Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
50 yrs ago Brian Wilson's PET SOUNDS debued
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

50 yrs ago Brian Wilson's PET SOUNDS debued

May 16, 2016, 4:54 PM

With some great sings he wrote or finished by himself in about 4 -5 months while Beach Boys Band was touring in UK & Europe.

Later The Beetles countered with Sgt. Pepper (Not related to Doctor) and soon Brian went totally crazy due to competing head-to-head with four Beetles on other songs.

Some of the songs are: GOD Only Knows, Wouldn't It Be Nice,That's Not Me, I Wasn't Born For These Times, Here Today, Caroline No & Hang Onto Your EgO.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saw them in Raleigh several years ago

May 16, 2016, 5:02 PM

for their reunion tour. Wilson looked really bad but Love still rocked.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Saw them in Raleigh several years ago

May 16, 2016, 9:06 PM

saw them at CU in the spring of '68,my last semester at school.brian wilson was not touring at that time.a little disappointing,but they were still great.the strawberry alarm clock and buffalo springfield with stephen stills opened for them.quite a concert.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

And then the Stones countered with Their Satanic Majesties

May 16, 2016, 5:13 PM

Request.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, I am older than "Pet Sounds"?

May 16, 2016, 5:31 PM

Speaking of the Beach Boys, I remember a homecoming concert that had both Chicago and the Beach Boys. They played at Doug Kingsmore Stadium.

We parked on the practice soccer field and had 1 1/2 kegs leftover from the ASCE Homecoming Picnic.

I remember the first act performing (Chicago, I believe) but I don't remember the second act. :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Another PET SOUND song was:

May 16, 2016, 5:58 PM

Sloop John B

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

beetles Rubber Soul got Brian working on Pet Sounds..

May 16, 2016, 6:19 PM

And then came Beetles Sgt Pepper..

And then they came out with Penny Lane after Brian & Mike Love's Good Vibrations.

Great competition til Brian went crazy!

Brian went crazy? Why?***

May 16, 2016, 9:30 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rolling Stones lists sgt pepper no.1 album all-time, inspired by pet sounds

May 16, 2016, 9:44 PM [ in reply to beetles Rubber Soul got Brian working on Pet Sounds.. ]

No. 2 all time.

Heard brian wilson's dad sold rights to the beach boys after wilson did pet sounds (essentially by himself), because he thought it woud damage the band beyond reclaimation.

Band members also turned on him for him entertaining the idea that he could do great things without them. Called him crazy and ostracized him for not doing what they always knew.

Everyone close to him turned their backs on him when he had legitimate ideas. No ####### wonder the guy went crazy.

Still believe Pet Sounds

May 16, 2016, 6:25 PM [ in reply to Another PET SOUND song was: ]

Is one of the greatest albums ever. Has stood the test of time. Wilson was a musical genius - Mike Love was great as well. Never have been a big fan of The Beetles.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Brian = genius***

May 16, 2016, 6:28 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

He'll be here in August. Want to see him.

May 16, 2016, 6:47 PM

No expectations of a great show, but paying homage to a legend.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YeP, Atlanta is on tour but for me

May 16, 2016, 8:44 PM

It's my 3rd trip week or so earlier to beautiful St Augustine since 50th reunion tour was there too....with 2nd being Brian & guitarist Jeff Beck.

Sorry. Would rather listen to pet rock

May 16, 2016, 9:25 PM

Never been a fan. Started out sophomoric and never rose above that lyrically or musically. Never challenged their audience or pushed the envelope musically. No comparison to Beatles, who basically wrote the rules to rock. Rule number 1 - there are no rules. Yet the Beach Boys remained entrenched in predictable rhymes and harmonization. God only knows how much I loathe them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love and Mercy is a good movie about Wilson/ Beach Boys***

May 16, 2016, 11:10 PM

yep.,.saw it

May 17, 2016, 8:19 AM

And have a pic of me in front of movie marquee with my yellow Beach Boys cap with its 50th anniversary logo..which can be seen in my profile pic on TigerNet.

Pet Sounds is a masterpiece

May 17, 2016, 8:50 AM

I throw it in when I am on the way back to San Jose from visiting my son in San Diego. It was way ahead of its time and nowhere near the pop stuff they originally did. You can tell Brian had moved on to another level of songwriting on that album.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic