Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stripped Allen screw in door handle
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 151

Stripped Allen screw in door handle

Mar 27, 2020, 2:09 PM

French Door handle to back porch is loose. Dogs have been pawing at it to open the back door (smart dogs, but it sucks) so it is loose. Went to tighten it and it appears the allen screw in the handle (to remove the handle) is stripped. Any secrets on how to remove it? Is there some special tool other than a standard allen wrench that will remove it?

Thanks

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Drop of super glue on the tip of the allen wrench

Mar 27, 2020, 2:10 PM

Let it sit up and dry. Then unscrew it. Take pliers and remove screw, nail polish remover to clean off allen wrench tip.

Just a wild guess. Of course allen screw would be toast too. Wrench should be ok though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep***

Mar 27, 2020, 2:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

use a wooden match

Mar 27, 2020, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Drop of super glue on the tip of the allen wrench ]

then you can just throw all of it away after you take the allen screw to the Ace Hardware to get a replacement. Or, I guess you can just take the door handle.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

brilliant

Mar 27, 2020, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Drop of super glue on the tip of the allen wrench ]

I would have drilled it out

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m guessing one of those bits to remove any stripped screw

Mar 27, 2020, 2:11 PM

Would work? Maybe?

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=stripped+screw+extractor&crid=2QWVTSDPFC44S&sprefix=Stripp%2Caps%2C264&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_6

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I bought one of these sets thinking it would be good to have

Mar 27, 2020, 2:13 PM

then could not find it when I needed it.

Found it a year later.

Have no idea where it is now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think I have 2 or 3

Mar 27, 2020, 2:14 PM

Couldn’t put my hands on any of them right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I have one I used once

Mar 27, 2020, 2:18 PM

haven't been able to find it since. I have a vague vision in my head about where it is, just can't equate that vision to reality.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First, milk in the freezer

Mar 27, 2020, 2:13 PM

secondly, check the lint trap

thirdly, cut a slot across and use flathead

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Easyout.

Mar 27, 2020, 2:19 PM

Its like a reverse threaded, tapered, drill bit that cuts into the wallowed out head.

Looke like this:
https://www.grainger.com/product/2LKN9?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI07LKi6K76AIVE4eGCh191QaBEAQYAiABEgJxRPD_BwE&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI07LKi6K76AIVE4eGCh191QaBEAQYAiABEgJxRPD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!281698275543!!!g!469986199820!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then, when it breaks in the allen wrench hole

Mar 27, 2020, 2:21 PM

weld a nut to it so you can back it out. Because you can't drill the easy out because its hardened steel. And brittle.

Not that I've ever done that.

More than once.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have you tried

Mar 27, 2020, 2:20 PM

sticking your dik in it?

You may be able to hammer a torx bit into it

Mar 27, 2020, 3:01 PM

that's the star shaped ones

send me a snap chat of your situation and I'll help.

I'm bored as hellat work right now.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

problem is...i think it is reverse threaded so I don't need

Mar 27, 2020, 3:13 PM

to extract the screw until I remove the knob (TWSS)

I think a sledge hammer will take care of it though, that and a new door knob.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

left handed threads would be bizarre for that type of

Mar 27, 2020, 4:04 PM

application, but could be...

we sent our "plant services group" aka the janitor/weedeater/mechanic handimen to replace a doorknob on the mechanical superintendant's office a while back.

they beat the door knob off with sledgehammers. and carefully installed the new knob.

The brand new knob looked great, but the door was smashed to absolute shiiit. It was funny as crap.

the door wouldn't even close anymore.

HAHAHAHAA. This made me LOL in real life

Mar 27, 2020, 4:14 PM

because I may be living that life soon.

I left out the best part.

Mar 27, 2020, 4:43 PM

The whole time this was going on, the superintendent just sat at his desk, working, acting like those guys weren't out there raising T-total helll. Then he left the door like that for about 6 months.

Dude is in his mid 50's...retired navy.... nothing gets this guy excited. Those types of people are rare in my industry and in general.

Every door handle I've replaced has had a left-hand threaded setscrew

Mar 27, 2020, 5:20 PM [ in reply to left handed threads would be bizarre for that type of ]

The screw is installed into the center cylinder for the door handle assembly, which is inside the handle itself. Since 99.99997% of people know "righty tighty," the setscrew is left handed. When you turn it the "normal" way to tighten it, it backs the setscrew out of the cylinder assembly and into the hole on the handle.

Perfectly acceptable use of LHT there and actually has a good logical reason for doing it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Use more spit

Mar 27, 2020, 3:03 PM

spit is the best lube

Replies: 19
| visibility 151
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic