Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stephan Colbert ... I cannot see how he manages to stay
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 552

Stephan Colbert ... I cannot see how he manages to stay

May 4, 2020, 11:59 PM

on the air with his only having one apparent theme for all of his shows . I must admit I only give it two minutes before changing to Perry Mason .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still can't believe they didn't give that spot to

May 5, 2020, 1:48 AM

Craig Ferguson. Yeah, his show was extremely immature and stupid, but it was hilarious and it seemed every hot female he had on the show was worked up for him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hollywood and NYC love him, that's all he cares about***

May 5, 2020, 7:04 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jimmy Kimmel as well.

May 5, 2020, 11:17 AM

If Trump gets voted out of office, those guys will probably have to retire.

If he gets voted out they’ll just go back to being funny.

May 5, 2020, 11:22 AM

Both of those guys, in my opinion, are outstanding comics. But Late Night seems to have decided that getting a solid niche of the market is sufficient. I may have tuned out Colbert because of his nightly Trump bashing, but it has worked for him, relative to the competition.

Just like Stewart with the Daily Show, I think it’s a shame he has become so overtly partisan. He could have been a great objective commentator on those in power, and now he can’t.

null

I think Kimmel has sold his soul to that.

May 5, 2020, 12:49 PM

After a few years of doing this, I don't think he can go back to just being "funny". He doesn't have any other material. And some of that is funny, but when Trump is gone, the effect will be as well.

No offense, but I can almost guarantee that Colbert is not

May 5, 2020, 3:15 PM

geared towards someone who would watch a show that stopped airing 54 years ago.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Colbert is beating Fallon in the ratings

May 5, 2020, 3:26 PM

Although the ratings are close and Fallon may beat Colbert in the 18-35 demo and on youtube so it may be more complicated than just looking at the overall ratings. The point though, Colbert is being successful in what he's doing so I wouldn't expect him to change anytime soon. Personally, I like Kimmel and Seth Meyers the best (Meyers' "closer look" has replaced the daily show for me and his interviews are the best).

When Trump leaves office I think Kimmel and Fallon will be fine. It's really only in their monologues where they use Trump as fodder, and even then the whole monologue usually isn't just about Trump, plus the rest of the show is usually pretty neutral. Colbert is different in that every bit he does (except for "meanwhile") seems tailored around Trump and every joke in his monologue is about bashing Trump. Colbert's show before Trump was pretty bad, but it was still new and finding its voice. The voice it found was bashing Trump and it'll have to change when Trump is out of office which may be a difficult transition. I expect Colbert will just turn to republicans in general as his focus, but who knows.

Speaking of Colbert, it's amazing to me how devoid of creativity his late night show really is. The Colbert Report had some of the best writing and smartest political commentary and I see none of that on his current late night show. It's weird.

Replies: 7
| visibility 552
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic