Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Rules changes for the 2013 season that you need to know
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Football Update: Rules changes for the 2013 season that you need to know

Jul 22, 2013, 12:20 PM

Rules changes for the 2013 season that you need to know

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What inspired the spike rule? I think that's a stupid one.***

Jul 22, 2013, 12:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

+1***

Jul 22, 2013, 1:19 PM

SPIKE RULE TERRIBLE!!!!!!

Jul 22, 2013, 2:59 PM [ in reply to What inspired the spike rule? I think that's a stupid one.*** ]

That just doesn't make sense.. The clock play has been part of football for a long time and there was no reason for changing it.

So, crackback blocks are illegal except for noon games?***

Jul 22, 2013, 12:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Georgia Tech is exempt of course.***

Jul 22, 2013, 12:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Spike rule is stupid

Jul 22, 2013, 12:41 PM

3 seconds is way too long a time to argue it is too short for a spike and clock stoppage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Changes play calling during the 2 minute drill***

Jul 22, 2013, 12:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

will the injury rule be called the LSU rule?***

Jul 22, 2013, 12:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Except, they WANTED the clock to keep running

Jul 22, 2013, 12:47 PM

We wanted to keep running plays and save the clock.

If they feigned injury (and I think they actually simply were worn out), but if they did fake them it was to stop our momentum not to save clock.

This rule would've changed nothing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Except, they WANTED the clock to keep running

Jul 22, 2013, 2:52 PM

exactly. if you go back and watch the game, you will see their only "injuries" came when the clock was stopped. The ONLY exception to this was went we were already in field goal range.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spike Rule is a significant change If no TOs under 20 second

Jul 22, 2013, 12:47 PM

s it pretty much makes you throw the ball

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Edit: Aaron Muray is pleased with this new rule***

Jul 22, 2013, 12:49 PM

Best Is The Standard

The ACC, in a joint announcement with ESPN, also confirmed

Jul 22, 2013, 12:58 PM

That penalties would continue to be called to the most significant detriment to Clemson possible.

Good, now we have something to cite

Jul 22, 2013, 1:02 PM

Givin 'im the bidness subsection required

Clemson

Re: Football Update: Rules changes for the 2013 season that you need to know

Jul 22, 2013, 1:01 PM

#2 is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Why on earth? That basically makes 0:02.99 = 0:00.00

You can still run a play...just can't spike it.

Jul 22, 2013, 1:02 PM

Basically means you don't have that "timeout" in your pocket if there are less than three ticks left.

You are reading the rule correctly

Jul 22, 2013, 1:12 PM

But does it really make sense to you that you can't kill the clock with a spike, if the clock reads 2.9 seconds? That seems WAY too long a time to make that rule. I might understand at 1 second, but 3? Thats plenty of time.

This is ridiculous

Jul 22, 2013, 1:06 PM

Rules 1, and 2 are stupid and 5 doesn't sound very enforceable.

1. So we're down by 1 and in FG range and run one more play to center the ball, and call timeout to kick a FG, but a lineman turns an ankle on the play and the refs blow the whistle while he's attempting to hobble to the sideline. Game over, and we lose? This is stupid.

2. Same situation but spike the ball with about 3 seconds left to stop the close and kick a FG. But they go to replay and see that the ball actually hit the ground with 2.9 seconds left. So the game is over? Stupid.

3,4. Fine, but the ejection for a full game is a bit extreme. And IMO, the auto-ejection is too extreme.

5. ###? You can't hit someone below the waist before the ball is snapped. That wording was really necessary? This is a terribly written rule and does nothing to protect players anymore than the existing rule.

Not exactly

Jul 22, 2013, 1:18 PM

1) If the clock must be stopped for injury, this rule comes into play. Our player, if he's heading to the sidelines, wouldn't cause a clock stoppage. It would really only come into play if he was down after an injury giving us what used to be a timeout we didn't have.

2) Nope. You can't initiate a play that would be a spike if the clock reads, as the ball is snapped, less than 3 seconds. Now I think that's stupid as there is plenty of time to spike the ball with 2 seconds or less, but the rule is about when the play starts, not when it ends.

3,4) I'm no fan of auto ejection. It removes any common sense. I'd also like that to be something that is ONLY every done via replay, so it can be managed by someone seeing it outside the bang-bang split second judgment pressure. Also, were it up to me, and with such huge penalty at hand, I'd make it post-game decided by some non-partisan group (not league offices) and ejections only effecting the NEXT game.

5) The wording is bad indeed. How much time must be elapsed, surely that is important.

In five years, you will only be able to tackle with the arms

Jul 22, 2013, 1:10 PM

Any contact except with your arms will be illegal. The average score in a football game will then exceed that of basketball and there will be no such thing as concussions.

GT is crack back U and will get away with it because, PJ***

Jul 22, 2013, 1:39 PM

Re: Football Update: Better Rules

Jul 22, 2013, 1:39 PM

1) If a player goes down with an injury, and is not unconscious, vomiting blood, or does not have a visible dislocation, or a bone protruding through skin then said player will be ejected from the game.

2) Wear a helmet. If a helmet comes off of a player during a play, said player should take cover, and protect his head.

3) Punters/Kickers shall never be flagged for anything. This includes unnecessary roughness, hitting out of bounds, face mask, un sportsman like conduct etc...

4) Spike the ball anytime you want. If time runs out, then you didn't get the ball spiked in time. Go to locker room, the game is over because you failed to manage the clock.

5) Rules will be the same for the entire game. Rules will not change based on time left in game, location of players on the field, etc...

6) Saluting the fans on military appreciation day, after scoring a touchdown, will not result in a personal foul penalty.

7) Outdoor artificial playing surfaces are banned.

8) The Heisman Trophy will go to the best player in college football, regardless if that player's team is in the top 10 or not.

9) Veterans, the disabled, and the elderly never pay for a ticket.

10) No entity that has a business relationship with a team or conference shall be allowed to vote in a poll, be allowed to create a poll, or otherwise directly have a hand in choosing the final rankings, including the national championship game/national champion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

ALL HAIL FRANCIS MARION...Rule # 8: thumbs up.***

Jul 22, 2013, 4:01 PM

Rule #9? Does an old, disabled, WWII vet get three tickets?

Jul 22, 2013, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Better Rules ]

If so I need to find me one.

You guys think this is the last round of rule changes?

Jul 22, 2013, 2:19 PM

It's going to happen every year until the sport is broken.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You guys think this is the last round of rule changes?

Jul 23, 2013, 2:28 PM

With all these ### NCAA rules, college sports is being ruin by the NCAA and their attempt of removing the competitiveness from sports by the way of over ruling. Parents and the student athlete know there are risk, and they have accepted it. When does all the freaking excessive rules stop. Don't use a head lock in wrestling b/c restricting blood flow from brain causes brain damage. Don't ride horses b/c it causes hemorrhoids, back injury or death. Don't play baseball b/c it cause shoulder, arm/elbow, leg, and AS$ damage. Don't play basketball b/c running up and down on a hard floor causes multiple joint and body damage. Golf, bowling, track and field, swimming, everything we do causes some sort of damage. The human body don't and has never come with a warranty. And WE let people that don't have an athletic bone in their body make the rules for everything we love doing. The rules makers sit on their fat AS$ES smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol, and eating their self to death with bad foods while making rules for the physically fit that will out live them by 20 years!!! Sure football is a tough sport that demands being in top physical condition along with the right protection while playing. But it isn't that much of a difference than any other sport with the proper protection being wore correctly. Give our kids what ever it takes to protect the players of the game. No sport is risk free and completely safe from injury. We all know there is risk in about everything we do, and the kids and their parents except it. Don't over rule college sports until its no longer any fun, and it isn't worth the time playing or watching it anymore. The NCAA rule makers really should stop choking college sports to death with all their stupid nit picky AS$ rules. They will end up ruining college FB to where it won't be worth playing, or watching it be played. Your most physical players will be ejected from the games. Every play will have multiple flags with game changing time just wasted off the playing clock. And for the ones that don't think this is so, don't go any where, just watch. They are not even close to finished with their rules that will choke out the sport of college FB before they move to the next sport. And that will probably be basketball b/c of it's better strength and conditioning programs in college's now. The basketball players are working out more and more getting bigger and stronger making them even more physical in the games. But in a couple of years, those IDIOTS we call the NCAA. They will destroy college Football game as we knew it and loved it. Get rid of the NCAA, or get rid of college FB, because they are gradually but surly killing that sport. IMO, I believe we are watching the beginning of the end of college FB that will be worth watching on TV. And surely not worth paying the bucks it cost to go and watch in the stadiums. They are driving their rules stakes through the hearts of college football that will eventually destroy our most loved college sport very soon. Please conference commissioners, No more NCAA. They don't do there jobs correctly or fairly in punishing the cheaters when caught. And they are destroying the biggest money maker in college sports by choking it to death with excessive rules that makes the sport of Football meaningless and not worth watching at any cost. Get rid of the NCAA for the millions of fans that pay the bills for Collegiate sports. Please No More NCAA rulings over the best sports in America. Collegiate Sports Rule, so get RID of the NCAA, their rules are killing our sports!!!

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic