Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Spurrier quote about Mack Brown
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 2,014

Spurrier quote about Mack Brown

Dec 19, 2013, 5:24 PM

If you read the whole article it somewhat describes the CEO coach title and what it can mean. Found it interesting since it was written by one of Brown's former players.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/post/_/id/4686398/happy-trails-to-mr-football

Here is the Spurrier stuff excerpted from the article:

The cruelest and most accurate thing ever said about Mack Brown came from Steve Spurrier. Spurrier was then the coach at Duke. Brown was at North Carolina. Spurrier was fashioning himself into a monomaniacal offensive strategist. Brown was becoming a Reaganesque CEO. When sportswriters traveled that little corner of the ACC, Spurrier would say, "I just don't think I know enough about the game to compete with Mr. Football."

Mr. Football. It was a missile fired directly into Brown's massive heart. It transformed Brown's best asset, folksiness, into softness. It spoke to a certain lack of edge. In 1989, Spurrier beat Brown's Tar Heels 41-0 in Chapel Hill. The Blue Devils stayed on the field and took a picture in front of the scoreboard.

Spurrier wouldn't let the slur go. By 1997, he'd moved to the University of Florida and won a national championship. The sportswriter John Feinstein sent Spurrier a note saying that if he thought he was so great, he should go back to Duke. "Nah," Spurrier wrote in his reply, "I don't think I could deal with the pressure of competing with Mr. Football again every year."

Message was edited by: Sludgemuffin®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mac Brown and Spurrier's

Dec 19, 2013, 5:26 PM

resumes are very comparable

Re: Spurrier quote about Mack Brown

Dec 19, 2013, 5:59 PM

There's a fine line between clever chit talker and smug azzhole. Spurrier crossed that line many years ago.

... as he hit the water in the bowl.***

Dec 19, 2013, 6:44 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The more I learn about Spurrier, the less I want to know.***

Dec 19, 2013, 6:49 PM

Re: Slurrier is just a smart #### hole.***

Dec 19, 2013, 7:22 PM

Re: Spurrier quote about Mack Brown

Dec 19, 2013, 7:32 PM

Spurrier will get his someday, and a few coaches will pile on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 2,014
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic