Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Someone fact check this for me with NYT or Wapo.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Someone fact check this for me with NYT or Wapo.

May 24, 2020, 2:14 PM

"Horowitz: The CDC confirms remarkably low coronavirus death rate. Where is the media?

The CDC just came out with a report that should be earth-shattering to the narrative of the political class, yet it will go into the thick pile of vital data and information about the virus that is not getting out to the public. For the first time, the CDC has attempted to offer a real estimate of the overall death rate for COVID-19, and under its most likely scenario, the number is 0.26%.

Officials estimate a 0.4% fatality rate among those who are symptomatic and project a 35% rate of asymptomatic cases among those infected, which drops the overall infection fatality rate (IFR) to just 0.26% — almost exactly where Stanford researchers pegged it a month ago..."

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/horowitz-new-antibody-study-strong-evidence-lockdown-strategy-wrong-course/

That article is filled with links and support including the CDC website and its May 20 report.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.14.20062463v2

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Run your own fact checks

May 24, 2020, 11:37 PM

Based on the websites you consistently reference, it’s wise to do your own fact checking.

I hope the CDC figures are accurate.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some assumptions to consider

May 25, 2020, 1:51 AM

If death rate is 0.26%, that means ~12% of population has already been infected. Do you think that number is right?

About 0.20% of New York City residents overall have already died. Do you think every resident has already been exposed?

If half the US population is infected, that yields 400k deaths. Is that worrisome?

The 3+% death rate warnings when the govt wanted us to shelter seem crazy high. The 0.26% rate when the govt wants us to open up now seems too low.

Truth is somewhere in between. Hopefully it’s this low.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't trust anything anyone says.

May 25, 2020, 8:23 AM

I'm like Brix when it comes to trusting government numbers. I have no respect for the CDC. The CDC's primary and original commission was to identify and stamp out infectious diseases. I posted links to reports of the CDC refusing to do that job. My position on the CDC, FDA and NIH has not changed since the onset of this epidemic. I complained about bureaucrats then and nothing has changed my mind.

However, we've all followed CDC guidelines and worshiped the science which produced the numbers that locked America down. Are you questioning those numbers now?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As I said, I hope those numbers are accurate

May 25, 2020, 11:01 AM

I’m not interested in running the math or research right now to try to find flaws in the study. For example, does the two week lag cause an error in the figures. What population was studied? Was this study posted by scientists vs bureaucrats? Etc etc.

I In my opinion, 0.26% seems low but I’m not going to grab a pitchfork and start bashing everybody to fight those figures.

I try to not only believe science when it’s convenient to my story. The CDC has smarter scientists than me.

Has a more mainstream media like Fox posted this yet? I’m hesitant when it’s only on very right leaning opinion blogs.

Good. BUT. We still don't have a treatment or a vaccine.

May 25, 2020, 12:22 PM

The numbers will eventually show that this thing is about like other plagues in mortality rate, etc.

That's well and fine.

BUT. HUGE BUT.

We don't have a vaccine (may never have one) and we don't have a treatment (which would help way more than a vaccine right now because we could freely allow non-vulnerable populations to be in contact with one another).

Unless and until we have those things, thousands and thousands will continue to die, even with a very low mortality rate.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Number 1, I'd look for something more recent

May 25, 2020, 3:58 PM

That study is from two months ago (April 3-4). It's not really worth fact checking at this point.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don’t know if this is the most recent

May 25, 2020, 6:01 PM

https://news.usc.edu/170565/covid-19-antibody-study-coronavirus-infections-los-angeles-county/

They estimate 2.5-7% of LA county had been infected a/o mid-April. If you use the deaths a/o today, that’s 0.3-0.84%, but that’s not the right number to use. It should be the deaths 2-3 weeks after the study, where I get something between 0.15 and 0.5%.

By the time you collect data, analyze, verify, and get the results reviewed, the study is already out of date.

What are you doing here.....

May 25, 2020, 6:23 PM

you speak sensibly

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DHEC is using a 10X multiplier

May 25, 2020, 7:09 PM

on known cases. That gives a 0.43% rate for SC and if you apply to NY and NJ with larger samples, 0.78 and 0.71% respectively.
NYC has the highest penetration we know of, so that's some of the best info. For the counties of queens, bronx, manhattan, and kings, the number of cases are 2.7, 3.9, 2.3, and 2.2% of the total populations. The deaths for those counties are 0.27, 0.38, 0.24, and 0.26% of the total populations. I've been optimistic with a 0.1% rate, but I guess it's going to be higher.

I think the numbers will be more accurate after we start to see active cases decline and testing catch up. Otherwise we are just looking at a small part of the picture. We'll need that info if it ramps back up after thanksgiving.

Did your source reveal that...

May 26, 2020, 8:22 AM

NY and the surrounding geographical area accounts for over 50% of America's fatalities and that 46% of the deaths in that geographical area were LTC facilities which were forced by governors executive orders to allow covid patients to be returned for care?

You need to read Darrell Huff's How to Lie With Statistics

Source is Johns Hopkins

May 26, 2020, 8:57 AM

Other sources show the breakdown with NH and AC. 57% of the deaths in NC and KY are in nursing homes too. 32% of SC. And a lot of states are not reporting the true numbers. White House last week said it was not required to report covid deaths in nursing homes before May 8. I don’t believe the GA, FL, or SC numbers for that reason.

Help out and look up the real numbers

May 26, 2020, 9:10 AM [ in reply to Did your source reveal that... ]

instead of just running your mouth.

Here’s a start: in bronx county, 624 of 4393 deaths were in nursing homes and adult care facilities.

You want a movie but all science can do is take a snapshot..

May 26, 2020, 8:16 AM [ in reply to Don’t know if this is the most recent ]

which can be plotted on a graph to identify large changes in the past with which to
predict/guess/estimate future expected changes. Did you miss high school math?

Did you learn math with an abacus

May 26, 2020, 7:27 PM

You missed the lesson on providing value to conversations.

The story died down fast

May 26, 2020, 8:02 PM [ in reply to You want a movie but all science can do is take a snapshot.. ]

so many missed it. A week or two ago, we found out that the famous “cubic model” the white house was using was actually that. A curve fit to historical data that they extrapolated out to predict a rapid decline in cases. Then as time went by and they were using more days in the fit, the curve changed inflection and predicted a rapid increase. At some point they figured out what they were doing was pretty #### stupid.

It’s that Lazzaro guy with the sort-of PhD.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic