Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who is your all time Clemson basketball starting five?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 73
| visibility 1

Who is your all time Clemson basketball starting five?

Apr 21, 2020, 10:01 PM

Pick five players, one for each position. Choices should be based on their Clemson careers and not professional careers. Mine:

G - Skip Wise
G - Greg Buckner
F - K.J. McDaniels
F - Horace Grant
C - Tree Rollins

It was tough to leave off Dale Davis, Elden Campbell, and Sharone Wright. We had a lot of good big men, especially in the 80s and early 90s.

What is your starting five?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I'll go Rollins, Nance, Grant, Wise, and Boogie McIntyre. I

Apr 21, 2020, 10:28 PM

would love to see Boogie getting the ball to those 4!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I strongly considered McIntyre in my 5. Great player!***

Apr 21, 2020, 11:42 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Who is your all time Clemson basketball starting five?

Apr 21, 2020, 11:12 PM

Tree Rollins
Horace Grant
Jaron Blossomgame/KJ McDaniels
Wil Solomon/Greg Buckner/Vincent Hamilton
Chris Whitney/Skip Wise

I am really surprised and disappointed in the level of Wing Forwards in Clemson history...

I really can't make distinctions between the three perimeter positions because they all were great in their own way, bringing something special to the team different from the others. You asked for a starting five, but if you want greatest at the position:

Tree Rollins
Horace Grant
KJ McDaniels
Wil Solomon
Skip Wise

I agree, the small forward position was the hardest

Apr 21, 2020, 11:45 PM

since we haven’t really had any great ones there.

I’m glad you mentioned Will Solomon. He is perhaps the best pure scorer we’ve ever had. Underrated due to playing on some crappy Shyatt teams. He was like Iverson in that he wasn’t going to wow you with his field goal percentage, but man he played really hard and scored in a variety of ways despite being undersized.

In today's game - Grant, T. Booker, Whitney, Rivers, Wise.

Apr 21, 2020, 11:12 PM

Got to be able to hit the 3 and defend the perimiter; Wise, Rivers, and Whitney all capable there. Horace and Booker were relentless inside but could defend all over the court. Bring in an all-arounder like Buckner off of the bench, and you've got a pretty good start.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

That is a good five!

Apr 21, 2020, 11:47 PM

Interesting choice with Booker over some of the other great bigs we’ve had. I agree that he gives some additional speed that the others don’t.

A "bigs" role is much different now that it was 20+

Apr 22, 2020, 9:31 AM

years ago. It's all about the 3, and how that big can facilitate that. We've had some really good traditional big men, but I think they'd be less effective in today's game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 21, 2020, 11:35 PM

I’m sorry, what does this have to do with brain dead dictators?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ha ha!***

Apr 21, 2020, 11:48 PM

Tree Rollins, Dale Davis, Elden Campbell, Buckner, and Mcyntyre.***

Apr 21, 2020, 11:39 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quite the imposing front line you have there.

Apr 21, 2020, 11:50 PM

No easy baskets inside for the opposing team.

On the flip side, this would likely be the worst free throw shooting team we’ve ever had (and that’s saying something!).

tough decisions to go against Buckner, one of my favorites..

Apr 22, 2020, 12:24 AM

but Will Solomon would be my shooting guard, he was one of the most competitive players I've seen in a Clemson uniform, he willed us to victory many of times when we should have been run out of the building. The game at UVA when he put up 30 comes to mind, It must have been frustrating for him to be on so many bad teams.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where is Larry Nance?***

Apr 22, 2020, 12:55 AM

Here, here! Nance les ya to our only Final 8 appearance

Apr 22, 2020, 7:59 PM

And was an amazing power forward in college and the NBA.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry. Should say “led us”***

Apr 22, 2020, 8:00 PM

Nance and Billy Williams led us...***

Apr 22, 2020, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Here, here! Nance les ya to our only Final 8 appearance ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2020, 2:51 AM

G - Lou Richie
G - Pasha Baines
F - Rayfield Ragland
F - Tomas Nagys
C - Adam Allenspach

Final 4 contender every year
Go Tigers

How Can Larry Nance Possibly Not Be Here?***

Apr 22, 2020, 7:39 AM

Re: How Can Larry Nance Possibly Not Be Here?***

Apr 22, 2020, 7:49 AM

Nance had a disappointing senior year, but I blame his coach.

Tough competition for the big man spots.

Apr 22, 2020, 8:28 AM [ in reply to How Can Larry Nance Possibly Not Be Here?*** ]

Horace Grant edged him out for being:

-ACC Player of the Year (the only time a Clemson player has won this award)
-All-ACC First Team (Nance was Second Team All-ACC)
-Second Team All-American (Nance was never on one of those teams).

I put Tree at the center spot since that was his natural position. He averaged a double double his entire Clemson career and has his jersey retired.

Nance was a very good college player, but I couldn’t justify putting him above Horace or Tree.

Nance easily had the best pro career of any former Clemson basketball player though.

Re: Tough competition for the big man spots.

Apr 22, 2020, 10:48 AM

It's not an "edge out". I saw them both while a college. Horace was MUCH better as a senior. He carried his team. Larry had a mediocre senior year, but as stated earlier- I blame his coach. Bill Foster never seemed to IMPROVE players.

Not sure what was mediocre about Nance's senior year.

Apr 22, 2020, 3:57 PM

He increased his scoring average by 2 points per game compared to his junior year (16 ppg vs 14 ppg). He averaged 7.6 rebounds per game as a senior, comparable to 8.1 as a junior and 7.2 as a sophomore. He had his best field goal percentage (.575) and free throw percentage (.690) as a senior.

What do you find mediocre about those numbers?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/larry-nance-1.html

They weren't Horace's numbers, but they were still very good. They compare favorably to Elden Campbell's stats as a senior.

He played the 3 in the pros, why not put him there?***

Apr 22, 2020, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Tough competition for the big man spots. ]

I was basing my choices off of their college careers

Apr 22, 2020, 3:52 PM

and the way the game was played at that time.

However, if he's playing small forward, I would put him in my starting five ahead of McDaniels.

Mines:

Apr 22, 2020, 7:48 AM

F Horace Grant
F Greg Buckner
C Tree
G Skip Wise
G Billy Williams

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mines:

May 1, 2020, 4:51 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

maybe unpopular...

Apr 22, 2020, 7:59 AM

but no clemson all time starting five would NOT include Cliff Hammonds. That guy had something in him that i've never seen in any other player in my life. He's certainly not the most talented guy, but he'd be in my starting 5

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2020, 8:00 AM

How about an “all-athlete” b-ball team?

C- Murray Jarman
PF-TRevor Booker
SF-Stan Rome
SG-
PG-

I need help with the guards

Apr 22, 2020, 9:49 AM

PG would be Mike Eppley

null

Grayson Marshall . . . . ? ? ? ?***

Apr 22, 2020, 10:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Grayson Marshall . . . . ? ? ? ?***

Apr 22, 2020, 10:50 AM

Grayson was great, but Eppley was a better all around athlete. And they both played point, so we need a shooting guard.

Apr 22, 2020, 8:53 AM

G - McIntyre
G- G. Buckner
F - Dale Davis
F - Horace Grant
C - Tree Rollins

Coach: Rick Barnes

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gotta have Chubby Wells and Marvin Keys on the list

Apr 22, 2020, 9:07 AM

as 6 & 7th man

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Apr 22, 2020, 9:44 AM

Skip Wise, Billy Williams, Tree Rollins, Horace Grant and Trevor Booker

Apr 22, 2020, 10:01 AM

Was Stan Rome not worthy of a mention? He and Wise made a good duo.

Not sure about all that BUT - it would be UNANIMOUS that

Apr 22, 2020, 10:14 AM

Brownell would be the coach.

He has overcome so much . . . . he HAS to be the coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Apr 22, 2020, 10:26 AM

G Terrell McIntyre
G Billy Wms
C Sharone Wright
F Dale Davis
F Booker

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2020, 10:37 AM

Stan Rome would be the small forward, especially if this were a defensive team pick. He was the one put on David Thompson, and maybe the best athlete ever on the Basketball teams. He ran up to 400 metes and played wide receiver. The best passing inside man was Wayne Croft but he was not a big scoring threat.

Just any of Ellis or Barnes' best 5s. Lord I miss good

Apr 22, 2020, 10:48 AM

Clemson basketball.

And sports in general.

And if I had to be specific:
Buckner
Boogie
Elden
Horace
Jamison

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who is your all time Clemson basketball starting five?***

Apr 22, 2020, 11:15 AM

Apr 22, 2020, 11:21 AM

It is painfully obvious that not a lot of you guys saw any of the Mahaffey brothers, Jim Sutherland, or Gary Helms play. Butch Zatezalo was by far the best scorer that CU ever had, I recall Butch and Pistol's classic battle___what a game.

Okay, so who is your starting five?***

Apr 22, 2020, 12:43 PM

Apr 22, 2020, 11:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Who is your all time Clemson basketball starting five?*** ]

Randy Mahaffey was by far the best of the brothers.

Randy Mahaffey was great! Zatazelo was a pretty good shooter

Apr 22, 2020, 11:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Who is your all time Clemson basketball starting five?*** ]

on a lousy team, but he couldn't hold a light to Skip Wise! Wise was by far the best guard to ever play at Clemson, and was the FIRST freshman to EVER make All ACC first team!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m going with the 3 guys who finished the game in Chapel Hill

Apr 22, 2020, 12:32 PM

playing 3 vs. 5.

Don’t remember who they were, and it’s mysteriously hard to find any record of that game. Have to find it on microfiche, but the library is closed.

1998 I believe it was.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay I found a couple of articles. Looks like it was 4 vs. 5.

Apr 22, 2020, 12:45 PM

Somehow my memory had it as 3 vs. 5.

Anyway, we out scored them 8-4 during that time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It seemed like 3 vs. 5, didn't it?

Apr 22, 2020, 3:49 PM

That was crazy.

Apr 22, 2020, 12:54 PM

My top 5

Tree Rollins in the middle
Larry Nance right side forward
Horace Grant left side forward
Skip Wise point guard
Vincent Hamilton shooting guard

Apr 22, 2020, 3:42 PM

I'll go with:

FIRST TEAM
PG - Terrell McIntyre
SG - K.C. Rivers
SF - K.J. McDaniels
PF - Trevor Booker
C - Elden Campbell

SECOND TEAM
PG - Demontez Stitt
SG - Marcquise Reed
SF - Donte Grantham
PF - Dale Davis
C - Tree Rollins

Any list not including Horace Grant it suspect!! Not even

Apr 23, 2020, 11:56 AM

in your top 10??

Re: Any list not including Horace Grant it suspect!! Not even

Apr 24, 2020, 12:56 AM

To me, Booker, Davis and Grant were my considerations for power forward. He asked for position-by-position. Not my Top 10 players. Those are two different things.

In considering (as Judge asked) the entire Clemson career, I took Booker first because of his production as a freshman, compared to the other two players. Booker averaged double-figure scoring in all four years he played at Clemson, something Davis and Grant cannot say. Grant and Davis peaked higher than Trevor (snapshot view), but I'm looking at the total career...not one or two seasons.

And then I took Davis over Grant. From a scoring perspective, they're nearly identical, but Davis has a LARGE edge over Grant in rebounding, besting Horace by 2.0 rebounds per game on average over the course of his career.

I didn't see Davis as a PF because his spot on the floor

Apr 24, 2020, 7:10 PM

was always inside 8 -10 feet from the basket. To me, Grant and Davis are totally different players; Grant played further away from the basket than Davis, where as Davis was a pure back to the basket player. Grant was not the rebounder that Davis was primarily because he was taking more mid range shots as the first offensive option for the team, where as Davis was the second option for offense on his teams and created the 2nd chance baskets for himself by being under the basket which helped to elevate his scoring...

Davis and Campbell were truly a two headed monster under the basket but Campbell could face up and dribble into the paint better than Davis... Davis was a monster down low but don't ask him to dribble...

Apr 22, 2020, 3:46 PM

I'd be interested to see how you compared Skip Wise's one year at Clemson (as great as it was) to guys like Terrell McIntyre, Grayson Marshall, Ed Scott, and Demontez Stitt who all had stellar four year careers.

Skip was before my time, so I never saw him play.

Apr 22, 2020, 3:51 PM

I have read a lot from others saying that he was an amazing player, especially as a freshman. I believe he went toe-to-toe with Phil Ford and some of the other greats in the ACC at that time.

I agree, it's hard to take his one year and project what we think he would've done over a 3 or 4 year career. It's a shame that he didn't stick around the entire time.

That was a pretty good team. Finished tied for second in

Apr 22, 2020, 6:44 PM

the ACC with 8-4 record. Split with UNC, Duke, Maryland, and NCState, losing the 4 away games. Swept Wake and UVa. Lost by 2 in Chapel Hill. Beat Duke then lost to Tarholes in ACC tourney. Lost in 1st round of NIT to finish 15-11.

Judge, I WAS there for that one year. Trust me, Skip Wise

Apr 22, 2020, 6:58 PM [ in reply to Skip was before my time, so I never saw him play. ]

even as a freshman was the best guard Clemson ever had. I remember an ACC game where we were holding a slight lead with about two minutes to go. We had the ball, and the obvious move was to intentionally foul one of our players to put us on the line. Skip dribbled away from the defenders for almost a minute before anybody was even able to TOUCH him to intentionally foul him. Think about the ball handling skill and change of direction skills that took. The fact that he was only here one year will always be the biggest "What if" in Clemson basketball history to me.

My 5 would be Wise, Rollins, Horace Grant, Trevor Booker, and Demontez Stitt.

Re: Skip was before my time, so I never saw him play.

Apr 22, 2020, 7:33 PM [ in reply to Skip was before my time, so I never saw him play. ]

If Wise had stayed 4 years Phil Ford would be a footnote in the ACC record book!

Yup. A shame he only played TWO pro games ever.***

Apr 22, 2020, 8:04 PM

Apr 22, 2020, 8:22 PM

Devin Gray
Rayfield Ragland
Greg Buckner
Merl Code
Bill Harder

Guess when I was in school!!??

Rick Barnes came into The big lecture hall in Lowry and have a one man pep rally. Immediately flipped the switch....

Sixth man is iturbe!!!

LOL! No Tom Wideman?***

Apr 22, 2020, 10:33 PM

PG-Grayson Marshall, best pure PG in school history

Apr 22, 2020, 9:57 PM

2G-Skip Wise, no contest
SF-Greg Buckner, great mid range player
PF-Horace Grant, best year in school history
C-Tree Rollins, dominating defender

Backups-Chris Whitney, Billy Williams, Larry Nance, Dale Davis, Elden Campbell

Great lists! Lots of good names! Can I give a shoutout to someone?

Apr 22, 2020, 10:14 PM

I’m not as old as some of y’all, but I thought Ed Scott was a great player. Maybe not Top 5 of all time, but I’d like to give him an honorable mention since no one has brought him up yet.

~JKB

Re: Great lists! Lots of good names! Can I give a shoutout to someone?

Apr 22, 2020, 11:25 PM

Darn ..... I thought I was going to be first to mention Ed Scott. Ed was a terrific player and one who got much better each year. BY the time he was a senior he was about as steady and consistent player as we have ever had at Clemson.

Apr 25, 2020, 9:15 AM

our most underrated point guard ever, great team player, .. just played on those crappy Shyatt teams, smart and true point guard, could have been a championship point guard on another team in the league

Agreed, he was excellent.

Apr 23, 2020, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Great lists! Lots of good names! Can I give a shoutout to someone? ]

Like Will Solomon, he was a very good guard who had the misfortune of playing on some not-so-good Shyatt teams.

Ed is a good guy, and has remained involved in our program from a distance. He and Coach Brownell have a good relationship.

May 2, 2020, 8:17 AM [ in reply to Great lists! Lots of good names! Can I give a shoutout to someone? ]

https://clemsontigers.com/bill-yarborough-clemsons-first-all-acc-player/

This is a good read.

Hard for me to choose. But looks like a good list to me.

Apr 22, 2020, 11:17 PM

Would definitely have "The Tree" on there because he was just so fun to watch. And had that one-of-a-kind smile.

Tree with his 'fro was about eight feet tall.

Apr 23, 2020, 12:34 PM

:)

Apr 23, 2020, 12:30 PM

By position:
G: Terrell McIntyre, Greg Buckner
F: Larry Nance, Horace Grant
C: Elden Campbell

Top five, no position:
Trevor Booker
Larry Nance
Horace Grant
Dale Davis
Elden Campbell

Bench:
Sharone Wright
Tree Rollins (kind of before my time)
Skip Wise (kind of before my time)

Wasn't Banks McFadden a two time All-American in basketball?

Apr 25, 2020, 10:55 AM

How many of those have we had?

May 2, 2020, 2:52 PM

PG - Whitney
SG - Stitt
SF - Buckner
PF - Grant
C - Campbell

Bench
McIntyre
Soloman
Booker
Rivers
Davis

Coach - Barnes

The Draft Board - College Fantasy Sports

Launching this fall. Visit http://www.thedraftboard.com to sign up for early access!

May 2, 2020, 8:36 PM

My favorite clemson pg of all time was Chris Whitney. Dude played like 11 seasons in the nba.

May 2, 2020, 9:29 PM

Campbell
Davis
Forrest
Cash
Howling

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 73
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic