Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Something in the "air" last Night
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Something in the "air" last Night

Nov 13, 2016, 8:32 PM

I tailgate with a pretty large group of friends and everyone gives and takes at times. Yesterday we had a couple of kids that were with our group that didn't have tickets and my Girlfriend and I decided to let these kids who had never been into a game have our seats as several in our group were going to stay back and just watch the game from the tailgate, especially since this was "just Pitt" or so I thought. At halftime two more of our group came out and reported there was something weird in the air. Fans we off and the boo birds had taken over. I understand that people were booing the refs but this just got out of control and we could hear it from the tailgate even. These players may or may not have sensed it but there was something definitely different in the air at Clemson according to everyone I spoke to that was in the game. Does anyone have a different experience or similar you would like to share?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There was no doubt

Nov 13, 2016, 8:36 PM

that the boo's were directed to the ref's. We were loud and proud when the defense was on the field, and quietly supportive when the offense was playing. However, when the whistle blew, and the ref's were the center of activity, the crowd was totally focused on letting them know of our displeasure.

Not only that, but the crowd stayed engaged until the Pitt field goal went through the upright. Most stayed and sand the Alma Mater and/or went onto the field.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Something in the "air" last Night

Nov 13, 2016, 8:38 PM

I agree. I can't really put my finger on it but it just didn't feel like a normal Death Valley crowd last night. Even late in the game when our defense needed a big stop, the dB meter on the video boards rarely registered above 100 (yeah, I know that thing ain't real accurate) as compared to Louisville and other games where it was above 110. Just a "ho hum" feel for most of the game..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't know what they call it now,

Nov 13, 2016, 8:39 PM

But years ago they called it "collective behavior". One of the most interesting courses I took at Clemson. Weird things happen when emotions and crowds of people mix.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Yes I could smell it in the air..it was that SC turd ref....

Nov 13, 2016, 8:43 PM

brought stench from cootlumbia

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not just there either

Nov 13, 2016, 8:44 PM

My wife asked me why I was so grumpy about two hours before the game....and I was. I just knew we were going to lose yesterday. Don't know why and I couldn't shake it. But, hopefully the team got it out of their system yesterday and we win every game the rest of this season - including the National Championship!

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Fans could not let it go. Not sure players did

Nov 13, 2016, 8:49 PM

Either.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Start of 3rd quarter was eerily quiet***

Nov 13, 2016, 8:52 PM

It was a loud, informed & spirited crowd last night.

Nov 13, 2016, 8:54 PM

Nothing close to booing the team - was entirely officiating related.

Extremely loud & supportive crowd.

Section T stood the whole time except for halftime & TV timeouts.

Was a great crowd.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Human Nature - Hard to be at 100% all the time.

Nov 13, 2016, 9:04 PM

As fans, we were not as up as we should have been. Complacency. We fans were definitely not as loud as we were against Louisville.
Accordingly the players and coaches were also not at 100% yesterday with too many mistakes and less than best effort on every play.
We all can't be at our very best every moment for every event. We slack off, we become content, tired, distracted.
Can't expect young adults to do it every play and we older adults weren't at our best either. As a crowd we weren't as loud as we should/could have been.
This is what it means to be focused - that's why it is so hard to be a champion.

So tomorrow & each moment of each day, we can try to be the best at whatever we do: employee, player, spouse, student, coach, fan, employer, parent, teacher, etc... And know that we gave it our best shot, lived life to the fullest, and can be proud of whom we serve.

ACC refs have been pretty terrible for as long as I can

Nov 13, 2016, 9:23 PM

recall going to games (especially in basketball), but over the last few years their ineptitude seemed to affect the outcome of our football games less often (perhaps because we have had better talent and played a lot better generally); but Saturday night the combination of our less than stellar defensive play and the OBVIOUS prejudiced refereeing seemed to just set the crowd off.

There were obviously many in the crowd that felt something was "in the air last night" and were very worried about how a cheating ref, poor defensive play, terrible interceptions, a great Pitt game plan, and the typical "play not to lose"-when-you're-barely-winning-down-the-home-stretch mentality of our coaches was all going to play out when the luck fairy decided not to show up.

It's been many years since I've heard the booing for so long after a call, but it wasn't too surprising if you could feel what was "in the air."

thanks for all the feedback

Nov 13, 2016, 9:56 PM

as suspected most people felt and heard the difference. Hopefully the team and the crowd can flush this like Dabo said and get loud for the Carolina game. I for one can promise I will be in my seats and they aren't for sale of free unless I am in the hospital or the morgue.

The booing was 100% ref-directed

Nov 13, 2016, 10:16 PM

It was set off by yet another "tackled him too hard" call againt Gentle Ben Boulware. The poor PI calls, loooong delay reviewing a pretty obvious Clemson TD, and huge disparity in the number of calls against the two teams contributed to the crowd's frustration with the ref crew. I thought it was pretty funny that the booing continued as long as it did, and can't imagine that anyone on the team thought it was directed at our Tigers.

I also thought the crowd did a great job as usual making a lot of noise. I was very impressed with how disciplined Pitt's O-line was; the crowd has forced a number of false starts and delay of games this season, but Pitt was very well prepared for the crowd noise. Hats off to those guys for that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Something in the "air" last Night

Nov 13, 2016, 10:17 PM

I do know that when the crowd gives the reffs a hard time, the calls only get worse. Booing the refs is never a wise thing to do, even if the zebras deserve it.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic