Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Summary about SoybeanWind
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Summary about SoybeanWind

Mar 16, 2015, 6:04 AM

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2015/03/twitter-reacts-to-soybeanwind/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Summary about SoybeanWind

Mar 16, 2015, 6:33 AM

I stand on the side of not paying amateur athletes a stipend. If are on scholarships to the universities that recruited them , that should be enough. Always has been , and we should not allow this " Me First " attitude to denigrate the game we love in such fashion.
This is a tough call ? Not where I come from . Kids today and their sense of entitlement are a large part of why this country lags further behind the upper echelon of developed nations ...nobody wants to earn it anymore and increasingly they are being taught that if you just cry and complain enough someone will bail you out in America. Spurrier is the kind of coach who wants to pay his players . The guy that seeks every advantage no matter what the ethical or even moral tipping point is .
Glad that Dabo said it . I agree . Leave the money out of it . Doesn't matter what the coaches or university are profiting , it is an amateur athletic venture and should remain so .

Ranted.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Mar 16, 2015, 6:53 AM

I can't see how the non-athlete students are going to graciously accept athletes getting both a scholarship and a stipend while their tuition continues to go up. If and when stipends occur, they are no longer exempt from being criticized for crappy play because they will cease being amateurs and become paid employees of Clemson University. You think there is an attendance problem at Littlejohn now, wait until the players get paid for losing....students won't come then, I'll assure you!

I'm kind of torn. I've always figured the full scholarship

Mar 16, 2015, 7:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Summary about SoybeanWind ]

was the compensation, but nowadays, there is enormous money being made by folks selling jerseys with kids' numbers on them, marketing them in video games, using their likenesses for all sorts of stuff. There should be compensation for that. It doesn't need to be a stipend, but kids who are getting marketed and profiteered from while in college should have some sort of set-aside that is theirs when they graduate.

Re: I'm kind of torn. I've always figured the full scholarship

Mar 16, 2015, 8:03 AM

But all this is only profitable because of the NCAA system. If they want to keep the money then go make it outside of the University that is providing so much for you. It is part of the college process. Do you think Co-op students, graduate reseachers or interns get paid their true value compared to other workers? College is designed to prepare you for the real world. Atheletes are already getting paid far more than they would without the NCAA system. If they don't take it for granted and work hard they stand to earn a huge payout when they leave just like all of the other students on campus.

null

well said.***

Mar 16, 2015, 8:09 AM

Coo-Op students and interns don't typically make

Mar 16, 2015, 8:36 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm kind of torn. I've always figured the full scholarship ]

Thousands if not millions for their employer.

So that is not a good comparison.

Co-op***

Mar 16, 2015, 8:37 AM

Re: Co-op***

Mar 16, 2015, 8:42 AM

Nobody currently playing any sport , male or female ...at Clemson currently is an employee , to my knowledge. Did you mean at Coot U ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Coo-Op students and interns don't typically make

Mar 16, 2015, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Coo-Op students and interns don't typically make ]

You are aware that after Football and Basketball every other sport takes money out of that account right?

You are aware of the fact that most Universities operate their sports in the red not the black right?

Lets say you pay money to football players.... Good luck with Title IX. Also good luck funding the rest of your AD.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Mar 16, 2015, 9:00 AM

Some folks see this as an injustice done to the student-athlete , but in reality if the NCAA were to ever allow it's charges to be paid while attending a public institution then I would have to say that the entire system would most likely falter ...if not completely fall apart .
Whether or not there is huge profit at the schools makes no matter , the kids aren't able to make that money for those universities without first being given a free education and room and board . The entire process of making this big money is set up by fans buying tickets and paying for gear , and by the universities even fielding the places to have these athletic endeavors undertaken in the first place.
Perspective.

DB23

Mar 16, 2015, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Coo-Op students and interns don't typically make ]

Maybe not in your profession but generally Co-ops and Interns operate the same as other Engineers within many companies. Many times that includes specialized R&D projects that the budget does not allow for a 100k+ Senior Engineer to work on. These projects can easily turn thousands or millions of dollars in profit due to the work of a unpaid or underpaid employee. Sure the student would be in high demand when they graduate but that is no different than an athlete going to the NFL.

null

who do you work for? Do you demand more

Mar 16, 2015, 8:13 AM [ in reply to I'm kind of torn. I've always figured the full scholarship ]

Money based off your CEO ? income?

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

If I was the face of the company I would***

Mar 16, 2015, 9:58 AM

No. You demand more because you are a valuable employee

Mar 16, 2015, 10:01 AM [ in reply to who do you work for? Do you demand more ]

and the company knows you are a valuable employee and doesn't want to lose you because you are being underpaid. They probably aren't going to simply give you the money if you don't ask for it first. They will keep you underpaid as long as they can. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you feel about

Mar 16, 2015, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Summary about SoybeanWind ]

TigerTown graphics and other companies making "Fear the Dreads" T-shirts with a #2 on the back? Would they have ever made money off of those shirts, or even made the shirts at all, if Sammy Watkins wasn't wearing #2 and obliterating his competition on Saturdays?

But Sammy doesn't deserve a cut of that money because he's an "amateur" and he's getting a scholarship. Instead some shop owner gets to reap profits off Sammy's accomplishments while he can't even fill his gas tank.

Re: How do you feel about

Mar 16, 2015, 10:21 AM

Can't fill his gas tank, but has a car... Very very interesting

College football fans have a sense of entitlement that I

Mar 16, 2015, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Summary about SoybeanWind ]

find disappointing at best. They have a "me first" attitude that denigrates the game I love and the athletes that play it by denying the billions generated for coaches, ESPN, universities, talking heads, recruiting sites, etc should be shared with the people actually playing the game.

I don't know about you, but I don't watch college football because I love the NCAA or ESPN or Urban Meyer or Mel Kiper or Chad Morris or Holly Rowe.

College football fans need to get their heads out of the sand and stop pretending that this is the end of the world as we know it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College football fans have a sense of entitlement that I

Mar 16, 2015, 12:33 PM

As much as I respect the atheletes that play for our University I also don't watch the sport for them. I watch NCAA football because of the name on the front of the jersey. If keeping the integrity of the game means not getting the high profile atletes in college then I am fine with it. I don't care what level atheletes Clemson puts on the field as long as it is the highest level allowed by the NCAA.

null

Mar 16, 2015, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Summary about SoybeanWind ]

I'm not sure if your post is sarcastic or not. If it is, then well done. If not, then I think you need to brush up on what "entitlement" means. These athletes are the elite of the elite, and they didn't get to this point because they didn't earn it.

Mar 16, 2015, 8:11 AM

I just love the ignorance of thinking most ADs are swimming in cash like Scrooge McDuck... Yes Football operates in the Black but by the time the non revenue sports take their cut of the pot the over all money left is very minimal and at many Universities is in the Red.

null

So at least let them own their name and likeness

Mar 16, 2015, 10:02 AM

let them sell autographs if someone is willing to pay for them.

That doesn't hurt any non-revenue sports.

So you want to legalize bag-men?

Mar 16, 2015, 1:15 PM

That will take exactly .02 seconds to mess everything up.

You will have every coach in America selling recruits on how much $$$ they can make at their school on autographs for their boosters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would be an unsustainable bubble

Mar 16, 2015, 3:19 PM

it'd burst after a few years.

Mar 16, 2015, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Summary about SoybeanWind ]

Kind of hard to argue your AD is struggling to break even when you're paying an assistant coach 1.35 million a year.

CFB has completely fallen into the same trap as corporate America. The CEOs and executives are seeing significant raises while the workers wages aren't keeping up with inflation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Mar 16, 2015, 3:22 PM

Hiring the best coaches to make them the best players is called investing in those players.

Sorry you are too gd stupid to realize that. Also go back to FGF loser.

Message was edited by: clemtiger117®

null

Mar 16, 2015, 9:33 AM

Trending Nationwide on twitter..

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Mar 16, 2015, 9:34 AM

Where does loser Gamecock fan that posts on a Clemson website trend?

null

Mar 16, 2015, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Summary about SoybeanWind ]

Holy H€LL ! Boycott Dolce Gabbana ?

.... Though I walk through the valley !

DB23

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic