Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Student ticket plan is shortsighted for students
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,279

Student ticket plan is shortsighted for students

Jul 9, 2018, 11:38 AM

All of those opposed to students paying for tickets, just guaranteed that result in the next 5 years. Demand for student season ticket will exceed allotment available, likely this year, but easily as student body size grows. That will result in an increased allotment each subsequent year because "that is what the students want". Sure, student government can resist and a certain amount of tickets will remain free for now, but eventually those who do not want to risk not getting tickets in a lottery will demand it.

The new plan is a terrific compromise for the short term, but I agree with most that the camp out system wasn't broken and as a result we are fixing a problem that didn't exist. The only positive is the revenue will grow by several million from student tickets.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Student ticket plan is shortsighted for students

Jul 9, 2018, 11:46 AM

Also, marketing of student tickets for profit, by those that have no real interest in football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2018, 11:53 AM

All of those opposed to students paying for tickets, just guaranteed that result in the next 5 years. Demand for student season ticket will exceed allotment available, likely this year, but easily as student body size grows. That will result in an increased allotment each subsequent year because "that is what the students want". Sure, student government can resist and a certain amount of tickets will remain free for now, but eventually those who do not want to risk not getting tickets in a lottery will demand it.

The new plan is a terrific compromise for the short term, but I agree with most that the camp out system wasn't broken and as a result we are fixing a problem that didn't exist. The only positive is the revenue will grow by several million from student tickets.

See Mickey's report for an actual informed opinion.

https://www.tigernet.com/blog/mickey-plyler/Ticket-Revenue;-Freshmen-Report;-Five-Star-Prospect-17035

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2018, 12:04 PM

Not sure what was intended by this, but revenue will increase by about 1 million this year from tickets. When students who want to buy tickets cannot get them, they will increase the allotment being sold. That will result in more revenue.

null

I dont think the allotment or demand has changed

Jul 9, 2018, 11:58 AM

Much in 20 yrs.

I remember people complaining about not getting tickets back when I was in school in the 90s. Block seating, fatties leaving, 1 guy going in with 10 student id's, we're all complaints back then.

The big games of course. No problems getting tickets to wafford...no1 complained about wafford tickets.

With social media, the complaints are just more visible.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: I dont think the allotment or demand has changed

Jul 9, 2018, 12:07 PM

That is exactly my point. Students have never said they wouldn't buy tickets. The demand has always been there and will increase with a larger student body. This plan simply flipped the complaint from "I don't want to pay for tickets" to "There are not enough tickets for sale"

null

Anything is possible, but I doubt it will get to a

Jul 9, 2018, 2:45 PM

Point where 10,000 students are clamoring to buy tickets.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Anything is possible, but I doubt it will get to a

Jul 9, 2018, 5:05 PM

Do Bridge students still have the option to buy tickets?

Jul 9, 2018, 9:55 PM

I was very pro free tickets. It's a Clemson tradition, camping was great, etc.

After I went to a school where you just pay for tickets, I came to see its not all that bad. What I don't like is what Clemson is charging. 220 dollars is too much. Hell I paid slightly less than half of that at LSU and they threw in a 'free' t-shirt.

I think paying for tickets is bad for individual students but good for the university as a whole.

Here's what I think the positives and negatives when it comes to charging for student tickets.

Negatives: loss of tradition, cost to students

Positives: revenue for the university, guaranteed ticket for student, monetary incentive to go to games

People on tnet are fixated about the lack of students in seats but let's be clear, this proposed "solution" is far from shortsighted, the opposite I'd say. Ultimately, lack of attendance is an excuse to justify generating money from those seats without having to say it. You're 100% right this will lead to all tickets being purchase only.

What will fix the lack of students in seats is a tying ability to buy tickets to showing up through a points system. Let students transfer their tickets back into circulation for other students or sell them to other students. If they have two home games with unused tickets, put them in a group that can buy tickets last, after freshmen if any are less or add a monetary penalty if they want to buy tickets the next year.

Message was edited by: mattcah®

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,279
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic