Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stop trying to tell me that the defense was a bright spot...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 555

Stop trying to tell me that the defense was a bright spot...

Nov 25, 2012, 3:30 PM

South Carolina's game plan was to hold the ball and convert a bunch of third downs. 40 minutes of TOP is *not* on the offense. The offense had to slow down to allow the defense to rest because the defense couldn't get off the field. That's why we never had a rhythm after Nuk's TD.

Our defense allowed South Carolina to implement their game plan perfectly, and we never adjusted our offense to their defense. There was no bright spot.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely right***

Nov 25, 2012, 3:32 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Re: So what you are saying is...

Nov 25, 2012, 3:38 PM

SCar's gameplan was to get into a bunch of 3rd downs? Was it in their plan to get some good pass interference calls?

Our gameplan was to slow down and give our guys a breather? No way... Everyone knows we only go fast. We are really bad at slowing down.

I don't think people are saying the D was great.... They played better than normal and the offense played way worse than normal. That's all that's being said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Was it in their plan to get some

Nov 25, 2012, 3:50 PM

good pass interference calls?"

Uh...yeah?

Remember the old saying, "When you throw the ball, three things can happen and two of them are bad"? Well that was true when you had to maul a guy to get called for pass interference. Now that the calls are ticky-tack, you CAN count on a couple of questionable calls.

Also, those calls amounted to nothing (except extending SCar's time of possession advantage) due to the interception.

If you're going to third down a lot, you're eating a lot of clock. This WAS Spurrier's game plan, whether you believe it or not.

"Our gameplan was to slow down and give our guys a breather? "

No, our gameplan was to play our game, but when the defense failed to get off the field, THEN we had to slow down. We have no depth on defense, if you haven't noticed. If the offense had played full speed we'd have gotten blown out.

>They played better than normal

No, they didn't. If SCar had wanted to get into a shootout with us, they'd have scored at least the same 48 that NC State did, because they could throw over the middle ANYTIME THEY WANTED. Just like NC State could.

Yes, the offense was poorly called and executed, but the defense was not any better and deserves no slack.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Plus - coot defense was the best and most physical we played

Nov 25, 2012, 4:15 PM

all year. They pressured Tajh and made him hurry a lot of throws. Even when he had time, he was rushing his throws.

As I've said before, we got whupped all the way around. Expectations were certainly higher for our offense and they came up short, but the defense failed miserably as well as far as I'm concerned, as they could not get the coot offense off of the field in the second half.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 4
| visibility 555
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic