Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Still smarting since NEVER thought in a 1000 yrs that my TiGERs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Still smarting since NEVER thought in a 1000 yrs that my TiGERs

Jun 20, 2014, 5:47 PM

would lose 5 to cOOTS in a 10 year period..nor less FIVE STRAIGHT!! Geez.

Saying..weaker line play or not, Clemson has had some of it's very best players during that time..like CJ, Boyd, Sammy, Nuk, Ellington and so many others..

But our speed, finese & Ole College Try didn't git er done against SC..which has been a very big & unbelievable disappointment to this Ole Guy who's seen the Tigers kick buttt against these guyz alot during his college viewing life @ CU (since 1957).

Saying..it's time to kick buttt again..this time at our House for sure come late November! Should be fun, fun, fun to watch and celebrate later on The PAW!!

GoTiGERS..git er done OR...........!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still smarting But never thought in a 1000yrs that my TiGERs

Jun 20, 2014, 6:37 PM

We have had some very good and some great players at the skill positions over the past five years, but it takes more than that. So-called skill players are the flash, but linemen and defense are the bang.

You can win some football games with average linemen, average defense and good skill players, but usually it will be against average teams.

To consistently win against top teams, you need big, quick, strong, athletic guys around the ball. I'd rather have a good D and O-line with an average RB and receivers than the other way 'round.

But - the way to get good linemen is to generate enough interest in the program to get them to come to the recruiting party. We've done that with the skill players we've had and have finally generated enough interest that the recruiting has turned around.

The next few years should be very interesting!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2014, 6:45 PM

They caught us in a coaching change , shifted their focus to allowing formerly disallowed recruits and have gotten the upper hand as of late.
It may be that some Clemson fans have forgotten how difficult it is to establish a new system (much less 2 in 3 years) like Dabo Swinney has had to do ....and we are talking about a young coach in his 6th year as a HC against a dude who has been a head coach for 3 decades.
It is likely to turn this year , as much as the Coots want to believe that they have surpassed us , Swinney is learning on the fly. He has the talent and the players are focused game in and game out .
The rest of it is just X's and O's and making fewer mistakes , something they have beaten us at in the last 5 years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 20, 2014, 8:53 PM

It is about strength. Nothing more.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe the 1st 3 yrs. is because the AD spent 1\2 the Yr.

Jun 20, 2014, 9:01 PM

before he hired Dabo & the recruits bailed. If he would have hired him as soon as Bowden was fired, that would have been avoided. The last 2 was because of an inconsistent QB that was rattled by their defense. This should be the turn around Yr. Go Tigers

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2014, 6:21 AM

Bill, I understand your frustration. I, too, am an old Tiger (1962). I would like for you to pull up the stats from last years game against USC and look at everything except the turnovers. Most people would say we won that game. But when you include the turnovers, most people would say "we lost" which we did. Other posters here have made excellent points concerning the time Dabo has been in charge versus Spurrier. It took Spurrier some time to get the Gamechickens turned around. Dabo has it going in the right direction and this is the year that we get back to our rightful position of beating the Gamechickens.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2014, 7:06 AM

Never fear , all the last 5 years has been difficult but the tide is turning. The Cootstains defense will be nowhere near as good as it was the previous 4 years , and they can talk up Thompson and that OLine all they want but in our game last year we controlled it. Dabo should expect to win this year in DV , unlike his first two at Clemson vs the Dirtpeckers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 21, 2014, 6:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Still smarting But never thought in a 1000yrs that my TiGERs ]

I for one not looking through oraage glasses. No way to expect Clemson to beat Carolina this year. Could be Spurrier's best team yet. Clemson picked around 23-24 in most polls which should be about right. Will be lucky to beat a below average UGA in the opener. Glaring weakness in the program is a staff that can't coach. No other schools after ANY of our staff, especially Dabo. They know he is no head coach. Maybe 10 beat downs in a row will convince some Dabo lovers.

Jun 21, 2014, 6:55 PM

Found one .

Cootafold , where is that FGF or Coot Central or whatever ...because I think you have the wrong IP.
Spurrier has his best team yet ? Better than his Duke ACC Championship team ? Better than his SEC&National Championship UF teams ?
No. Coots have beaten Clemson ...but have accomplished nothing else under Spurrts. This year you lose 3-5 games , and then Otis is gonna hit the bricks.
Best team ever. Gimme a break. Do you football , bro?

DB23

Jun 21, 2014, 7:10 PM

Manifold is clearly MonroeNC

Jun 21, 2014, 7:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Still smarting But never thought in a 1000yrs that my TiGERs ]

Yeah definitely not looking through orange colored glasses when you're looking through garnet colored ones. Helpful tip: FGF ain't here!

Are you aware that Clemson just beat an Ohio State program

Jun 21, 2014, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Still smarting But never thought in a 1000yrs that my TiGERs ]

in a BCS bowl that had previously won almost 20-something games in a row?

Somebody please re-sedate this guy & place him back under the rock he's been under since the dark ages.

Jun 21, 2014, 9:43 AM

I think we are going to go on an unprecedented streak starting next year in both our games against coots and our national relevance. That being said the first six years were a part of the building process. What if we win five in a row with a handful or 12 + win seasons with at least one natty. Will that make up for the smarting? What if they fired Dabo 2 years ago and we went back to beating the coots but only won 8-9 games a year? Which would rather have. Remeber that the strongest steel is forged in the hottest fire. Dabo is about to unleash that steel on the whole of college football.

I'm loving it! (exception: coot L's) building the program...

Jun 21, 2014, 10:45 AM

I'd say Dabo must be forging Sensei Samurai blade to slice & dice the coots & all our competitors!!!

The venom is back in Clemson Football!
With losses of major players & all, we're still loaded with the talent we need to start making a run for everything,every year...starting with this one, imo.

I love being overlooked & "underdawgs" because it gives us focus to prove the haters & doubters wrong!
It gives us that eye of the hunting tiger & only fuels our fire!!! :)

Go Tigers!!!!

Re: I'm loving it! (exception: coot L's) building the program...

Jun 21, 2014, 11:32 AM

Great point! I absolutely LOVE the UNDERDOG ROLE!

Re: you dayum right I'm right! ;-)

Jun 21, 2014, 11:51 AM

Don't get me wrong...i do love seeing us way up in the poles & stuff! Especially when we stay there & show we deserve it, but we've seemingly historically always played better & with a much bigger chip on our shoulders when we're picked to lose or downplayed like we aren't a quality opponent or some garbage....see ESecPN & their constant Clemson-bashing.
They don't eat their crow very well either!
Hurtin' buckaroos ;)

Here's the way I view it, Bill: in the past 34 years we've

Jun 21, 2014, 6:56 PM

had four...that's FOUR four-peat wins over S.C.

They've had one five-peat. That's one more consecutively.

Kudos to Coach Spurrier and the job he's done at S.C. Frankly, I think it serves both programs well for both to have strong programs........providing, of course, we have more than a fair share of wins over those folks in Columbia. lol

However, my caution remains: steady as you go folks; steel your nerves. This is no time to be fretting over the Chickens. Even ole Steve Spurrier knows the peating business will end soon enough.

And so do I..........................

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic