Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Clemson Radio Booth to Be Named in Honor of Jim Phillips
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Football Update: Clemson Radio Booth to Be Named in Honor of Jim Phillips

Jun 21, 2013, 1:00 PM

Clemson Radio Booth to Be Named in Honor of Jim Phillips

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man, the university is really dishing out the honors today.***

Jun 21, 2013, 1:13 PM

null

Message was edited by: luckyj®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucky Johnson

Re: Man, the university is really dishing out the honors today.***

Jun 22, 2013, 1:50 PM

Very long past due!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The family is very honored and pleased by this

Jun 21, 2013, 1:14 PM

announcement. Also very thankful of Coach Ford's comments about dad in his ROH statement. Dad greatly liked and respected both Coach Ford and Coach Wilhelm, and no 2 are more deserving of being included in the ROH

We are all very happy for you and your family!

Jun 21, 2013, 1:16 PM

This is a great day for Clemson!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Yes it is, thanks***

Jun 21, 2013, 1:24 PM

I have great memories as a kid listening to your dad

Jun 21, 2013, 1:18 PM [ in reply to The family is very honored and pleased by this ]

on Saturdays. He was one of a kind and will always be the voice of the Clemson Tigers in my mind. This honor was past due.

I still think your dad deserves the ROH, regardless of the

Jun 21, 2013, 1:20 PM [ in reply to The family is very honored and pleased by this ]

college requirement. His ability to verbally paint the mental image such that you really thought you were "watching" the action was truly remarkable. His heart, talent, passion, and dedication are worth much more to so many Clemson faithful than whether he graduated college. I'm appreciative of the honor they are bestowing now, but will always believe he is truly worthy of the Ring of Honor!

Your father deserves the Ring of Honor, as well.

Jun 21, 2013, 1:22 PM [ in reply to The family is very honored and pleased by this ]

We all feel this way, and we'll continue to say so until he's added. But this is wonderful news, and I'm so happy for your family.

"The rock has strange powers. When you rub it, and run down the hill, the adrenaline flows. It’s the most emotional experience I’ve ever had." -Michael Dean Perry

"If you don't like Clemson, something is wrong with YOU." -Dabo Swinney

Re: The family is very honored and pleased by this- striper

Jun 21, 2013, 1:53 PM [ in reply to The family is very honored and pleased by this ]

very well deserved I saw so CU at ND footage the other day w your dads radio on top of it. it was magnificent. brought back great memories

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Striperfan

Jun 22, 2013, 2:12 PM [ in reply to The family is very honored and pleased by this ]

I had the honor of working in that booth with you and Jim.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice and deserving honor but not good enough - he should....

Jun 21, 2013, 1:22 PM

have already been inducted into the ROH. I know he doesn't have a 4-yr. college degree but an exception IMO should be make in his case. He made a contribution to Clemson athletics that no announcer will ever come close to - in this day and age we will never have another actual Voice of the Tigers like he was and for as long as he was since different announcers do different games now.

He deserves the ROH IMO - nothing less.

Re: Nice and deserving honor but not good enough - he should....

Jun 21, 2013, 1:53 PM

He didn't need a 4yr. Degree he was nature born.

This Honor is perfect.

Jun 21, 2013, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Nice and deserving honor but not good enough - he should.... ]

From the Clemson Website, here are the eligibility qualifications for the Ring of Honor:

Eligibility: This committee will recognize individuals who have demonstrated consistent and unique national excellence in their sport during their Clemson career. Their accomplishments must be significant on an individual and team basis. Their statistical accomplishments must be noteworthy, but they should also have an outstanding record in terms of leadership. In general, they must have made a noteworthy contribution to the history of the Clemson Athletic Program.

Athletic accomplishments after their Clemson career are not a primary consideration in the nomination, but they must retain a commendable record of citizenship after they leave Clemson. A candidate must be a member of the Clemson Hall of Fame and must hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year University or college.

Financial contributions to Clemson University will not be a consideration when evaluating the candidates. For a coach to be nominated, he or she must be retired from coaching that sport at the college level.

Mr. Phillips certainly was a wonderful man and was The Voice of Clemson Sports, but does he qualify for the Ring of Honor?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: This Honor is perfect.

Jun 21, 2013, 2:20 PM

Based on that, did Bob Bradley qualify?

Jun 21, 2013, 2:24 PM

Yes.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Looks to me like it only allows for athletes and coaches

Jun 21, 2013, 2:35 PM

to my knowledge, Bradley was neither. I'm not saying Bob Bradley didn't deserve to go into the Ring of Honor, but clearly rules have been bent before and could be again in the case of Jim Phillips.

What sport did he excel in?***

Jun 21, 2013, 4:52 PM [ in reply to Re: This Honor is perfect. ]

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2013, 4:50 PM [ in reply to Re: This Honor is perfect. ]

Yes......Clemson grad.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are correct and this should bring closure to his career.

Jun 21, 2013, 4:47 PM [ in reply to This Honor is perfect. ]

The 4 yr degree should never be excluded for our highest athletic honor as it would somewhat lessen the academic side. That being said, Jim was a great friend of Clemson.

"Friend of Clemson." What a ####### joke.***

Jun 21, 2013, 4:53 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nice and deserving honor but not good enough - he should....

Jun 22, 2013, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Nice and deserving honor but not good enough - he should.... ]

You're right! We are now in the chase the money era. That job for Jim was much bigger than money. It was Jim's love and passion for Clemson that he mainly worked for.

We really do appreciate the support and ROH sentiments,

Jun 21, 2013, 1:29 PM

but I can assure everyone of one thing. He personally would have no problem with it and having his name just a touch below those men in the ROH. They were about the games. He was just a very fortunate participant in their exploits, and he'd be the first to tell everyone that

His humility should not obscure the fact that

Jun 21, 2013, 4:56 PM

THE eternal voice of Clemson football should be in the Ring of Honor.

Very deserving

Jun 21, 2013, 1:57 PM

I am happy to see Jim, Danny, and Coach Wilhelm all honored this year. It's time--past time.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Can't believe it took 10 years for this to happen****

Jun 21, 2013, 2:00 PM

Re: Can't believe it took 10 years for this to happen

Jun 21, 2013, 2:17 PM

true.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Clemson Radio Booth to Be Named in Honor of Jim Phillips

Jun 21, 2013, 3:48 PM

It really don't seem like Jim has been gone for almost 10 years. I can still hear his voice like it was just yesterday he did a game. RIP Jim

Clemson could give his family an honorary degree

Jun 21, 2013, 4:33 PM

then put him in the ROH. But I think that would be a bit too far. I like the decision to basically make all radio broadcasting at Clemson "his," because it belongs to him like the Rock belongs to Howard

Re: Clemson could give his family an honorary degree

Jun 21, 2013, 4:53 PM

Honorary degree would not satisfy 4 tr degree requirement. What has been done is the correct correct honor.

....if you're small-minded and rigid.***

Jun 21, 2013, 4:58 PM

That's great! Can't believe he's been gone 10 years.***

Jun 21, 2013, 6:44 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic