be shoved down their alcohol and bile-greased throats by a team that has no fear, no slacking and no desire to ever hear that word again.

Dabo cleared the temple of the blasphemy of Clemsoning Saturday. There's nowhere to hide now. Anyone who brings it up now reveals themselves as lazy or vainly looking for a reason not to believe in Clemson. It's gone, dead and buried.

Now, it's up to us to tramp the dirt down, Tigers. Let there be no question to be asked.

And let the only "C" words to escape our opponent's lips be "Crap! Clemson's coming!"

Message was edited by: RevDodd®

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sunday sermon: Clearing the temple

Oct 11, 2015, 1:32 PM

:)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if the Oculus is happy I'm happy. ??***

Oct 11, 2015, 1:34 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen and Amen, Rev!

Oct 11, 2015, 1:41 PM

Enjoy your Sunday after meetin' dinner.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2015, 1:44 PM

If anyone didn't know you were a writer they do now. Please forward your post to the folks at TCI. They certainly could use a mentor.

As always great post Rev

Oct 11, 2015, 1:52 PM

But me thinks he asked the right question at the right time. Talk about getting a quote! Dabo is the man.

tell em rev!***

Oct 11, 2015, 2:00 PM

Home run post***

Oct 11, 2015, 2:23 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Rev,

Oct 11, 2015, 4:22 PM

Dabo knew he'd get ink over that rant and he knew that his boys would attack opponents seeking vengeance for the media's disrespect. He keeps this in their minds and uses it a tool to keep their resolve high.

I've heard some ole JoePa complain about how difficult it is to get a winning team up for it's game week after week. I think Dabo is using the media to accomplish that which others can't master. It's Hollywood type theater with a Disney type ending.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well done sir

Oct 11, 2015, 5:21 PM

Well written!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent work as usual Rev!***

Oct 11, 2015, 5:31 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey "Chick"..may I call you Chick?!

Oct 11, 2015, 6:09 PM

Well Sir Reverand..you must have written for a different sports rag than I (and probably Hartins too)..but you turned out mighty fine and learned, and I commend you again for this creative & masterful masterpiece.

Keep writing and GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dunno: Like Johnny Cash, I been everywhere...***

Oct 11, 2015, 8:30 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I dunno: Like Johnny Cash, I been everywhere...***

Oct 11, 2015, 8:33 PM

cash did a cover.. hank snow did the original, definitive version

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ahh, you know your stuff!

Oct 11, 2015, 9:06 PM

Commander Cody did a cover as well, but the late great Canadian had the original!

Re: I dunno: Like Johnny Cash, I been everywhere...***

Oct 11, 2015, 10:22 PM [ in reply to I dunno: Like Johnny Cash, I been everywhere...*** ]

this is definitely in the top 5 posts on TN I've ever read! Great job, Rev!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eloquent As Usual, Rev

Oct 11, 2015, 7:34 PM

I bet you knew what lugubrious meant without having to look it up :).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another great sermon Rev.

Oct 11, 2015, 8:14 PM

Heck, I'd probably sit through a sermon in your church without nodding off. Especially if the snakes are out.

I was at that NC St. game in 2011, and the only game that I was more miserable at was the OB vs WVU. The tide has turned, the fat lady has sung, and the wind is in our sails. That pretender program down the road is sinking like a vortex in a bathtub, and Dabo's investment is paying off. It's a great time to be a Tiger!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Oct 11, 2015, 9:19 PM

Let that old b@st@rd goat burn away. Let him burn. The fire has swept through the halls and singed clean a cobwebbed hall,- destroying the goat, the ghosts of the goat, the smell of the goat. Let it all burn.

Oct 11, 2015, 10:11 PM

Thumbs Up for the JC Superstar reference!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic