Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plays that changed the program...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Plays that changed the program...

Jan 22, 2019, 1:53 PM

Most impactful/memorable plays we made I can recall... there are others the other team didn't make (NCState missed FG comes to mind).

Taj Boyd to Nuc Hopkins in the Peach Bowl 2012- Trailing 24-22, Clemson took possession on its 20 with 1:39 remaining. Boyd passed to DeAndre Hopkins for 26 yards on a fourth-and-16 play during the decisive 10-play drive...

DW#4 to Mike Williams, then Jordan Leggett and finally Hunter Renfrow Natty 2017 - Trailing 35-31, Clemson took possession on its own 32 with 2:07 remaining, after completions to Williams and Leggit, with 6 seconds on the clock Watson connects with Hunter Renfrow 2 Yd pass for the touchdown, Greg Huegel adds the kick.

CB#7 to Tee Higgins on fourth and 7 against Syracuse to keep the game winning drive alive.... and preserve what would become the first 15-0 season in modern college football history.

What are yours?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plays that changed the program...

Jan 22, 2019, 1:56 PM

In the second natty game against Bama, offense was sputtering early then Deon Cain took a screen 50 yards or so. Really jumpstarted the offense. Same game Hunter Refrow makes a tackle on a 280 lb Bama lineman after a Gallman fumble. Bama later had to settle for a fg

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That Renfrow tackle is definitely underrated***

Jan 22, 2019, 3:56 PM

Touchdown... Chad Jasmin

Jan 22, 2019, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Plays that changed the program... ]

Touchdown... Chad Jasmin
Touchdown... Chad Jasmin
Touchdown... Chad Jasmin

Jan 22, 2019, 5:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Plays that changed the program... ]

In the second natty game against Bama, offense was sputtering early then Deon Cain took a screen 50 yards or so. Really jumpstarted the offense. Same game Hunter Refrow makes a tackle on a 280 lb Bama lineman after a Gallman fumble. Bama later had to settle for a fg

Scott’s kickoff return against Louisville in 2016. Without that the tigers may not win the game.

Jan 22, 2019, 1:57 PM

stopping Notre Dame on the two-point conversation.

Kearse running down the Louisville RB.

C.J. Spiller deciding to stay!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2019, 2:14 PM

2016-marcus Edmonds,i believe,forcing the Louisville wr out of bounds on 4th down.prevents a first down or score.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 22, 2019, 2:20 PM

Not a play but hiring Brent Venables. That was a Program changer!!!!

Jan 22, 2019, 3:20 PM

there are so many great things that you could point to starting with Dabo that we all could just keep going on and on and on.enjoy the moment.a great time to be a tiger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

the fake punt in the orange bowl against oklahoma.

and renfros winning td catch in the 2016 ncg.

Stopping Louisville on the 3 to preserve the win

Denying Notre Dame the two point conversion during the biblical rain game.

that was a great one

Jan 22, 2019, 3:54 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lAUyLqMzlw

Tajh to Sammy vs. UGA in 2013.

Jan 22, 2019, 2:24 PM

That play has been used for a commercial this year.

And that game - with the TV folks highlighting our Hill entrance and the big intersectional win put us on the map for real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vES6hkz6oI

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

STANTON SECKINGER???***

Jan 22, 2019, 3:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tajh to Sammy vs. UGA in 2013.

Jan 24, 2019, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Tajh to Sammy vs. UGA in 2013. ]

Yea that was awesome, I've written to the Athletic Department several times trying to get them to do the live feed from the bus on the big screen.. (we need a Jumbo, I think we have the smallest worst resolution screen of a major program in the NCAA)... DV was nuts.

Jan 22, 2019, 2:25 PM

4th and 16.

That play was the loud knock that told the college football world that Clemson was here and about to kick down the door.

Tdp hiring dabo

Jan 22, 2019, 2:27 PM

Followed 5 years later by tDP sticking with dabo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Gallman FSU 2015 run

Jan 22, 2019, 2:58 PM

I thought that win at home against FSU in 2015 was a big "get over the hump" game for our program. When Gallman scored that td I really felt like we had a chance to win a national championship for the first time in my lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ewovol4u7s

Re: Gallman FSU 2015 run

Jan 22, 2019, 3:23 PM

A big stop of Dalvin Cook on fourth down was huge in that game.

This was my favorite play in person until the AJ pick 6 to

Jan 23, 2019, 1:17 AM [ in reply to Gallman FSU 2015 run ]

open up the natty.
Gallman's run came after a lot of frustrating 2-3 yrd or less runs. He broke for 30, and you knew Clemson was going to take it.
It was a very pivotal game for recruiting and momentum. Lose that game, and we're not even Atlantic Champs... def no trip to Phx would have occurred that year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 22, 2019, 3:30 PM

2008 Wake Forest 3rd and 24 to extend the winning TD drive...end of TB era

2009 Miami Jacoby Ford catch to win in OT...start of Dabo's success

2011 West Virginia: 1st and goal Ellington's fumble on the 1 yard line return for TD...end of KS

2012 LSU: 4th and 16 catch... arrived on the big stage

2015 ND: 4th down stop... proved we belonged

2015 Alabama: Onside kick... left us wanting

2016 Bama: Renfrow catch... solidified the program

null

"The Drive"

Jan 22, 2019, 3:37 PM

For years Clemson has been a national contender, but always under the Bama shadow, even with beating them for a natty. And to be fair, they had earned that.
This NCG, Clemson went out and absolutely dominated on both sides of the ball. Nothing showcases an evolution to the very top, no longer under a Bama shadow, than the 44-16 drubbing emphatically ending with a 10:02 nonscoring, take a knee to end it, drive.

That isn't a play, but The Drive is epic in how it clearly showed Clemson to be so much more dominant that even the score would suggest

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 22, 2019, 3:44 PM

To me, the 2008 Bama/Clemson game, particularly in that first half, was something that changed Clemson's program.

Up to that point, I think Clemson was terribly conflicted about Tommy Bowden and whether or not he could be the coach who could get Clemson over the hump.

In that game, Bama was thoroughly dominating at halftime, up by 23-3. The TV sideline reporter interviewed Bowden, and his talking points were something along the lines of, "we have to compete harder, hit harder, be more physical....". It was clear that he was completely shellshocked, and had no idea what to do.

After that game, I think Bowden's fate was sealed....which led to Dabo....which led to Venables....which led to 2 out of 3 national titles.....

Dang Smitty. Way to come in there. Nice.***

Jan 22, 2019, 4:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That game was a swift kick to the nuts

Jan 22, 2019, 5:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Plays that changed the program... ]

Absolutely agree that was a clear sign of how far away we still were from competing with the Bamas of the world.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2019, 5:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Plays that changed the program... ]

To me, when he called Saban and asked for advice on how to handle the loss with his players sealed his faith.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2019, 3:59 PM

The play that changed the coarse was 4and 16
The game that changed our coarse was West Virginia blowout.
My players that changed the coarse is...

CJ Spiller
Stephon Anthony
Tahj Boyd
Andre Ellington
McKenzie Alexander
Nuk Hopkins
Sammy Watkins
Deshaun Watson
Mitch Hyatt
Wayne Gallman
Mike Williams
Hunter Renfrow
Power Rangers
Ben Boulware
Jordan Legget
Trevor Lawrence
ETN
Ross
Higgins
In that order

Message was edited by: Touch_The_Rock79

Message was edited by: Touch_The_Rock79

Jan 24, 2019, 10:42 AM

would add Ben Boulware to that list as a defensive leader.... he set the tone for the D when his time came up. Always played at 1110%.

Lots of bricks building this house!***

Jan 22, 2019, 4:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd say the 4th and 16 brought us to the foot of the

Jan 22, 2019, 4:17 PM

mountain. It showed what we were capable of again. And that we were back from the late 80's.

The Drive I, in 2016, was a 2 minute thing of beauty that showed we could win it all and beat the best program.
The Drive II, in 2018, was pure dominance, the ability to break the will of the reigning champion, and showed that we now were the best program. A 10 minute walkaway drive from 5 yard line to 5 yard line. Dayum. Still gives me chills.

Re: I'd say the 4th and 16 brought us to the foot of the

Jan 22, 2019, 4:51 PM

That 10-minute drive started with the ball one foot from our goal line. Which makes that drive even more amazing.

My fav is TDP's handoff to Dabo.

Jan 22, 2019, 4:43 PM

Dabo danced around a few years then ran through the college football world like no one was there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So many good ones mentioned. I’ll throw in the 2011 win

Jan 22, 2019, 4:49 PM

at VaTech in Blacksburg.

Been on the short end of the scoreboard ever since Danny left in ‘89 prior to that night.

Can’t remember the announcers name, but ‘good night Hokies’ on that TD run by Bellamy in the fourth was awesome.

Message was edited by: NorthwestPurple®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ellington, fumbling on the 1 foot line in the WVU game .....

Jan 22, 2019, 6:44 PM

Biggest play in Dabo's career, without a doubt.

2 underrated ones

Jan 22, 2019, 6:55 PM

2006 Spiller double juke down the sideline because that was the first glimpse of greatness on the offensive side that we have had in awhile. It said on national tv. I am CJ Spiller and I am here to crush you.

Also 2011 Sammy’s return vs. Maryland. Down on the road with no momentum. That’s where we used to give up. That’s where the program turned for me.

Re: Mine are

Jan 22, 2019, 7:42 PM

2008 vs Bama. Clemson was ranked in the top 10 and was manhandled by Bama. That was the beginning of the end for TB (and the beginning for Saban and Bama). That game showed Clemson needed a long rebuild to be a Super Power in CFB. An unlikely candidate is chosen to start that process.

2018-19; ten years later Clemson runs the table and embarrasses Bama and Saban and is a Super Power.

Can't believe no one has mentioned CU-UNC 1981 10-8

Jan 23, 2019, 7:53 AM

and Bill Smith's fumble recovery.

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/On-This-Date-1981--(2)Clemson--10---(8)North-Carolina--8-1848117

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2015/12/03/throwback-thursday-1981-was-10-8acious/

That was a key game to winning the 1981 NC.

Jeff Scott's fake field goal...runs for first down w/ Miami

Jan 23, 2019, 8:26 AM

in DV

The Tommy Bowden Fake FG and OT wins at Miami

Jan 23, 2019, 8:35 AM

What year was that?

AJ Terrell's interception in the 2019 NC game

Jan 24, 2019, 10:50 AM

Set the tone...

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: AJ Terrell's interception in the 2019 NC game

Jan 24, 2019, 11:03 AM

is he gonna have one next year also.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2019, 11:34 AM

CJ Spiller’s performance in ACC Championship Tampa

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the fumble on the goal line returned 99-1/2 yards

Jan 24, 2019, 11:41 AM

By WVa in the orange bowl that really opened the can of whoop-arse on us

Re: the fumble on the goal line returned 99-1/2 yards

Jan 24, 2019, 11:43 AM

Lol just saw Spud’s two day old post.

Jan 24, 2019, 4:49 PM

1980 vs South Carolina:

Willie Underwood with two picks, one a pick six, to beat George Rogers and company and set the table for 1981.

Win it all in 81, planting the seed that it can be done in little ole Clemson.

After wandering the desert, we got a coach that knows if it could be done here once, it could be done again.

And again.

Thanks Willie.
Thanks Coach.

Jan 24, 2019, 5:32 PM

Whatever plays wake forest ran that forced the resignation of tommy Bowden tops my list.

Every play in the SC game in Dabo’s interim

Jan 24, 2019, 7:21 PM

season. If The Tigers lose that game, Dabo was likely gone...

Jan 24, 2019, 9:05 PM

Kyle Parker QB , DeQuan Bowers DE. Dabo takes Tigers to Tuscaloosa, Tigers get physically beaten on both sides of ball. First play on defense our d-line is pushed back 4-6 yds. I was in shock. I knew it was going to be a long night . Realized Tigers where way off from what I was expecting. 1st ACC Championship game Tigers win under Coach Swinney.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic