Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Special Clemson Session During Coots Practices
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Special Clemson Session During Coots Practices

Nov 25, 2018, 2:57 PM

I know they won't likely admit it; but I think they set aside 20-30 minutes each practice starting in fall camp getting ready for Clemson! Getting ready for how coach V likes to call the defense at the last possible second mainly and other things. They surely got ready for other opponents but; I have no doubt they did that. We do it for GT each year b/c of the uniqueness of their offense!

Saving formations and personnel groupings and desperately going for it on 4th down like that is a huge clue. It's throw the kitchen sink at them and hopefully - " we can start winning the recruiting battle against Clemson"! That last part for all the folks wondering "why they would do that"! Recruiting and job security! Recruits want to go to a winner and Muschamp knows the one thing the alumni really want is a win vs. Clemson if nothing else!

I am reserving judgement on the defense until I see them versus Pitt. Yes, Pitt is a different team. But, if you know football, you can still see if things have been fixed/corrected. If you know what to look for during the course of the game.

Wasn't all on the secondary either. The part of the Defense that seems a little underwhelming to me is the sacks during big games. TFL's and Sacks are huge plays b/c they stop drives and put teams in 3rd and long. Getting sacks when your up 35 pts isn't as impressive as getting one when your rival is torching you with some unique formations! Pressure on the QB would have helped the secondary a whole lot.

We are on the right path and the poor defensive outing in my opinion was due to some very strategic planning and "all-out-tiv-ness" on the coots part! No knock on them; everybody goes all out to win any football game. Just most of the time you do it with formations and plays especially 12 games in; that you have used before! I was disappointed it kept happening! My only knock was the inability to change mid-stride to something else. Our NFL bound DL the rest of the way need to play like they are NFL bound and dominate. We should be able to drop everyone else into coverage!

We will get right! No doubt! Go Tigers!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was difficult to get pressure on Bentley last night

Nov 25, 2018, 3:01 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It was difficult to get pressure on Bentley last night

Nov 25, 2018, 3:12 PM

Agreed. Not taking anything from him. I saw what some people call arrogance from them last night. It was not so much arrogance that allowed him to get rid of it quick so much as it was "being well and I mean well prepared" for what he was going to see. That's what I was seeing; a team that knew the looks well knew how this play would work with this look and personnel group from us versus how that play would look. You can play with a ton more confidence when you "know exactly" what to do if they do: "X" or "Y"! That to me is what we witnessed last night!

The defensive staff as a whole will have to learn from it.

I posed the question on here and my pulse dropped about the long looks to the sidelines! IT caught up with us again. Our defense is good enough and should be coached up enough during the week to be able to know the opponents tendencies they don't need to look over to the sideline so much. But, you saw several times guys moving when the ball was snapped trying to get into position of the late defensive call best position as opposed to trusting what they have been shown all week.

QB's getting the ball out their hands quick: product of preparation and tempo. I can only trust we have a plan for exactly what everyone is saying. I see it a bit different; because they did use some funky formations and personnel groups last night(kitchen sink). Our defense is better than that!

Re: It was difficult to get pressure on Bentley last night

Nov 25, 2018, 3:42 PM

Bentley did get the ball out quick and was pretty good on the timing routes. One thing that there should be no excuse for repeatedly happening .... their receiver running wide open in the middle of the field on those medium length routes. On a bunch of those Bentley had plenty of time to set and throw. They also didn't have any dropped balls, which is their norm, but we should not have to rely on dropped balls.

Also on at least a couple of the deep balls for touchdowns, our rushers were right on top of him and he just threw the ball to a spot down field. To his credit, they just happened to be to the right spot and we helped by not being close enough to contest the ball. Given those same circumstances a week from now, those passes are incomplete.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They played their best game in a five years...

Nov 25, 2018, 3:05 PM

and still lost by 21.

I say let's help them celebrate another moral victory.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Special Clemson Session During Coots Practices

Nov 25, 2018, 3:06 PM

Our d line did not put as much pressure on Bentley as I expected which makes me think it may be pretty good.I know we only rushed 3 lots of time but rushing four we still didn’t get regular pressure on th we.We will kill Pitt.They looks really bad against Miami yesterday.Slow and not sharp

Pitt. Physical Hit You In the Nose Team.

Nov 25, 2018, 3:18 PM

Playing Pitt is the best thing for us after giving up 35. Why? B/C the Tigers have never beaten Pitt. Pitt also gave us an embarassing loss two years ago at home.

Regarding the DL - I swear outside of CW sometimes I think these guys might be going Bosa, Fournette, MCCaffrey on us! I.E. trying not to get hurt or damage their draft stock! Or are they not as dominate as we think! We have a top 5 defense(previous #1) so they aren't doing bad. But last night was just bad. No offense to SC - but that hasn't been them all year until they play Clemson. Again, check the subject line as to why I think that is; but still. We should have been able to adjust by just being more physical. Schemes and formations can't prepare you for being man-handled! That is where I am the most disappointed.

No way a coach would do that, they only have 20 hours a week

Nov 25, 2018, 3:15 PM

Including the game to get ready for a game.

Also when comes to Pitt if we turn it over 6 times like last time we played them we could lose but that will never happen.

Re: No way a coach would do that, they only have 20 hours a week

Nov 25, 2018, 3:24 PM

rhettm

Go back to the GT week. The amount of time I am referring to isn't the whole practice. More like a session. We do it for GT. Sorry! It is done and done a bunch "if you really want to be prepared or if you know going in; you can't compete w/o doing so"! See below. If we do it; why do not think the Coots would do it?

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article103076322.html

Agree, 100% not true. Did not happen. Now did the staffers

Nov 25, 2018, 3:27 PM [ in reply to No way a coach would do that, they only have 20 hours a week ]

And he video guys prepare all year maybe leading up to this game? Maybe.

They used the week of the UTC game to prepare for Clemson***

Nov 25, 2018, 3:54 PM [ in reply to No way a coach would do that, they only have 20 hours a week ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Still Have Not Seen Response 2 above.

Nov 25, 2018, 4:26 PM

If we can do it in preparation for GT; why do you all feel so confident "it didn't happen"? I am just as confident it did.
Their defense was too banged up. Plus, if your offense is good enough you can just "big 12" a win! To answer the question about why their defense didn't do the same. Good offense beats good defense any day. As a life long fan who likes defense more than offense; believe it. Same is true in basketball; all you can do is be in the best position and try and make a play.

Please, tell me why so confident? Again, not talking about hours per day. 15 minutes a day except for the week of the game is what I'm referring to.

At any rate. Tigers got the win despite them playing far and away better (for some reason) than they have all year! By 3 TD's.
This could be a blessing in disguise as it will re-focus the attention to detail I believe! Attention to detail and basic concepts of how BV wants the defense run. Hopefully, it enables the ability to make adjustments on the fly based on opponents formations and personnel groups! In short, trusting your technique and coaching!

Apparently the first team gamecock defense...

Nov 25, 2018, 3:45 PM

...wasn't invited.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic