Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Something I've noticed...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Something I've noticed...

Dec 12, 2017, 2:07 PM

Dabo will always tell you that he prepares his team the same way for every opponent, every game, all season long...nameless, faceless opponent, etc etc. But clearly, this program goes into championship mode at the end of the season. It's obvious by what we see from them on the field. Once those orange pants come out, our Tigers kick it into high gear. The difference in our level of play between the regular season and the postseason is easy to see.

I don't know that Alabama does this. I think they truly do prepare the same way for every game, no matter how high the stakes are. It's not because they don't want to win championships, but I think they believe they are good enough that their preparation style is enough to beat anyone and everyone on their schedule, postseason included. in my opinion, this approach works very much against them when it counts the most.

Am I crazy here? Anyone else noticed this type of stuff?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Something I've noticed...

Dec 12, 2017, 2:12 PM

Maybe it's just the result of playing so many players earlier in the season. Towards the end our starters are fresher than the other teams and the 2nd string is more comfortable on the field and playing better.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Something I have noticed for some time

Dec 12, 2017, 2:18 PM

Clemson does not have a "second string" per se.

We have "Next Man Up" for whatever the reason--injury, a breather, RUTS, etc.

No more of this "2nd string" stuff. We have NMU.

TYVM

Dec 12, 2017, 2:46 PM

I don't know, you win four national championships since 2009, two of them utter blowouts, I would hardly say they are underperforming in the post season. Just kinda what comes with the territory of playing great teams, eventually you might loose some. There are plenty of holes to this Alabama team we can exploit, but preparation for a Nick Saban team in a playoff game, he is one of the greats for a reason. With the injured returning we are hitting our stride. We will see if they can do the same.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2017, 3:07 PM

I wasn’t suggesting that Alabama underperforms in the postseason. My point was that Clemson seems to OVERperform. It just seems that we have a “season” mode and then a “championship” mode...a second gear that we go into against teams in championship games, whereas Bama just has one mode all season. Maybe that’s because until this year, they’ve had the elite players who made up a team that was just that much better than everyone else...where that one mode of play and preparation was all they needed.

Anyway, just an observation. I could just be seeing things. Who knows?

Alabama would look strange in orange britches

Dec 12, 2017, 2:55 PM

probably has something to do with it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dunno.

Dec 12, 2017, 3:46 PM

It looks to me like every team assesses all positions of both the opponent's defense and offense then customizes a game plan fitted around their practices to best each of those components.

I think your view is somewhat reasonable but incomplete due to you believing the final games' practices and performances are some special magic switch which makes everyone play better. Imo, it's just a matter of accurately determining each players' ability and installing a game plan which maximizes those abilities. The major difference I see between the two teams is the style of offense.

Of course fundamentals like tacking, blocking, catching, throwing...are always practiced by both teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2017, 3:56 PM

They've won what, 4 nattys recently so I don't think their prep is a problem. It seems like they are never hyped up for these games though, they always seem to have the same attitude every year

Great programs do this. "It's just another game."

Dec 12, 2017, 4:20 PM

"We'll win as long as we play OUR game." etc..

Dab's creating a dynasty, and that's how dynasties, empires, etc. operate.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic