Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Herd immunity?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Herd immunity?

Jul 13, 2020, 7:06 PM

Coming soon to a location near you?

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/507043-virus-immunity-in-recovered-patients-may-be-gone-in-months-researchers-say

Message was edited by: wildblulou®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Herd immunity?

Jul 13, 2020, 7:08 PM

Never was gonna happen anyway as it requires 70%-80% of all folks to have had it. Well maybe we can reach that if we continue to fling open the doors to all activities. Yeah, some folks do not produce any antibodies too.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That number comes from traditional vaccines.

Jul 13, 2020, 7:26 PM

70+% of the population must be vaccinated to stop the spread.

We don't know what the level of infections have to be to reach herd immunity in a pandemic. If you're interested, the following is a really good read and will give you some insight into how complicated and difficult calculating the level of infections to reach herd immunity can be in a pandemic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/07/herd-immunity-coronavirus/614035/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'May,' is poor science.

Jul 13, 2020, 7:10 PM

However, it's allowed if it makes suits your political position.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 'May,' is poor science.

Jul 13, 2020, 7:13 PM

88, best current science on this, which admittedly is not very dang good at all, says immunity is unknown at best and may not be at all.

Stop with the what ifs.....

Jul 13, 2020, 7:27 PM

SARS anti-bodies last over 3 years. MERS is in the 1-3 year range as well.

No one has been reinfected with COVID-19. We're 8 months in to COVID-19 and that shows that anti-bodies last at least that long.

That article is junk science and opinions. They need to stop publishing doom and gloom until they have real information.

Re: Stop with the what ifs.....

Jul 13, 2020, 7:41 PM

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/23/7/17-0310_article

You may be correct, but not

Jul 13, 2020, 7:42 PM [ in reply to Stop with the what ifs..... ]

Sure how your thesis is on the mark. Is eight months sufficient to suggest reinfection isn't possible? How does it prove antibodies last 'at least that long'...when most never had -19 to begin with? Lastly...who can say with certainty, at this point, that some of the new cases aren't reinfections, whereby the patient was asymptomatic the first time around...heck, even this time around?

Too early for 'absolutes'...the learning, such as it is, will continue...although it will NEVER keep pace with conjecture! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2020, 8:08 PM [ in reply to Stop with the what ifs..... ]

Jul 13, 2020, 8:23 PM

3 out of 330 million people. I like those odds.

Just like I like my odds to survive. I am more likely to die of a violent crime in this City.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Preaching to the choir lol

Jul 13, 2020, 8:29 PM

I've seen several stories of people reinfected... Hogwash.***

Jul 13, 2020, 8:30 PM [ in reply to Stop with the what ifs..... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2020, 7:32 PM

If your herd wears BLM shirts, they are immune from prosecution...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2020, 7:44 PM

Doesn't sound like herd immunity will ever happen.

Consensus will emerge although it may take a few years.

Jul 13, 2020, 8:34 PM

Researchers are publishing preliminary info. to aid future research. Media is like a salivating dog - drooling on the furniture.

Too early to call on this one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Consensus will emerge although it may take a few years.

Jul 13, 2020, 8:46 PM

Re: Consensus will emerge although it may take a few years.

Jul 13, 2020, 9:06 PM

There is scant media coverage of this study at the moment. Don't know much about "The Hill" or its political leanings, but it's the second reference I've seen on this in the last week.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This virus has been around for 4-5 months. A key question...

Jul 13, 2020, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Consensus will emerge although it may take a few years. ]

for “herd immunity” is how long do the antibodies “remain” after infection. Data regarding length of time antibodies remain and can provide immunity from a second infection is obviously limited to the length of time from initial infection. I can only surmise that most data is collected on the infected patients and less data collected on recovered patients.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not fear mongering or stating any absolutes here.

Jul 13, 2020, 9:02 PM

That's the trouble. Novel coronavirus at hand. New. Nobody really knows a whole lot yet, still; it continues to be anybody's, and apparently everybody's, personal take. This study could be as debunked as HCQ in a bit, hopefully so. If there's any moral to the story it's simply be cautious with assumptions and expectations, and be careful with yourself and others through it.

Fwiw there have been Chinese studies showing the same thing.

Jul 13, 2020, 11:05 PM

There's a pretty good concensus developing on antibody longevity. Which means little as t cell immunity may last decades. But no easy way to study that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/covid-19-immunity-may-rely-on-a-microscopic-helper-t-cells/amp

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic