Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Someone with more economic savvy than me...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 599

Someone with more economic savvy than me...

May 31, 2018, 8:29 PM

Explain to me why this is a good thing for America?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/trump-imposes-steel-and-aluminum-tariffs-on-the-european-union-canada-and-mexico/2018/05/31/891bb452-64d3-11e8-a69c-b944de66d9e7_story.html?utm_term=.8a8d3e41fce7

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

If you want the jobs and the wages, you can't build America

May 31, 2018, 9:07 PM

on the cheap labor of starving foreigners. Do you want an iPhone built by starving people in China working at slave-labor wages so we can buy them cheap, or do you want them made by well-paid middle class American workers who make them here in the US? No jobs, stagnant wages, but cheap Iphones, or more expensive Iphones, more jobs, and higher wages. It's a wash really IMO.

But what Trump is doing is something that used to be common when we had a middle class, before free trade sent American jobs and manufacturing overseas.

One major problem is inflation. We can't afford to have supercharged economy. We have too much invested in debt. This is a huge danger IMO. But in reality, 5% or so inflation, while higher than it has been in many years, used to be the norm. The system we have in place for decades now keeps inflation low by using illegal domestic labor, and free trade and foreign labor for manufacturing. While that's bad for job growth and wage growth, it is GOOD for debt. It allows us to afford more house because of low rates. It allows us to afford Iphones. But most importantly, it allows Congress to spend more, and allows us to easily service our $21 trillion national debt. 10-15% inflation and our government will be on the brink of default.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you want the jobs and the wages, you can't build America

May 31, 2018, 9:43 PM

I won't ever buy an iPhone. I'm a Droid guy. But if I had to choose between cheaper Droid built by Asians or pricier one built by Americas, I want the cheaper one.

Unless you're going to guarantee that quality is going to be much better with American made, which is doubtful.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: If you want the jobs and the wages, you can't build America

May 31, 2018, 9:44 PM [ in reply to If you want the jobs and the wages, you can't build America ]

Inflation? What inflation?

https://imgur.com/a/8pIj6UN

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Someone with more economic savvy than me...

May 31, 2018, 9:30 PM

I don’t have any economic savvy. I did look up a tariff deficit map today and it appears that pretty much every country in the world imposes higher tariffs on us than we do on them...so maybe it’s just leveling the playing field.

I also read that China eased some of the tariffs on us after being threatened recently...again I don’t follow these things so I really don’t know.

Time for some fair trade. We're done getting ###### over.***

May 31, 2018, 10:14 PM

Re: Time for some fair trade. We're done getting ###### over.***

May 31, 2018, 10:29 PM

having the largest consumer economy in the world pretty much insures that you are going to tun a trade deficit. And if you do not like it, vote wihth your pocket book and buy american.

And I can understand China and Mexico, but levying a tariff on the EU and Canada is completely asinine.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why? Because the EU and Canada buy cheap steel from

Jun 1, 2018, 8:52 AM

China and then back door it into our country using NAFTA while charging the US as if it was made in the EU and Canada. Sounds fair to me.

How much choice do I have to "buy American" for steel?***

Jun 1, 2018, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Time for some fair trade. We're done getting ###### over.*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree. We're getting exactly what we want

Jun 1, 2018, 7:23 AM [ in reply to Time for some fair trade. We're done getting ###### over.*** ]

Goods and services (illegal immigrants) cheaper. Make goods here and we all pay more. And make more. It is a wash really. But all things being equal I'd prefer a middle class and manufacturing again at a cost.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree but there are several factors that need to be added.

Jun 1, 2018, 8:29 AM

I don't have time to expound this morning but maybe later...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a starting point in a negotiation

Jun 1, 2018, 8:31 AM

as cashmoney said, to level the playing field.

It wont stay there, but hopefully or Negotiator-in-chief can secure a better deal for US exports.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

#rustbeltvotes***

Jun 1, 2018, 9:18 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More like "Strategic Metals"

Jun 2, 2018, 9:59 AM

Ever see how much steel and aluminum is used to build an already over-priced $14 Billion dollar aircraft carrier?

Replies: 13
| visibility 599
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic