Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Spurrier is not God, but..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Spurrier is not God, but..

Nov 25, 2012, 2:56 AM

.. had he not come to our state to rescue the Gamecocks & prove to the world he can bring success to wherever he wants to go things would certainly be a lot different in the Palmetto State.

As much as he irks me, I must say that he is a great coach & the sole reason we've lost 4 in a row now. As much as our football team has shown brilliance on a football field, I must say that our coaches are no match for Steve.

I just hope Dabo & our boys can watch the film & learn something before this time next year cuz I really don't want to watch that man gloat anymore.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not on a patronizing adventure here, but there are

Nov 25, 2012, 7:03 AM

several indisputable facts. When rumors began circulating about SC's probable hire of Coach Spurrier, quite a large number of Clemson folks were saying, "D@mn, we should've hired him first!" Secondly, like him or not, he is a brilliant tactician and strategist, and he proved that again last night. Thirdly, he will long be considered one of the greater coaches in the history of the game. Fourthly, he has helped to gain more attention toward football in our state, although the national media generally attempts to give short shrift to both schools; however, at least both schools are attaining a reasonable amount of success...each in their own way. Lastly, in my opinion the better of the two coaches won...and as a former award-winning player and coach, Steve Spurrier at this point should be the better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do they have our number until the master is gone?

Nov 25, 2012, 12:32 PM

It was like watching a methodical chess genius puppeteer his pieces to one 3rd down conversion after another. I can't remember the last time I witnessed such a disparaging discrepancy in time of possession. I'd like to think our defensive recruits were as highly touted as their offense which has lead us to this conclusion. We must slay the dragon that is Steve Spurrier; I believe Dabo has great potential but am unwillingly concluding that he most likely does not have the know-how. Maybe unfortunately for us, there might not actually be a coach out there that can get us to the next level n' beat our visor-wearing counterpart let alone crack the top 10 of the BCS n' stay there.

Looks to me like Spurriers goal is not to be buddies with

Nov 25, 2012, 7:18 AM

his players or anybody else for the matter LOL. He demands perfection and respect from his player. Probably some fear too as nobody wants to face him on the sideline after a error. He come across as a jerk/jackazz to many but it seems to work for him in coaching youngsters. Did not work for him in the Pros though. I don't know how he treats players in practice. Looks like he doesn't mind taking you out of a game(s) if you goof up

Re: Looks to me like Spurriers goal is not to be buddies with

Nov 25, 2012, 7:30 AM

They probably hire Spurrier Jr. to take his place.

Good! That redemption would feel great.***

Nov 25, 2012, 9:20 PM

Re: Looks to me like Spurriers goal is not to be buddies with

Nov 25, 2012, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Looks to me like Spurriers goal is not to be buddies with ]

"They probably hire Spurrier Jr. to take his place"

What school that takes football seriously would hire a wide receiver coach with no coordinator experience to take over the head coaching position? Don't be ridiculous.

^^^^Winner^^^^

Nov 25, 2012, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Looks to me like Spurriers goal is not to be buddies with ]

Steve doesn't care to be buddies with his players, and that's the big difference.

I think in the last 2 years, we've watched Dabo go from an "on-fire" coach who's never satisfied to a buddy-buddy type guy. On the scale of Tommy Bowden to Nick Saban, we've watched Dabo slip pretty far to the left...talking about 10 wins, most teams would be happy with it, half the teams lose each week...etc.

I want a coach with a "10-2 isn't good enough, and I'm not pleased with it" mentality. Dabo came across that way a few years ago - seemed very hungry - and now he's in Bowden mode. Is it just me, or has he lost some of his "fire"?

Most disappointing is that he doesn't seem to get the rivalry...at all.

I've been a fan of Dabo (and still am), but I do feel like I'm starting to lose a little respect for him if he's trumpeting 10 wins over nobodys while losing the only two games against teams with a pulse...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How exactly have we shown "brilliance" on the field????***

Nov 25, 2012, 1:01 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not fast enough or nearly talented enough..

Nov 25, 2012, 1:13 PM

.. to keep a top 10 SEC team under 30 points despite nearly 3 full quarters of ball possession, or be able to account for 8 touchdowns all by myself against a solid N.C. State team so I consider these athletes n' coaches to be rather brilliant to be ranked among the top 15 teams in the entire country.

How about you???????????

He irritates me to no end, but

Nov 25, 2012, 1:01 PM

I do respect him as a winning HC. He recruits well, usually has a good game plan and wins. He won at Duke, Florida and, hard to believe, SC. He comes into our place, prime time, packed, loud, against our home winning streak, against our high-powered offense --- and beats us like a drum. His football team is just flatout better than ours.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He irritates me to no end, but

Nov 25, 2012, 1:20 PM

He is doing the same thing against Georgia.He also owned them when he was at Fl.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are close to greatness. Kinda scary.***

Nov 25, 2012, 9:15 PM

Re: They are close to greatness. Kinda scary.***

Nov 25, 2012, 9:34 PM

They hired Holtz to step up their game and I think it drew some attention to SC. When that leveled off, they got Spurrier; and even though it took longer than I expected they are a legit top 10 program now. Think just 13 years ago they went 0-11. Who the Coach is matters.

Feels like it was yesterday!***

Nov 25, 2012, 10:22 PM

Re: Spurrier is not God, but..

Nov 25, 2012, 10:56 PM

All true here, and Spurrier did the same thing to Georgia. They hate him to this day.

I don't see us beating them next year

Nov 26, 2012, 9:36 AM

Their stadium, rat-hole it is, has become quite an advantage. Unless Spurrier hangs it up, I'm afraid we will suffer five-in-a-row. :(

Despite them doubling our time of possession..

Nov 26, 2012, 8:15 PM

.. we were still only one big play away from taking the lead in the 4th quarter. Let's keep things in perspective here. Despite sustaining numerous drives of over 8 plays they didn't get many touchdowns. Keep the faith, man!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, KEEP THE FAITH!!!!!!!!!!!!! or at least for the love of Tiger Nation!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic