Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bob Woodward's new book
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 494

Bob Woodward's new book

Sep 4, 2018, 11:41 AM

His new book paints a picture of a Trump staff that recognizes the president is so unhinged and dangerous that they apparently have swiped papers off his desk to keep him from signing them.

Some quotes of staff members in the book:

"He's an idiot. It's pointless to try to convince him of anything. He's gone off the rails. We're in crazytown." -John Kelly

John Dowd calls Trump a "####### liar" and says he would end up in "an orange jump suit" if he testified before Mueller.

And a story about Gary Cohn, arguably one of the smartest guys to serve in the Trump admin:

The book opens with a dramatic scene. Former chief economic adviser Gary Cohn saw a draft letter he considered dangerous to national security on the Oval Office desk.
The letter would have withdrawn the US from a critical trade agreement with South Korea. Trump's aides feared the fallout could jeopardize a top-secret national security program: the ability to detect a North Korean missile launch within just seven seconds.
Woodward reports Cohn was "appalled" that Trump might sign the letter. "I stole it off his desk," Cohn told an associate. "I wouldn't let him see it. He's never going to see that document. Got to protect the country."

Pretty disturbing picture all around.

Trumpies trying to argue that Bob Woodward has no credibility in 3... 2... 1...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/04/politics/bob-woodward-book-donald-trump-fear/index.html

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

I'd vote for a Chimpanzee if it cuts my taxes,

Sep 4, 2018, 11:47 AM

cuts spending, appoints conservative judges, and enforces immigration laws.

but it is funny that an "idiot" beat "Her"

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better start thinking long game.

Sep 4, 2018, 11:50 AM

Because all those things might go away if he keeps up his behavior.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

how so?***

Sep 4, 2018, 11:51 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: how so?***

Sep 4, 2018, 11:52 AM

I think you're about to see the Dems make massive gains in the next two elections on Trump alone.

meh. GOP will pick up seats in the Senate

Sep 4, 2018, 11:54 AM

The house is likely to flip but it will be close. I'm ok with gridlock. that keeps spending down

GOP will hold or pick up seats this election based....

Sep 4, 2018, 12:02 PM

on who is up for election, but that will likely reverse in 2020.

I fear the long-term result of Trump is going to dem nominating more far left candidates and them getting elected.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you mean worse than Obama did?

Sep 4, 2018, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Re: how so?*** ]

lol

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

also, keeping the Court majority is more important

Sep 4, 2018, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: how so?*** ]

than a House majority

Re: how so?***

Sep 4, 2018, 11:10 PM [ in reply to Re: how so?*** ]

Have you got a surprise waiting for you!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And that's exactly what you did. The

Sep 4, 2018, 12:09 PM [ in reply to I'd vote for a Chimpanzee if it cuts my taxes, ]

question is will you vote for him again?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I live in a swing state and voted for him.

Sep 4, 2018, 12:15 PM

unless there are other realistic options, I will do so again. If I lived in SC, I would vote Libertarian.

Re: I live in a swing state and voted for him.

Sep 4, 2018, 12:20 PM

That's what I did in 2016. I was hoping that would be a louder statement that neither major party represented me than not voting. I don't think anyone got the message though.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The chimpanzee, in this case,

Sep 5, 2018, 9:56 AM [ in reply to I'd vote for a Chimpanzee if it cuts my taxes, ]

cut your taxes temporarily, appointed some conservative judges, has done little to reduce spending, and fumbled with a few immigration laws (and has largely had no effect on illegal immigration).

All the while,
* More adults are uninsured today, than in 2016
* There's no border wall, as promised
* There's no infrastructure bill, as promised
* He's undermined our justice department, judicial system, and free press
* Inflation is at a 10-year high
* Politically, we are more divided than at any point in my adult life

Congrats?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'd vote for a Chimpanzee if it cuts my taxes,

Sep 5, 2018, 12:49 PM [ in reply to I'd vote for a Chimpanzee if it cuts my taxes, ]

You could have beat "Her" my friend.

oh, and they were always attacking Reagan's intellegence

Sep 4, 2018, 11:48 AM

as well.

Did Reagan have this kind of disarray in the White House?***

Sep 4, 2018, 11:49 AM

you mean like Al Haig claiming he's in charge?***

Sep 4, 2018, 11:52 AM

So that's one incident...

And it happened in a moment of panic when Reagan was shot and incapacitated. Doesn't show a pattern of disarray or rebellion among the staff. C'mon man. Bad example.

Iran Contra freelancing around the WH***

Sep 4, 2018, 11:58 AM

That "disarray" was caused by a REAL bullet,

Sep 4, 2018, 1:12 PM [ in reply to you mean like Al Haig claiming he's in charge?*** ]

not the verbal barrage the democrats hurl in the media.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He certainly had a lot of his staff indicted/arrested.

Sep 4, 2018, 12:08 PM [ in reply to oh, and they were always attacking Reagan's intellegence ]

Really set the bar high. Also, Reaganomics were pretty stupid.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

your last statement...you know it's coming...

Sep 4, 2018, 11:50 AM

but this one should be interesting to watch as Woodward has a long history and is more recognizable than most journalists/authors.

I thought Bush at War was a great book and the Bush admin working with Woodward was one of the smartest things they did, as it pretty much put to rest the idea that VP Cheney was running the show as a shadow POTUS.

Pretty hard to hit the credibility of Woodward...

Sep 4, 2018, 11:51 AM

And he's no raging liberal by any sense.

And he knows a thing or two about getting great insider sources to speak out against a president.

It's an interesting concept............

If you think a dude is deranged, is it smart to put out a book that completely cockblocks the people trying to restrain the derangement. If this snippet is true, you know the first thing Trump would do would be to start yelling "WHERE THE F IS THE SOUTH KOREA TRADE AGREEMENT!!!???"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It shouldn't be Woodward's concern...

Sep 4, 2018, 12:00 PM

now...for the folks that told him that...that's a different story.

Brings up a larger question...do folks working for Trump who have such an opinion of him have the responsibility to make their concerns public or do they do more for the public good by staying in their position and trying to do a good job for the POTUS and in turn, the public? That seems like a tough one to me.

that's a good point. If you think the president is

Sep 4, 2018, 12:01 PM

really so stupid that he might irreparably harm the US or worse, start a war, think they would have a duty to come forward.

I think if you threw yourself under the bus and made your

Sep 4, 2018, 12:01 PM [ in reply to It shouldn't be Woodward's concern... ]

concerns known, it would last for one news cycle and then you'd just be a footnote on a Wikipedia page and unemployed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry, I phrased it wrong. Not so much authoring the book

Sep 4, 2018, 12:03 PM [ in reply to It shouldn't be Woodward's concern... ]

as providing the quotes that sabotage the good you supposedly did.

It's like putting out a book saying "I changed the nuclear codes when Trump wasn't looking, but don't tell him".

darn it, I keep saying the same thing now....change that to

Sep 4, 2018, 12:04 PM

"providing a quote".

Early onset alzheimers I think.

I thought the same thing

Sep 4, 2018, 1:09 PM [ in reply to It's an interesting concept............ ]

Trump will be signing that agreement within minutes of reading that line of the book.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FIFY:

Sep 4, 2018, 2:30 PM

Trump will be signing that agreement within minutes of reading that line hearing Fox News speak of the book.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haven't read the book, and I have nothing negative to say

Sep 4, 2018, 12:18 PM

about Woodward, but the reason I don't get too excited about it one way or the other is that we have way bigger issues than what kind of person Trump is or isn't. Another "here is proof Trump is bonkers" expose' isn't addressing anything people don't already know.

The forces that put him in office had been building for some time, and the reaction of the left - by left I do not mean democrats - has been to increase those forces. The reaction to that by the right has been to double down on Trump. The term"identify politics" might have regretfully become a verbal card to play, a buzz word that is losing its meaning, but that view of reality is very real, very divisive, and very destructive, I think. And very wrong.

If we don't do something to stop it we may end up with someone worse than H Clinton (like Ocasio-Cortez) running against someone worse than Trump. The problem is not Trump, and if we elect a Hillary or Ocasio-Cortez to anything the problem will not be her. It is in the mirror in either case.

So why does a guy like Woodward, a smart and insightful guy, spend time and energy writing about what we already know? I think it is because writing about what we need to see would necessarily require including himself in the audience, and not many people can do that. We're going to ride that ship all the way down, I think.

Will be interesting to see how the

Sep 4, 2018, 1:01 PM

air heads spin it.

"He's part of the deep state"

"Woodward donated to Hillary Clinton"

"He's crazy, he doesn't know what he's talking about. He was only a coffee boy for 3 hours"

I like your funny words magic man

All books by the liberal media and even ex-Intel losers

Sep 4, 2018, 1:04 PM

..are extended hit pieces on The President because the mainstream fake news outlets don't have the the time. Yawn. Same old ####, different day.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Horse sheet....Bush At War was no hit piece....

Sep 4, 2018, 1:19 PM

none of Woodward's books are hit pieces, per se.

You're full of crap and just prove cata's point.

So who are you going to believe?

Sep 5, 2018, 9:36 AM

Woodard or John Kelly's (and others) denial of what Woodard wrote?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO, the truth is somewhere in between.***

Sep 5, 2018, 1:43 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 37
| visibility 494
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic