Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: OOC Scheduling
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Plyler's Blog: OOC Scheduling

Jun 25, 2014, 10:09 AM

OOC Scheduling

OOC Scheduling
Bruce Feldman is an excellent writer for Fox Sports and this week he called Clemson's out of conference schedule the nation's seventh toughest.

This year the Tigers' schedule includes a trip to Georgia and a home game against South Carolina. Clemson will host South Caroli

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plyler's Blog: OOC Scheduling

Jun 25, 2014, 10:54 AM

I've often thought it would be neat to play any of the service academies. I'd love to see that happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree about keeping the in-state. The mid-major should

Jun 25, 2014, 11:02 AM

change to a home/away with a Big 5 conference...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:Plyler's Blog: OOC Scheduling-disagree w the last paragph

Jun 25, 2014, 11:03 AM

I dont like playing schools from the lower classification. it gains you nothing. we need to focus on our program not what helps them. Sorry Furman ( where I went for some classes), Coastal, and the others

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's the difference in......

Jun 25, 2014, 11:12 AM

Beating S.C. State 52-13 as opposed to Beating a MAC team 45-10 like the Big Ten schools do?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Re: What's the difference in......

Jun 25, 2014, 11:40 AM

classification, number of scholarships, and perceived difficulty is the difference. nothing gained by stepping down in class. Ask Michigan.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2014, 1:34 PM

MP

I take issue and disagree with your last paragraph in today's blog.

"Finally, because we do have to have home games I am fine with one of our games being against an FCS opponent then I like playing the in-state teams. I see nothing wrong with playing The Citadel, SC State, Coastal, Wofford, Furman, Charleston Southern, etc. It helps them and I would rather play against them than I would against a team like Texas State."

Clemson fans are not interested in these cupcake games. They are boring. They do little for the program except to allow numerous substitutions. They are more of a scrimmage. They do help the pocketbook of these opposing schools. The fans from these schools don't even bother to travel to a nice venue like Clemson and DV. I think the scheduling gurus at Clemson should de-emphasize these games and develop new rivalries. You could not call any of these instate opponents a genuine rivalry. Take a look at the stadium beginning the game, halftime, and the 4th quarter. At the end of the day both the fans and the program get cheated.

Yes lets load the schedule up so we never have a shot

Jun 25, 2014, 2:16 PM

at an undefeated or 1 loss season and a championship.

I'm gonna have to agree with Micky on this one

Jun 26, 2014, 12:50 PM

There are positives to playing the in state AA schools. This is the game that you get the backups that much needed experIence. You can't replicate game day in practice. Use the game as Military Appreciation each year. You can forget home and homes with the service academies, that isn't happening. However, if the playoffs change the scheduling landscape and teams start trending towards more difficult OOC schedules, then no doubt, we have to follow suit, and not play these games. As of today though, right now, I'm all for one glorified scrimmage each season. Preferably the first or second game each season, since college has no type of preseason games to get them ready for the real season

maybe in the spring but not in the fall-- the talent gap is

Jun 26, 2014, 2:40 PM

enormous-- it doesn't do anyone any good even backups-- 2 Citadel players looked like they had taken their last breaths after an interception return the last time we played them as our defensive guys turned into blockers and absolutely destroyed them

Stil want trip to Ole Miss, Austin/TX, TN, ALA, MICH, LSU***

Jun 28, 2014, 11:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2014, 9:11 AM

Walt disagrees with scheduling tough ooc games. I happen to agree with Plyler here. I don't think fan bases from both sides mind seeing maybe one instate school like Citadel or Wofford etc each year but the fans want quality opponents as much as possible. It's called getting the most bang for your buck. Positioning yourself with weak ooc opponents may be good strategy for the playoff but it puts enormous pressure on 3 or 4 key games. In USC's case if we are good enough to make the 4 team playoff we should be able to handle an ECU like we have this year and schools like UCF like last year. The UCF team we faced last year was having a once in a lifetime season. Neither side wants to admit it but playing each other is a boost to both schools schedule in a big way. A state this size with (2) top 10 programs right now is pretty amazing IMO.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic