Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Speaking of Dwight Clark, I'm calling BS
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Speaking of Dwight Clark, I'm calling BS

Aug 7, 2012, 5:24 PM

on Wikipedia (surprise, surprise):

"In 1979 the head coach of the 49ers, Bill Walsh, wanted to find a place to work out future third round pick, quarterback Joe Montana. Walsh needed a place to workout Montana and a friend said, "I can get you into Clemson, and I have a wide receiver who can catch." After 2–3 days of practice Montana said, "If you draft me, then you draft Dwight Clark." so Walsh did and Clark became Montana's favorite target until he was starting with Jerry Rice."

The way I heard it was that Walsh was interested in Clemson QB Steve Fuller. While trying to contact Fuller about a workout, Fuller's roommate, Dwight Clark answered the phone. Clark agreed to catch passes for Fuller's workout, thus catching Walsh's eye.

I may have some of the details wrong, but I'm positive that Clark wasn't discovered while helping Joe Montana workout.

Thoughts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_Clark

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Speaking of Dwight Clark, I'm calling BS

Aug 7, 2012, 5:27 PM

I heard the story pretty much the same as you. They were looking at Fuller and stumbled onto Clark !!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well, it is wikipedia

Aug 7, 2012, 5:34 PM

where anyone can log on and write whatever they want

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heard the Fuller part back then also

Aug 7, 2012, 5:39 PM

;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

just wait or few minutes for sources

Aug 7, 2012, 6:05 PM

or I'll ask Joe Montana to clear it up.

Aug 7, 2012, 6:13 PM

I heard it the same way that you did. Can't imagine there being a mistake on Wikipedia that is an internet source:):) The only part of the quote on Widipedia that is right is that Walsh was the coach of the 49s.

I heard it the way you heard it.

Aug 7, 2012, 6:14 PM

The notion that a college senior - even the mighty Notre Dame QB - would dictate to Bill Walsh who he would draft or not draft is ludicrous. In those days, if an untested draftee had made such a demand he would have needed luck to get picked up by the CFL. No NFL team would have touched him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I doubt that story as well... more than likely Clark was

Aug 7, 2012, 6:21 PM

"discovered" while they were scouting Steve Fuller. Or other CU players... DTs Archie Reese & Jim Stuckey were drafted by the 49ers about that same time.

And here is a contradictory version on wikipedia:

The 49ers other notable draft choice of the 1979 draft was wide receiver Dwight Clark in the 10th round. Walsh discovered the unheralded Clark while scouting quarterback Steve Fuller of Clemson University as Clark ran routes for Fuller during Walsh's evaluation of the quarterback. Walsh's serendipitous discovery of Clark proved to be an early glimpse into the coach's keen eye for talent.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Aug 7, 2012, 6:35 PM

Dwight Clark A.D.?

Aug 7, 2012, 7:26 PM

Not likely. My guess is Billy D. He has been groomed for the job for years. Some aren't happy about that.

I have no idea, nor do I have a dog in the fight, but I

Aug 7, 2012, 7:35 PM

get the feeling there would be a significant backlash if Billy D gets the nod. I don't know Billy D, and I don't know what it is, but there is a very vocal contingent who bristle at the idea. Why is that - what has he done to warrant such?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic