Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Spartanburg NAACP to meet to discuss changing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Spartanburg NAACP to meet to discuss changing

Jul 16, 2015, 1:51 PM

Byrnes high schools mascot from the "Rebels". SMFH. LOL at the ones who thought this was going to be a good idea... I see more divisiveness now than ever

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't this already happen years ago and

Jul 16, 2015, 1:55 PM

the racially inclusive flag supporters went full Klan about it and the mascot stayed?

The actual mascot ....

Jul 16, 2015, 2:14 PM

which carried a Confederate flag was changed but the word "Rebel" remained.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Didn't this already happen years ago and

Jul 16, 2015, 6:02 PM [ in reply to Didn't this already happen years ago and ]

"full Klan"...

thats quite funny. Indeed. I give you +1.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Didn't this already happen years ago and

Jul 16, 2015, 6:06 PM

If only the naacp would do something that would actually help the black community. This kind of crap only makes thinks worse.

They're going to be the Byrnes Conformist and have Tomas de Torquemada as their mascot***

Jul 16, 2015, 6:16 PM

Nevermind, the racially inclusive flag supporters

Jul 16, 2015, 2:00 PM

did lose 24 years ago and the flag was removed. This present day story involves a former player looking for the NAACP to spearhead a name change. Facebook pages against it are up and running!

whats wrong with Star Wars?

Jul 16, 2015, 2:02 PM

racist cartoon

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well, it does have rebels in the name, math checks out***

Jul 16, 2015, 2:24 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I read the article....

Jul 16, 2015, 2:07 PM

The local NAACP chapter president says that, "all symbols of racial hatred and pain should go right along with the Rebel Flag."

What this guy doesn't realize is that the term Rebel is a fairly generic term referring to any person or group who resists authority or takes-up arms against a government or ruler.

Yes, the term "Rebel" or "Reb" was often used to refer to Confederate soldiers during the Civil War just like the term "Yank" or "Yankee" was used to refer to Union soliders, but the term certainly isn't isolated to the Confederate army during the Civil War. The term actually dates back to the 1300's and 1400's and the wars between the French and the English if not further than that.

I think the term itself is fairly innocuous unless the Rebel in question is carrying a Confederate battle flag.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which was settled 24 years ago.....

Jul 16, 2015, 2:11 PM

The NAACP and the player that spearheaded this are reaching. Highly doubt this goes anywhere....

I tend to agree.....

Jul 16, 2015, 2:15 PM

Even using the most liberal of interpretations, this is a bit of a stretch.

I don't attend Byrnes games but I wonder

Jul 16, 2015, 2:20 PM

if the flag still has a presence there through some of the fans attending. I remember that being an extremely heated debate and situation back in Nineteen Hundred and Ninety One.

I'm pretty sure that's against District policy***

Jul 16, 2015, 2:25 PM

Yes, but in the case of Byrnes high school, the name was

Jul 16, 2015, 2:49 PM [ in reply to I read the article.... ]

not chosen to represent the rebels in Star Wars, or the rebels in ancient Israel who all committed suicide rather than be taken by the Romans. It's kind of stupid to act like we haven't got ANY idea why Byrnes thought "Rebels" would be a great name for a sports team.

It has been a quarter century since the

Jul 16, 2015, 2:54 PM

mascot change and removal of the Confederate image. It is possible most Byrnes supporters and students nowadays associate Rebels with complete generic thoughts.

Re: Yes, but in the case of Byrnes high school, the name was

Jul 16, 2015, 4:51 PM [ in reply to Yes, but in the case of Byrnes high school, the name was ]

Believe you're the one that's kind of stupid my friend...if you want to take the word "rebel" and turn it into some sort of vile, racist word then that's your problem and opinion. That's right, opinion, we are still allowed to have those aren't we? It's my opinion that the word "rebel" is just fine. It's my opinion that the flag should still be flying at the confederate monument. And it's also my opinion that there are a$$holes in the world like you that constantly want to cause trouble. Here's the thing..There are black and white PC, my opinion or you're wrong people in this world and you both make me sick...but that's just my opinion

^^^this guy is so soft he's offended by sports team names.***

Jul 16, 2015, 5:41 PM [ in reply to Yes, but in the case of Byrnes high school, the name was ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Yes, but in the case of Byrnes high school, the name was

Jul 16, 2015, 8:26 PM [ in reply to Yes, but in the case of Byrnes high school, the name was ]

Idiot

It's stupid to be so concerned with Byrnes being called

Jul 16, 2015, 9:21 PM [ in reply to Yes, but in the case of Byrnes high school, the name was ]

Rebels.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spartanburg NAACP to meet to discuss changing

Jul 16, 2015, 2:09 PM

This doesn't surprise me. I went to storm Thurmond high school and they forced us to change our rebel mascot. At the time we had the southern gentleman like ole miss but the funny part is it got changed to a blue tick coon hound. I sh!t you not. But they have talked about changing the rebel mascot all together

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rebel is not a derogatory term. But for Rebels, the colonies

Jul 16, 2015, 2:42 PM

would still be under the yoke of Britain. Rebellion often leads to positive change.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now if I remember correctly,

Jul 16, 2015, 5:30 PM

I thought the term "rebels" refers to the Rebel Alliance and their intergalactic struggle with the Empire.

There's something in these hills.

Re: Now if I remember correctly,

Jul 16, 2015, 6:14 PM

Remember James Dean and "Rebel Without a Cause". Johnny Rebel is not the only Reb. I like what Kid Rock had to say. They can kiss my ###.

Jul 16, 2015, 7:21 PM

and just what do U think is THE GOAL of the naacp??the more hatered and distrust they can cause the more they like it... keeps them "needed"(in their eyes)!!worthless bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2015, 7:27 PM

Is this the same NAACP that fired one of their officials because they weren't BLACK enough??? THAT is RACIST. This organization needs to be burned down, blown to ####, destroyed, and never to be heard from again. They are the biggest race-baiters on the planet (throw Sharpton is there with them). I will cheer the day that organization is eliminated.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic