Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Running quarterback haunts Clemson defense yet again
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Running quarterback haunts Clemson defense yet again

Nov 27, 2011, 1:09 AM

Running quarterback haunts Clemson defense yet again

The fact that South Carolina relied on the legs of quarterback Conner Shaw came as a surprise to no one. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Running quarterback haunts Clemson defense yet again

Nov 27, 2011, 1:12 AM

EVERYONE knew that's what they were going to try ... except Kevin Steele. he's gotta go.

Oh, he knew.***

Nov 27, 2011, 3:43 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Demon Deacon problems? There's an app for that too, and it ain't buggy like that yellowjacket repellant:

Re: Oh, he knew.***

Nov 27, 2011, 3:54 PM

GREAT CLEMSON HAS STRUGGLED AGAINST RUNNING QB'S AND ARE 1 AND 2 AGAINST RUNNING QBS THIS YR. (BEAT MD, LOST TO GT AND USC). NOW WE GO INTO ACC TITLE GAME AGAINST A TEAM THAT IS PEAKING OR CLOSE TO PEAKING IF NOT ALREADY AND GUESS WHAT....... THEY HAVE A RUNNING QB O JOY. UNLESS WE SOME HOW FINALLY FIGURE OUT WAY TO PLAY CONTAINMENT AND ASSIGNMENT FOOTBALL AND STOP A RUNNING QB CLEMSON MIGHT AS WELL JUST GIVE THE ACC TROPHY AWAY.

O SIDE NOTE WHEN SAMMY "DEUCE" WATKINS DROPPED GUARANTEED TD PASS (ONLY HAS DROPPED ONE PASS PRIOR TO THAT ALL YR) I KNEW THE STARS WERE ALLIGNED AGAINST US TO LOSE THAT NIGHT AGAINST USC UGH!!!!!!

Re: Oh, he knew.***

Nov 28, 2011, 10:20 AM

Please turn off CAPS LOCK and use a comma.

Who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS?***

Nov 27, 2011, 1:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never saw that coming - who could have imagined?

Nov 27, 2011, 1:14 AM

:(

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Thanks Steele!!! I hear Books-A-Million is running a special

Nov 27, 2011, 1:17 AM

on "Coaching Defense for Dummies"...post your address and I will be sure to send you a copy

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Steele should be fired tomorrow. $750 K a year for what

Nov 27, 2011, 2:29 AM

has turned out to be one of the worst, if not the worst, Defenses in the nation.

Don't forget the incentives: $25,000 every time we hold

Nov 27, 2011, 3:42 AM

an opposing QB under 200 yards rushing.

Demon Deacon problems? There's an app for that too, and it ain't buggy like that yellowjacket repellant:

Same players + different coaches = same result

Nov 27, 2011, 2:42 AM

The issue is the talent, not the coaching.

O-line is awful - really limits the offense.
No power back - cant get short yardage.
D-line and linebackers are lost.

These issues aren't coaching. I'd be delighted if Dabo resigned tonight but until we get talent where we need it the problem will not be solved.

I'll say this: remember the Alabama game in Atlanta which led to the end for Bowden? Why is the last 4 games any different?

Re: Same players + different coaches = same result

Nov 27, 2011, 12:58 PM

Are you crazy?? The defense had at least 7 NFL players on it last year (including the 5 playing in the league now, Thompson and Branch) and although good (about 24th in defense if I recall correctly), the defense should have been Top 5 easily.

Last year was an example of talent covering up a poor DC much like 2009 was an example of offensive talent covering up a poor OC (Napier).

Our talent this year is not anywhere near Alabama level but it is certainly better you are giving credit for.

My opinion is this comes down to player development on the defense and poor schemes. Rashad Hall has regressed as a player and our LB play is still below average.

People complained over and over about how Vic Koening's defenses could not get off the field but all of his defenses were better than any Kevin Steele's.

Totally disagree

Nov 28, 2011, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Same players + different coaches = same result ]

That is saying coaching doesn't matter. It matters a lot. Talent is great, but coaching is essential.

i remember after the middle tenn state game...

Nov 27, 2011, 2:45 AM

i think it was steels first season.he said he would fix it.hasnt done it yet.

I can just see the TV ads:

Nov 27, 2011, 3:41 AM

Kevin Steele walks into the team meeting and puts up a picture of this week's mediocre opposing QB, turns to his players and pleads, "Won't you please help this poor young man who, after college, will never play a down of football again. All he wants is to have a big game on national T.V., and YOU can make that happen."

The Clemson Make-a-Wish-Foundation. Making dreams come true.

First gut laugh since the game.

Nov 27, 2011, 3:47 AM

Thanks.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can just see the TV ads:

Nov 27, 2011, 4:34 AM [ in reply to I can just see the TV ads: ]

Amen-the man is a disgrace to college football.

was not on runs...it was on scrambles...

Nov 27, 2011, 3:56 AM

seems like every qb we play is great at "SCRAMBLING" since the three years he has been here

Nov 27, 2011, 6:02 AM

Miised assignments!!!! This is coaching! Poor tacklig!!! This is coaching!Poor execution!!! This is coaching Not only the defense, the offense has been and is inept. 8-0 then 1-3...reminds me of Tommy ball.
I have been a Tiger fan for 50 years, Tonight I was embarrassed to be one for the 1st time. Clemson won't win another game this year. So much for a change.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Too bad Ellis Johnson is not as of an idiot as Steele***

Nov 27, 2011, 9:00 AM

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Too bad Ellis Johnson is not as big of an idiot as Steel***

Nov 27, 2011, 9:01 AM

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Steele lol

Nov 27, 2011, 10:30 AM

How did Steele get here anyway? Why did we hire him after his defense was thrashed by Utah in 08?

Nov 27, 2011, 10:36 AM

Poor Coach Choices is Haunt Clemson , until we pay a proven winning coach who has won nat title we will always be just clemson

We knew & still could not stop it.......................

Nov 27, 2011, 1:16 PM

How many teams have we played that run the the zone read? Wake, Maryland, Wofford, Troy, Auburn, VT, & now South Carolina. The question is of course, have we improved defensively throughout the season against this type of offense.......the answer is no. My question is why not? It's not like this is the first time we have ever seen this.....everybody runs some variation of that play. Are we that bad player wise or is it coaching? Is it both?

Coaching for sure

Nov 28, 2011, 10:23 AM

Players maybe. Steele has not been an adequate LB coach along with being a questionable DC. Coach "Cheese" hasn't been impressing me with his DB development either.

"I don't know"

Nov 27, 2011, 4:00 PM

No sh!t

Nov 28, 2011, 11:04 AM

All Conner Shaw did was wait for our Defensive Backs to turn their backs to him and he would take off running.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2011, 11:11 AM

because we only run man coverage-it would be amazing to play some zone coverage or have a spy-wait a minute, that would mean Kevin Steele would earn his pay-can not have that.

How To Defense A Running Quarterback

Nov 28, 2011, 11:22 AM

You use a CONTROLLED RUSH, stay in your lanes .... An overly aggressive rush can actually HURT YOU. You rush in blindly and "overshoot", the O Blocker merely needs to shield you from the QB, since the QB being the fast guy he is, sees the gaps and goes "where the defense ain't". I know this because "back in the day", playing D End, I rushed in blindly, and I got so burned on the reverse ......

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tired of lost players

Nov 28, 2011, 2:51 PM

I am just tired of seeing 2 or 3 players (and some of them upperclassmen)atleast once per drive running around with their hands out asking for help on where he is supposed to line up or what coverage scheme they are trying to run. You should not have guys out there completely lost during the 12th game of the season. No matter what their talent level is.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tired of lost players

Nov 28, 2011, 7:21 PM

You have a valid point. I did read (I am a newbee to TigerNet!) that the Clemson D is "complex". I played football (but NOT at D-1), and personally I always thought that simpler was better ... "Coach" always said that fundamentals ALWAYS beat "finesse football" Could go on and on, but think "AK-47" simple is best (gun guys know what I mean by this)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic