Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Watson says Clemson should have won at FSU in 2014
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

FB Update: Watson says Clemson should have won at FSU in 2014

Oct 24, 2016, 11:07 AM

Watson says Clemson should have won at FSU in 2014

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shoulda, coulda, woulda

Oct 24, 2016, 11:15 AM

I don't care about what we should have, could have or would have done back in 2014.

Get it done this year.

This Saturday is what I care about.

Go Clemson!

Re: FB Update: Watson says Clemson should have won at FSU in 2014

Oct 24, 2016, 11:35 AM

Deshaun is correct - our defense dominated the line of scrimmage that night. Had Stoudt made that short easy throw to a wide open Leggett or if Lakip had not missed 2 field goals (including a 23 yard chip shot) that game would never have gone to overtime. Then there is the CJ Davidson fumble in the red zone with a 1:37 left, the errant snap etc...

But 2014 doesn't matter; it's all about this Saturday night - we gotta execute as a team, protect the ball, stay focused, hit hard, and play smart. If we do those things we will win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stoudt = worse Clemson QB ever***

Oct 24, 2016, 11:37 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Idiot^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oct 24, 2016, 11:47 AM

Nm.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nope, I agree . .

Oct 24, 2016, 2:08 PM

he's the worst I can think of.

Re: Stoudt = worse Clemson QB ever***

Oct 24, 2016, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Stoudt = worse Clemson QB ever*** ]

ATTA BOY. REALLY CLASSY.

Oct 24, 2016, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Stoudt = worse Clemson QB ever*** ]

Not the worse...a lot of guys haven't even seen the field. He looked great at times. I think it was more of the play calling. He could do some thing real well. He is also a fellow Tiger. Maybe you need to pull for a different team.

What a monumentally stupid post

Oct 24, 2016, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Stoudt = worse Clemson QB ever*** ]

Not only is it classless and low, it's also factually wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well sadly there has to be a worst in history

Oct 25, 2016, 2:40 AM

and anytime I hear his name or someone brings him up I just think to myself " self, I sure am glad he isn't our QB anymore". Sorry if that offends you. Changethe Tampax and get over it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2016, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Stoudt = worse Clemson QB ever*** ]

"The Chad" was the reason Stoudt struggled. "The Chad" play called Stoudt as if he was Tahj Boyd. Once "The Chad" left, see Cole's bowl game performance against OK.

So the worst Clemson QB ever = the MVP of the RA Bowl?

Oct 24, 2016, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Stoudt = worse Clemson QB ever*** ]

You obviously are not very old

Chad Morris put Cole Stoudt in that position. He wouldn't tailor the

Oct 24, 2016, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Stoudt = worse Clemson QB ever*** ]

gameplan to Cole Stoudts abilities and Cole stoudt ended up being a head case on the field. Once he got in a rythym and we tailored the offense to him he was very good. Did you never find it suspicious that the one game Chad Morris wasn't the Coordinator Cole Stoudt absolutely destroyed arguably the best team we played all year? I like Chad Morris but he handled Cole Stoudt very poorly.

Re: Chad Morris put Cole Stoudt in that position. He wouldn't tailor the

Oct 24, 2016, 4:14 PM

Interesting observation. Of course, Stoudt had a month to freshen up and the Sooners were terrible that night. This year, DW4 is the Man, our defense is better than theirs and our special teams are much improved. I like the Tigers by a touch down. But please guys, hold on to the ball!

Oct 24, 2016, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Chad Morris put Cole Stoudt in that position. He wouldn't tailor the ]

How many coaches do you know who change a whole offense that has been explosive for years, for one back up QB? You can't change a whole offense that you have spent months installing because of one player. If anything you are bashing Stoudt, not making him look better

Oct 24, 2016, 6:34 PM

That's a great point. +1. People keep pointing to the RA bowl as their validation that Chad Morris was the reason stoudt wasn't successful. That's a load of crap.

First of all, stoudt had a month to prepare for a dreadful Oklahoma pass defense that was ranked in the 110s. They were horrible all year. Second, other than the hopper td pass (which was by far his best throw ever and a great throw), he threw a bunch of short out routes that the receivers turned into big plays. Oklahoma was giving the out route all game long and we threw it over and over. Not exactly the toughest gameplan to execute. Take away the long runs by Scott and Williams after the catch, he would have thrown for less than 200 yards with 1 td.

Any college qb could have executed that gameplan that day. Im glad for stoudt getting to go out on a high note, but it wasn't a game for the ages like most of the people on tnet make it out to be. Stoudt just was not a good qb. Chad Morris's offense is very qb friendly and easy to learn. This notion that Chad should have scrapped an offense that was record setting at Clemson just so Cole Stoudt wouldn't be a dumpster fire is crazy. Cole just wasnt able to make good decisions, thus his ineffectiveness.

Oct 25, 2016, 12:20 AM

I agree and disagree. I agree that Stoudt came to Clemson knowing what kind of system he'd be playing in. He was also 3 years deep into the system, the knowledge of the playbook was there. He just did not have the specific skill set to be as successful as Boyd or Watson was. Where I disagree is that he was a bad QB, the game against OU wasn't a great game for him as a QB, and the OU pass defense being bad. Here are some explanations....Kid had pretty good accuracy. He was exceptional with pocket presence. He lacked speed and quickness to evade heavy DL pressure. He would've started and been very successful in a more pro style format. The gameplan Scott and Elliott called for the OU game was a smart one, not at all unlike what NCSTATE recently called against us. They minimized defensive pressure by getting the ball out quickly, utilizing play action, and occasionally trying the deep ball. It's what worked, so that's what they went with. Preparation time had nothing to do with it as OU had just as much time to prepare, if not more. Lastly, OU's Defense was not and is not a juggernaut, or even above average. However, the reason why they were rated so low in pass defense is a product of playing in the B12 conference, where almost all of their teams run the Air Raid or Run and Gun offense. It's not uncommon to see a B12 QB throw it on average 58 times a game. That is the reason why. It's the same reason why B10 defenses are generally ranked high against the pass and low against the run, as it's a more run heavy conference. By no means am I saying that Stoudt was a great QB, but I AM saying that he was NOT the worst of this decade.

Oct 25, 2016, 12:22 AM

Also, the Morris olaybook was ANYTHING but "easy" to learn. Took Tahj Boyd 3 years to be able to command the FULL playbook. There are statements from both Boyd and Morris to verify that statement.

Oct 25, 2016, 5:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Chad Morris put Cole Stoudt in that position. He wouldn't tailor the ]

Sorry bro, but you lost me when you said he had excellent pocket presence. That and decision making were his worst attributes. When he didn't have a clean pocket where he could take 7 seconds to throw, he wigged out. Moving back, left or right. Never stepping up in the pocket. I'm not sure what you were watching.

Who would you say was a worse starting qb in the last decade? You have Boyd, Parker, harper and proctor. The only two you could make an argument for would be Harper and Proctor. At least harper had one good season, setting a school record for td passes at the time with 27. So no way he was worse than stoudt. Proctor had his moments, leading us to our last win in Tallahassee. He also had a great running game to help him, so we don't know how bad or good he really was. In my opinion, he was light years ahead of stoudt.

Oct 25, 2016, 6:16 AM

Stoudt just came off as this skinny kid who was way over his head. Surrounded by too much talent to be the starting QB for that team. I wish I could go back and throw Swag in with that team, give Watson one year to sit back and watch and stay healthy. He would have took the job from Swag anyway, but I just wish I could go back in time and substitute Swag in for every game Stoudt played. I know that's not popular, but the kid could have balled with all that around him. Only time we ever saw him that season was the spring game, and his best receiver on that spring game team was 5'10.

That season, Clemson had a national championship defense. I would have taken Proctor and Harper over Stoudt that year

Oct 25, 2016, 6:27 AM

Yeah it sucked to waste that defense. Too bad DW didn't get to start from the beginning and too bad he got hurt when he did get his shot. That could have been a special year.

Oct 25, 2016, 2:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Chad Morris put Cole Stoudt in that position. He wouldn't tailor the ]

Doesn't make sense to me to blame a coach for a game plan and catering to a player when it had never been mentioned before. The problem was there was a player at the most important position who wasnt capable of running the offense. Coach Scott and Coach Elliot made everything so simple that game, just to get past that game of having Stoudt at QB. I was happy he went out with a win, not as happy as I was that he was going out.

Amen, But the real credit goes to Streater***

Oct 25, 2016, 4:07 AM

Oct 25, 2016, 6:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Chad Morris put Cole Stoudt in that position. He wouldn't tailor the ]

Exactly how I feel about Stoudt's RA bowl performance. That offense was so bad when stoudt was in and really decent when the freshman was in. What did he play one snap in the South Carolina game when we needed to make sure DW's leg was attached and threw a pick right to the LB'er. Two picks six's against GT. That was just bad all around.

Oct 24, 2016, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Stoudt = worse Clemson QB ever*** ]

Really can't agree with that. Stoudt was playing in a system set up for a QB like DW4 and The Chad didn't want to change that for him. But when the offense ran things he was capable of doing in the bowl game he looked like the guy we had been hearing about all spring before the season. I'll take Stoudt over Kyle Parker to be honest.

Oct 24, 2016, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Stoudt = worse Clemson QB ever*** ]

I saw some pretty not-so-good ones back in the '70s. And the ones in the '90s were not great.

Oct 24, 2016, 4:54 PM [ in reply to Stoudt = worse Clemson QB ever*** ]

Against GT and FSU and 2nd half against UGA with 0 first downs, you are absolutely right. Too worried about how his hair looked after he took off his helmet, wanted to be known as the guy way too much instead of just going out and playing.

Offense basically didn't exist with 3 and out Stoudt on the field

How old are you? Twelve?? No point in a post like that!***

Oct 25, 2016, 5:49 AM [ in reply to Stoudt = worse Clemson QB ever*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The play that cost us was the fumble.

Oct 24, 2016, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Watson says Clemson should have won at FSU in 2014 ]

That was killer. We could have tried the game winning FG.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Oct 24, 2016, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Watson says Clemson should have won at FSU in 2014 ]

Add in the only Td that Alexander gave up in his entire college career, when he slipped covering the FSU receiver. No slip I believe he knocks the ball away and FSU only scores 10 points in that game. Hold onto the football this year and no one can beat us. Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But we didn't so 2016 is the "do over"!***

Oct 24, 2016, 11:36 AM

Oct 24, 2016, 12:28 PM

Here is what I like about our coaches, players and those who work with the team, Positive
Mindset! Believing you can win no matter what adversities you face. I'm believing our best football is a head of us. Starting this week! Go Tigers!!

He's right !!!!***

Oct 24, 2016, 1:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

We used up all our turnovers in that game ...

Oct 24, 2016, 4:57 PM

...sorry, Noles: We won't be able to give y'all any this weekend.

Hope you understand.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic