Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Something I'm not sure anyone has considered...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Something I'm not sure anyone has considered...

Apr 10, 2018, 11:47 AM

When DW4 moved on to the NFL, the coaches changed our offense to take advantage of the skills we had coming back. We went from a spread attack, throw-it-all-over-the-field type of offense to more of a spread run-first attack. When you change things up like that, everything changes...blocking schemes on the o-line, routes run by the receivers, TE duties, QB signals, play-calling mentality, everything.

Kelly Bryant already has a year of this new offense under his belt, and all indications are that we will run the same offense this season (we'll find out more about that by what we see on Saturday). Trevor Lawrence's skill set is a near clone of what DW4 did well. For him to run the offense, that would require another fundamental shift of our offensive attack, which as I mentioned, affects every position on the field.

Now, there's no doubt in my mind that the coaches will have some offensive packages ready to go for when TL does take the field. But KB and TL are VERY different quarterbacks, and to start Lawrence over Bryant would require an all-in change back to that pass-first offense, and I'm not sure how easy that is to do given our current personnel (no great pass-catching TE, no established go-to receiver...yet, not to mention we have deadly running backs). Our current players are used to this spread rushing attack we're employing right now, and it seems like it would make more sense to plan ahead for when KB moves on and recruit towards that fundamental change back to the passing attack offense we will employ when TL does take over.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Something I'm not sure anyone has considered...

Apr 10, 2018, 11:54 AM

So an offense that we ran for 6 years would be more difficult to switch back to than one we ran for 1?

I don't think it would be that difficult to switch back over, we have many more weapons at receiver than we do at running back, not to mention Gallman did pretty well (single season rushing record) in the previous offense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So since KB has such a great arm (like 100's on here say)

Apr 10, 2018, 12:02 PM

why would we change the offense for more running? Especially since we didn't have a proven RB like Gallman, and since DW4 was a great runner when he chose to be.

Re: So since KB has such a great arm (like 100's on here say)

Apr 10, 2018, 12:21 PM

why would we change the offense for more running? Especially since we didn't have a proven RB like Gallman, and since DW4 was a great runner when he chose to be.

You were likely one of the complainers when CCM did not change the plays for Cole and continually ran the read option which was obviously not his strength. BTW, can you link to someone stating CB2 has great arm strength?

They did not change the play book, they melded

Apr 10, 2018, 12:09 PM

game plans & play calling to take advantage of some of KB2's strengths.

I don't get where people believe anything that was run last year, wasn't also run by or available to DW4. Were some plays run more often with KB2 and therefore that team in mind, sure.

It's not new, they did the same for DW4 when they put packages together for him to run in his freshman year. Things they knew he'd managed and could put some "wins" under his belt. Those things he was best suited for at that moment in time.

It's the Clemson offense, it wasn't like theChad going out to Nevada to bring back the Pistol hoping to help our run game or Tommy Bowden going to the I some in his spread.

It's all part & parcel of the whole.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They did not change the play book, they melded

Apr 10, 2018, 2:56 PM

THIS ^

No clue why some on here think we chucked the old play book after DW4 left and just started doing things another way with KB taking the snaps .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

We changed the play calling, not the playbook. If anything,

Apr 10, 2018, 12:19 PM

we changed more two years ago when DW4 was a Junior.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Are you trying to take away my award with that post?

Apr 10, 2018, 1:16 PM

Because it really feels like you're trying to take away my award with that post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Um, what?***

Apr 10, 2018, 1:17 PM

I think you just proved my point***

Apr 10, 2018, 1:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I think you just proved my point***

Apr 10, 2018, 1:20 PM

Whatever, man. I have no clue what you're talking about. And I don't much care.

are you sure

Apr 10, 2018, 1:21 PM

that you don't care?

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

I can't speak for Topher, but I can say with certainty...

Apr 10, 2018, 1:32 PM

that I don't care.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Exactly! Who da #### knows what she's talkin' bout.***

Apr 10, 2018, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Um, what?*** ]

null

If Mrs. GWP has a deciding vote, GWP's title is safe...***

Apr 10, 2018, 1:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 10, 2018, 1:28 PM

The one big difference on offense last year seemed to be the tempo at which we were able to play .

Having so many new starters we weren't able to get the plays in as fast . I think that will change this year as everyone will be able to make reads faster , etc .

Apr 10, 2018, 1:30 PM

KB second guessers know he isn't the type of passing threat or pocket presence that DW4 was, therefore has a very slim chance of being able to beat a team like Alabama which requires a complete QB. KB2 is not a complete QB. He is a great runner and a decent passer. Most people who 2nd guess KB2 want to be able to take advantage of the tremendous amount of talent we have on defense right now and in the skill positions on offense to try to win another national championship. KB2 second guessers support KB2. Everyone wants him to play better, but the 2nd guessers know he has probably hit a ceiling in his passing ability and is the reason they want to see TL or HJ or CB have a chance to prove their passing ability and their pocket presence. No one is saying they know more than the coaches. I'm sure the coaches are going to make the best decision they can off of what they have seen, and what they see is in practice. We don't see practice, we see games. Last year we saw that ZC was absolute garbage in games but all we heard was about how good he was in practice. Since we don't see TL or HJ in practice we want to see them in games instead of KB2 to know how their abilities compare to what we are given in KB2.

Very well thought out

Apr 10, 2018, 2:25 PM

You should post more often.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic