Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Speaking of season finales.....Sopranos
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 276

Speaking of season finales.....Sopranos

Sep 15, 2020, 4:30 PM

After Lost, this might be the most discussed show of all time in the lunge. At the time of the finale, I vaguely recall it being about 50/50 in here between "OMG that was the greatest ending ever" and the rest of us (me included if I wasn't obvious) who wanted to take a lead pipe to our TV's because we didn't like it.

Here in 2020, where are we....genius ending or cop-out?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After rewatching the series I liked it.***

Sep 15, 2020, 4:34 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i think the Sopranos was brilliant...

Sep 15, 2020, 4:36 PM

the entire series was built in part on a sense of dread that Tony was going to die horribly or that someone in his family might die in his place. Sometimes you were even rooting for it based on his actions. So the ending just let you carry on wondering what kind of fate they met.

I'd be interested to rewatch lost to see if it was as bad as I remember. There are a whole mess of websites now arguing it was brilliant and most of us just didn't get it, but I would have to rewatch to know if that is true or not.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Lost has done one big thing for TV, and that's

Sep 15, 2020, 4:49 PM

given us quality series that probably could have gone on in a watered down form, but instead chose a fixed end-date from the get go and planned the story arc from the very beginning.

I think that was Lost's biggest issue.....they had no idea it would be as popular as it was, or get renewed as many times as it did, so there was a big period of aimlessness, story wandering, and random unresolved plot spurs that just muddied the waters. I also think there was a big writer's strike somewhere in the middle of the show that really screwed things up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sopranos suffered from that as well...

Sep 15, 2020, 4:54 PM

there were a couple of full seasons of that show which could have been two episodes and told the story pretty much the same way.

But LOST also gave us a pretty big leap in what was acceptable for the small screen. Complex stories weren't all the rage until after it hit. It did seem to translate into success for netflix and cable channels more than networks, but still...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Damon Lindelof has said he wanted LOST to go 3 seasons

Sep 15, 2020, 5:00 PM [ in reply to I think Lost has done one big thing for TV, and that's ]

but the network insisted it go 10 seasons (at least) which he negotiated down to 6 seasons. If you look at his other TV work (Leftovers and Watchmen) they are 3 seasons or less and are considered fantastic. So, I think you're right that the length of the show created many of the problems seen in the final season. The writers strike probably hurt too, but Breaking Bad also was affected by the writer's strike and it maintained its quality.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so, worth watching if I've never seen it? Running out of

Sep 15, 2020, 8:44 PM [ in reply to I think Lost has done one big thing for TV, and that's ]

binges.

On season 3 of American Horror Story now, and it's not moving the needle in the right direction for me....Season 1 was enjoyable, Season 2 (Asylum) was 13 episodes of "WtheF ELSE can they cram in here?"...this witch season 3 isn't doing it for me...

however, I hate tv shows with no closure or 'bad' endings, and I'm definitely not up for sitting thru 7 seasons or whatever knowing that it's got a ###### ending.....

Having sat through it once, I can say I wouldn't do it again

Sep 16, 2020, 9:13 AM

With that said, the first couple seasons were incredible TV, with some flashes of brilliance thrown in the remaining seasons.

It's a good question...I guess I'm no help because I'm on the fence. I can't say don't do it, and I can't say you can't miss it like I would with something like Breaking Bad.

That's because people have gotten significantly more stupid

Sep 15, 2020, 4:53 PM [ in reply to i think the Sopranos was brilliant... ]

in 10 years, and what was once considered pointless garbage is now heralded as genius 4D plot building.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know David Chase basically said that Tony was killed

Sep 16, 2020, 9:41 AM [ in reply to i think the Sopranos was brilliant... ]

https://decider.com/2020/06/11/david-chase-sopranos-ending-tony-dies/

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't know, but I feel better now that I do.***

Sep 16, 2020, 10:03 AM

Brilliant - I loved it then and I love it now

Sep 15, 2020, 5:10 PM

David Chase was so great and I loved how he never discussed the ending publicly. Just let it fester. Ditto the Russian guy in Pines Barrens. Just like in life, somethings just don't have endings and are loose ends.

Message was edited by: Jimbeam®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Put me in the

Sep 15, 2020, 6:10 PM

"Never watched it" side.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You should. ******

Sep 15, 2020, 6:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good ending and it made you think and come up.............

Sep 15, 2020, 6:19 PM

with what you thought happened.

It's still being talked about. Maria didn't watch it originally but just finished binge watching it and we were talking about the ending.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Speaking of season finales.....Sopranos

Sep 15, 2020, 6:46 PM

Cut to the bedroom from The Bob Newhart Show, where psychologist Bob Hartley wakes up next to his wife, Emily. “All right Bob, what is it?” Pleshette asks, as the studio audience cheers and claps in obvious surprise and delight. “I was an innkeeper in this crazy little town in Vermont,” Newhart says. “Nothing made sense in this place,” rattling off all the oddities that defined his dream life. “That settles it — no more Japanese food before you go to bed,” Pleshette replies. Newhart gets the last gag of the series: “Go to sleep, Emily. You know, you really should wear more sweaters.”

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Wire finale was great and a better series.

Sep 15, 2020, 8:15 PM

Sopranos was great though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVEwpYt0EwE

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I tried watching The Wire. Couldn't get into it.******

Sep 15, 2020, 8:35 PM

Re: The Wire finale was great and a better series.

Sep 16, 2020, 10:05 AM [ in reply to The Wire finale was great and a better series. ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4LhXycJ7rI&ab_channel=blexasgames

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Speaking of season finales.....Sopranos

Sep 16, 2020, 9:00 AM

I watched it after the series had ended so I knew what the ending was. I thought it was good. But I probably would have felt differently if I had watched the series over several years and wanted resolution.

Replies: 19
| visibility 276
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic