Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sorry to keep pouring salt in this wound, but ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1,795

Sorry to keep pouring salt in this wound, but ...

Apr 17, 2014, 10:06 AM

Does anyone else think the deck was somewhat stacked against CK for the SG???

Okay - first off - I like Stoudt as a QB, and in fact may have been the ONLY person on the planet that preferred Stoudt to Boyd. I love the way Stoudt makes his reads and distributes the ball - and protects it. I am very happy with Stoudt finally getting his chance to show how good he really is.

That said - I think it was obvious that CK had to deal with Beasley and Jarrett being constantly in the backfield. Who wants to have to deal with those two? And I love D-Rod, but Mike Williams is a much easier target IMO. I just thought it was interesting that CK had a much bigger task to succeed than Stoudt. And playing 'touch' with the QB eliminates any advantage CK would have since his strength is the RUN. I had to wonder if some of that was planned to make it easier to separate the 2 QB's. Being a conspiracy theorist in many situations, I couldn't help but notice the extreme difference between the two teams.

If you have ever played sports and took turns choosing players from a group, you know that you really try to make it fair. This selection was NOT FAIR IMO. No way should Beasley and Jarrett be on the same team. Throwing Mike Williams in the mix just made it a joke.

Inquiring minds wonder what really was going on behind the scenes.

We can just move on since it's over and done now - but I hate to see things end this way. I wish CK all the success possible in the future.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perhaps

Apr 17, 2014, 10:11 AM

I don't really think "fair" has any real merit here. Did he have a tough job to do, yep. Did he do it well, not really. Do either of those things excuse his reaction Saturday? I guess that's up to each person to decide.

And not knowing the details of his dismissal (as practically none of us know what really happened), I don't see much in the way of excuses worthy of being offered.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe the coaches put him in that position on purpose

Apr 17, 2014, 10:13 AM

perhaps they saw the lack of leadership skills and wanted to see how he would react to adversity.

I'm sure the touch rule hurt him slightly. But they went full contact long enough in the spring that Kelly had 14 practices worth of film to show what he could do.

Re: Sorry to keep pouring salt in this wound, but ...

Apr 17, 2014, 10:13 AM

It really doesn't matter what they coaches had or didn't have in mind. Dabo could have told CK to play with one hand behind his back in a wheel chair. What does matter is how he responds to the situation and no matter what that is on Kelly.

null

Yep.

Apr 17, 2014, 10:15 AM

It's not the challenge that matters, it's how you react to it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This!***

Apr 17, 2014, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Sorry to keep pouring salt in this wound, but ... ]

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

the int. ck threw in the redzone was a direct result of

Apr 17, 2014, 10:23 AM

the pressure put on him by our d-line, imo (although throwing the ball out of bounds would have been a better option). the "touch" system did hamper ck's game,though.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The opposite is true. The coaches were catering to Kelly's

Apr 17, 2014, 10:27 AM

strengths(and Watson's) when they allowed the qb's to be hit during scrimmages during the Spring. That was a risky move, as we saw with the injury to Watson. But they risked it to cater to the strengths of Kelly and Watson and give them a better chance to unseat Stoudt.

The deck was stacked against Kelly in the Spring game, but it wasn't done to handicap Kelly. You can't allow the quarterbacks to be hit in the spring game, especially after the injury to Watson. Everyone would have understood those limitations. All he had to do was go out and do his best and handle it like a mature team leader confident that the coaches understood his full body of work over the course of the spring, which Tavaris Barnes alluded to in his post spring game comments.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you this time.

Apr 17, 2014, 10:28 AM

I've said before the situation was by design. The purpose was not to show the world how bad CK was it was to stress CK to extend his limits. That's not an unreasonable thing for coaches to do.

I also agree that Cole is the better QB between he and Boyd. The reason Boyd was our starter was because we lacked offensive linemen and versatility at the RB position.

We are closer to solving those two problems now and I'm looking forward to our offense being more of what Swinney and Morris want it to be.

All that being said, that freshman is the dual threat QB this offense needs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So quit doing it

Apr 17, 2014, 11:38 AM

Deck stacked or not......The young man has some issues. If he can't deal with the pressure in a scrimmage, then a big game is definitely too much for him. It probably was stacked to see his reaction.....he failed the test.

As for blaming his behavior on his parents, as some suggest. He is old enough now, the blame is on him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Apr 17, 2014, 4:21 PM

I see your point but.... His receivers were getting open. He made the wrong reads on both ints throwing into dbl coverage. Watchdog the game again today. The second interception, both defenders went with the deep receiver and nobody went with Humphries. Wide open! Watch it. Stoudt was getting a good pass rush too, but made quicker and better reads and putting the ball on the money AND threw it away to avoid sacks. Throwing the ball away is a lost art with the "more mobile" QBs. Yes they make some nice runs but also take some big losses thinking they can always escape OR being to quick to run too soon.

One more thought. Cole was most likely the leader in the race before the SG. Thereby earning the better WRs. The last few yrs Tajh got the edge over Cole so he could work with HIS guys.

Regardless of who had the better talent, Kelly's performance was not the issue. It was his behavior. Thank God that rather large chink in the armor was exposed in the SG and not in a real game.

One thing you are forgetting

Apr 17, 2014, 4:27 PM

The Spring game doesn't really have a whole lot to do with the coaches making a decision as to who will be starters in the fall. I don't think this conspiracy holds much weight imo. Sure Williams is an easier target than D-Rod but the D-line was about even to me. The entire defensive line is a solid group.

One last thing you're forgetting...

Apr 17, 2014, 4:31 PM

He's not as good as Stoudt. Never has been, probably never will be.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One last thing you're forgetting...

Apr 17, 2014, 4:36 PM

OK. My point was the cards weren't necessarily stacked against him. Whether or not Stoudt is a better quarterback is pretty much opinion, and will be until we see both of them in a game where they aren't playing garbage time.

Re: One last thing you're forgetting...

Apr 17, 2014, 4:48 PM

These are comparative stats by halftime of the sprig game.

CS 13-8 98yds, 7.5 yds per pass attempt, 12.5 yds per pass completed, 6.2 yds per play involved in (pass or rush) 3 receivers completed to (Mike Williams, Jordan Leggett, Artavis Scott) 93% of his yardage to MW and JL

CK 18-10 113 yds, 6.2 yds per pass attempt, 11.3 yards per pass completed, 3.6 yards per play involved in, 6 receivers completed to.

As a team the Orange OL surrendered 11 total sacks. 4 to Chad 7 to Shoeless Nick.

As a comparison Nick averaged .6 yards per play involved in while on the Orange Team.

Loved seeing Chad run..& YES, I think 1 finger tag hurt him

Apr 17, 2014, 4:32 PM [ in reply to One thing you are forgetting ]

Go Tigers & Good Luck Chad.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still doesn't answer the question

Apr 17, 2014, 4:43 PM

How da helll do u get kicked out of a SPING GAME!!!!'

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

The true mettle of a leader is often tested under adverse

Apr 17, 2014, 5:29 PM

circumstances.

Perhaps, this was the staff's method for determining which QB was best suited to lead our offense. Regardless, one handled his duties with great aplomb and determination; another didn't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Lord said "Put Stoudt in!!" and it was made so***

Apr 17, 2014, 6:07 PM

Apr 17, 2014, 6:11 PM

Our D line was deep, so I think it isn't easy for either QB. Ultimately, the spring game doesn't mean as much to the coaches as it does to the fans. They will see them all fall, and have seen them all spring. CK would have had the same opportunities to prove himself that CS had. It might seem like it to us fans sometimes, but it isn't like the QB who leads his team to victory in the SG is declared the starting QB.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just stop

Apr 17, 2014, 6:45 PM

Both the Orange and the White teams had a grand total of one experienced scholarship WR. Everybody else was either a true freshman or a walk-on. With Peake still recovering from injury and Hopper in the dog house our numbers are thin, and neither QB had enough weapons.
Kelly actually had the most proven WR on either roster, Humphries, on his team.

And even if the preposterous idea that you have were true it still doesn't excuse his actions Thursday night, Saturday, and Monday.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1,795
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic