Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Steroid scandal at South Carolina
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 3,767

Steroid scandal at South Carolina

Jan 9, 2014, 8:51 AM

The Tommy Chaikin story.

If you've never read it, take the time. Very interesting. It's like a little mini novel.

"By my junior year I'd say about 50 guys out of the 100 on the team were using steroids..."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1067916/1/index.htm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

spurrier has found that old black magic too***

Jan 9, 2014, 9:07 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Following the article....

Jan 9, 2014, 9:11 AM

a federal grand jury indicted four $CU football coaches in connection with steroid distribution to players. Three of those coaches would plead guilty in plea-bargain arrangements and the fourth (Tom Gadd) would later be acquitted. This whole episode is still considered to be one of the biggest scandals in college football history. I'm just surprised the NCAA never forced $CU to forefit games from the 85, 86 and 87 seasons as the result of the programs rampant steroid use.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

And here's the kicker....

Jan 9, 2014, 9:35 AM

They still sucked....

null

Re: And here's the kicker....

Jan 9, 2014, 9:39 AM

TU, backer and a hearty lmffao! Aside from '87, where they still managed to screw up and lose 4, they got nothing out of the juicing. If Morrison hadn't died, they'd have been hammered by the NCAA.

Re: Steroid scandal at South Carolina

Jan 9, 2014, 9:38 AM

I'm by no means a coot sympathizer, but after reading all of that, you can't help but wonder why it took as long as it did for others (other teams, other players, other coaches) to step up and say something about steroid abuse. I'm just glad to say that from the way our team acts and plays, it doesn't appear we have to worry about that with us. Even just looking at current and former players (I'm currently in a class with Miguel Chavis and Patrick Destefano), they're big, but not 'roid big.

Keep up the good, clean work boys. Go Tigers.

$CU has almost always been so desperate for football success

Jan 9, 2014, 9:49 AM

that they would knowingly, willingly, and gladly compromise what little was left of the character and integrity of the university, their player, and their coach if they though it might translate into more wins.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2014, 9:43 AM

I read that article a few years ago and it was very alarming. I remember the scandal when it happened, but had no idea it was that bad. Makes you think steroids and drugs probably had something to do with Morrison's death.

On a side note, I had a coot fan yesterday try to say the steroid "scandal" within Clemson's Olympic sports was equally as bad.

Morrison had a history of health issues....

Jan 9, 2014, 9:57 AM

including heart problems and high blood pressure that were exacerbated by a poor diet, drinking, and chain smoking.

He smoked on the sidelines.***

Jan 9, 2014, 10:04 AM

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When he was recruiting a friend of mine from high school

Jan 9, 2014, 10:32 AM

he sat in their den chain smoking for two hours. After he left, my friends mom said they thought they were going to have to get the house fumigated.

Yeah, but besides that he was pretty healthy***

Jan 9, 2014, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Morrison had a history of health issues.... ]

My wife's college roommate was George Hyder's sister

Jan 9, 2014, 9:48 AM

I saw George a couple of times, and the steroid abuse was evident - large hands, pock marks, voice, etc. There was a lot more going on than steroids too, rampant drug abuse. George actually stole his mom's silver ware to hock for drug money while he was in school. George did leave that lifestyle behind eventually, but too late. He died a few years ago from renal failure resulting from his years of abuse.

I knew George, but not well. It was shocking how big he

Jan 9, 2014, 1:13 PM

got after HS. He was a big guy in HS, but not overly. I saw him during his 2nd year at SC and could not imagine how he got so big, so fast. Of course, we know now.

He seemed like a good enough fellow though. RIP George.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson's scandal

Jan 9, 2014, 10:08 AM

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemson_University_steroid_scandal

Bless your heart.***

Jan 9, 2014, 10:30 AM

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell 'em coot

Jan 9, 2014, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Clemson's scandal ]

sad attempt....smh

Using "drags" headline was teh awesome***

Jan 9, 2014, 12:34 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2014, 1:35 PM

Tommy Chaikin was paid to give that interview. The NCAA found nothing. Bob Marcum had been fired for his poor drug testing policies before the article was even known.

Meanwhile in Pickens County...an athlete is found dead with steroids in his system, 3 coaches indicted, AD resigns, president resigns,and the school is put on probation.

Jan 22, 2020, 10:31 AM

say what poohcoot

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2014, 1:44 PM

Shouldn't throw rocks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemson_University_steroid_scandal

Jan 9, 2014, 1:46 PM

In January 1985, Sports Illustrated published an article on steroid and other prescription drug abuse in athletic programs at Clemson University which came to light following the death of a world-class track athlete at the school. The article, titled "A Pipeline Full of Drugs" and written by Sports Illustrated's Bill Brubaker, alleged the widespread use of illegally obtained prescription drugs, including steroids, in a number of programs at the university.[1] Following the article, several Clemson coaches were indicted and pleaded guilty to charges of illegal prescription drug distribution, and the scandal ultimately led to the resignation of these coaches, the athletic director, the head of campus police, and the university's president.

Replies: 21
| visibility 3,767
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic