Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Study says those who call out grammatical errors are in fact scientifically jerks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Study says those who call out grammatical errors are in fact scientifically jerks

Apr 5, 2016, 10:30 AM

This just made me laugh. I make mistakes with the best of them. Smartphones are good at autocorrecting and making something you type completely unintelligible.

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Study-says-those-who-call-out-grammatical-errors-7221146.php

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Study says those who call out grammatical errors are in fact scientifically jerks

Apr 5, 2016, 10:50 AM

This may or may not be true but there is nothing wrong about speaking and writing the English language correctly. How you communicate with others says a lot about your education. If you don't take this seriously others may get the impression that you don't take other things of importance seriously. Present yourself as a person with skills and you will be received as a person of intellect and trust. Just my 'too since'!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Study says those who call out grammatical errors are in fact scientifically jerks

Apr 5, 2016, 10:56 AM

AMEN.

<--- self professed grammar Nazi, and proud of it.

Apr 5, 2016, 11:05 AM

+1 for all. :)

I sent the owner of another site an email last year with

Apr 5, 2016, 10:50 PM

every intention of helping him. I kindly explained that "are" is a form of the verb "to be" and is not to be confused with "our", a pronoun. For example, he should not write," What are are chances", when he means,"what are our chances". I explained the difference between dominate and dominant.

It was a total waste of time.....

Re: I sent the owner of another site an email last year with

Apr 9, 2016, 10:36 PM

It made a difference when you told your daughter it was important... haha.

Re: Study says those who call out grammatical errors are in fact scientifically jerks***

Apr 5, 2016, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Study says those who call out grammatical errors are in fact scientifically jerks ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 5, 2016, 10:53 AM

There's this little thing called proofreading that can prevent most errors. Otherwise, I think it's a shame that there are adults posting on forums that don't know the difference between words like their, they're, and there.

I don't call out grammatical errors, but I have a hard time holding my thumbs (tongue). So I guess that makes me a scientific closet jerk. I'm ok with it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 5, 2016, 11:02 AM

I notice them too. I hate when I catch them in my own messages. I generally don't call folks out because I know it is easy to do.

I spend all day writing technical documents. Sometimes it is nice not to have to proof every single word.

Apr 5, 2016, 11:09 AM

I do that also ... but SAP calls me a Product Information Developer. :) Unfortunately errors just jump out at me like they're taunting me, tongue out and all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 5, 2016, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Study says those who call out grammatical errors are in fact scientifically jerks ]

Agree totaltee. It really concerns me that so many kids are graduating from high school and have never been taught the most basic of English skills. There is a young lady in my area from South America working in a fast food restaurant who speaks our language much,much better than anyone else working there.... including the management. I have never heard her use any slang expressions and the others can't speak one sentence without an ain't or similar word. There is nothing wrong with having an education and using it!

Apr 5, 2016, 11:14 AM

Agree. When my kids make errors posting on social media, I reply to their posts and point out their errors in an embarrassing way. They've learned that a few seconds proofreading will save them some embarrassment.

There's a difference b/t being a d*ck and pointing out typos

Apr 5, 2016, 11:03 AM

and who/whom and effect/affect and stupid stuff like that vs making a comment about a poster on tigernet who types like 2 sentences that are a paragraph long each with random punctuation thrown in places it doesn't even belong, using words that don't actually exist, and spelling almost everything incorrectly.

if you don't care enough to use correct grammar and spelling

Apr 5, 2016, 11:04 AM

you can't really get upset when others don't respect your posts.

To me, it's more a form of laziness than intelligence. ESPECIALLY when it's blamed on this nebulous "autocorrect" gremlin.

Everybody makes typos and slip ups, but if your two lazy to

Apr 5, 2016, 11:11 AM

learn basic grammar, and understand that the way words are spelled and pronounced often changes they're meaning, then you are either a victim of unfortunate circumstances and deserve our symphony, or communicating effectively just isn't dat important too u and you deserve all of the flax that come you're way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Everybody makes typos and slip ups, but if your two lazy to

Apr 5, 2016, 11:12 AM

Just stop! Now I am really getting the giggles. :)

Re: Everybody makes typos and slip ups, but if your two lazy to

Apr 5, 2016, 11:16 AM

Good OP miss TLT. I was afraid to comment on this subject for fear of being 'land blasted'. Glad there are tigers out there who really are All In!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnX-EPaAIdU

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 5, 2016, 11:42 AM

Too funny. Thanks for sharing.

I think I am going to post this on my door at work. It seems my office is full of jerks.

Cormac McCarthy doesn't use quotation marks,...

Apr 5, 2016, 12:26 PM

He is one of the greatest living American writers. So why should anybody on here have to use perfect grammar on a message board that obsesses over 18-22 year olds?

Re: Cormac McCarthy doesn't use quotation marks,...

Apr 5, 2016, 1:55 PM

No one has to use perfect grammar on any message board. It just seems like a good idea to try to use words correctly when publishing your thoughts on a public forum.

McCarthy's writing style and use of quotation marks, or lack thereof, cannot and should not be used to justify an author's poor grammar, regardless of the medium in which the text is published.

Re: Cormac McCarthy doesn't use quotation marks,...

Apr 5, 2016, 5:19 PM [ in reply to Cormac McCarthy doesn't use quotation marks,... ]

I don't expect perfect grammar on a message board; however, it is nice when you can actually understand the point that they are trying to portray. I know you have read those messages that simply boggle the mind.

Bottom line, I was amused by the article and thought others might be too.

Post of the century***

Apr 5, 2016, 12:27 PM

I only call out bad grammer when it gives me the upper hand

Apr 5, 2016, 12:29 PM

against uneducated idjits and coots.

Re: I only call out bad grammer when it gives me the upper hand

Apr 5, 2016, 7:05 PM

before they gather pitchforks & torches, it's grammar.

no thanks needed, i'm here to help.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 5, 2016, 7:10 PM

tormenting the villagers never gets old, does it?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if i spoke honestly, they might not invite dsp back.***

Apr 5, 2016, 7:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: if i spoke honestly, they might not invite dsp back.***

Apr 5, 2016, 7:26 PM

not if you decorate your lawn properly

vlad to know you.***

Apr 5, 2016, 7:27 PM

Apr 5, 2016, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Re: I only call out bad grammer when it gives me the upper hand ]

Now that was just nit-picky. ;) That little ol' 'e' was just sitting in while 'a' went to the bathroom. (Please no discussion of which bathroom 'a' uses.)

"they'll" drive 5 mph above the posted speed limit, but

Apr 5, 2016, 7:40 PM

someone dangles a participle on a forum for sport and it's "annie get your gun"?

that's patently... oh my, i've said too much already.

;)

haha, have a great night 3Ts.

Happy Birthday Week, dsp.

Apr 5, 2016, 8:57 PM

Keep on keepin' on.

Re: Happy Birthday Week, dsp.

Apr 5, 2016, 9:55 PM

as always...

oh me, oh life! what will your verse be 3Ts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqY_1BH7TNQ

http://www.history.com/news/the-birth-of-ok-175-years-ago

Re: Happy Birthday Week, dsp.

Apr 5, 2016, 10:39 PM

My verse was written a long time ago. Now I'm busy trying to change it.

By the way ... As the written word goes, some of us have struggled to keep up with O and K. Is it OK, Ok, Okay, okay, or ok? Still not sure, but I feel Ok with Ok. And the hand jesture still works.

as long as there's paper & pen, you can write anew...***

Apr 5, 2016, 10:44 PM

So, I am a scientific jerk ... sounds like an accurate

Apr 5, 2016, 12:30 PM

description.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

And those who make a ton of grammatical errors are in fact

Apr 5, 2016, 2:01 PM

subjectively idiots.

haha, i enjoy upsetting the trained monkeys.***

Apr 5, 2016, 6:47 PM

Apr 5, 2016, 7:46 PM

I've been wondering how someone gets a score of "huge jerk" in the big five personality test?

Like I always say...

Apr 5, 2016, 9:50 PM

Message was edited by: Francis Marion®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Like I always say...

Apr 5, 2016, 11:52 PM

cobra commander is not going to like this

Apr 5, 2016, 11:43 PM

Oh no! What have you done.....

Apr 6, 2016, 12:25 AM

if we didnt hvae grammar poleic; thne hwo wuold we communicaet wiht eahc ohtre? Thoes coots wuold be so confuesd thta thye wuold qiut postnig on t-net.

So - I will appiont mysefl as Officail Grammar Poleicman. So wathc yuorselvse frmo now on.

Misspelled grammertecal?

Apr 6, 2016, 3:08 PM

:)

Apr 10, 2016, 8:50 AM

Not to nitpick, but "in fact" should be set apart with commas in your topic title.

In fact, that might not be the case.***

Apr 10, 2016, 9:16 AM

Apr 10, 2016, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Study says those who call out grammatical errors are in fact scientifically jerks ]

It is the title of the article. Message the author. ??

Apr 10, 2016, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Study says those who call out grammatical errors are in fact scientifically jerks ]

Okay, so repeat after me:

Owah...

Tajuh...

Kayam...

Now say it really fast!

lolol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic