Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: QB guru compares Boyd to Packers' Aaron Rodgers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: QB guru compares Boyd to Packers' Aaron Rodgers

Mar 25, 2013, 12:52 PM

QB guru compares Boyd to Packers' Aaron Rodgers

Clemson quarterbacks Tajh Boyd and Chad Kelly trained with quarterback guru George Whitfield last week in California. What did Whitfield say about Clemson's prospects this season? And what does he think of Chad Kelly? And why does he think Boyd is college football's Aaron Rodgers? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well I'd say that's a pretty good compliment***

Mar 25, 2013, 1:03 PM

Well I'd say that's a awesome compliment******

Mar 25, 2013, 1:10 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: QB guru compares Boyd to Packers' Aaron Rodgers

Mar 25, 2013, 1:08 PM

The funny part is...I thought the Rodgers comparison was only a trivial part of what was a VERY complimentary interview.

Of course it's in Whitfield's best interest to talk Tajh up as he has helped him develop. But it's great to hear someone so knowledgeable confirm all the things we know.

We could be in for a special season.

Nice Shot

Mar 25, 2013, 1:16 PM

Getting a little work in a little bit of paradise-----
minus the heavy smog. Gotta love it though. I know Swag
does.

Re: Nice Shot - yes, he looks like a man among boys***

Mar 25, 2013, 2:43 PM

"NFL QBs must be at least 6'8" tall these days. Guys who are

Mar 25, 2013, 1:21 PM

6'2" and under are just too short and can't make it".

Signed,
Everybody who parrots what they've heard without thinking and have failed to notice the numerous QBs who have excelled at 6'2" and below.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Some sub-6'2"-QBs make it in the NFL, but it's rare.

Mar 25, 2013, 3:17 PM

Right or wrong, the NFL historically likes QBs to be 6'2" or taller. Clemson lists Boyd as 6'1", but that may well be falsified. (Clemson listed Kyle Parker at 6'1" but MLB measured him at 6'0".)

Nobody who knows anything about the NFL would say that a sub-6'2" QB (like Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, et al) CAN'T make it in the NFL. But the NFL values QB height and so there are very few sub-6'2" QBs who DO make it. Last season, of the 32 NFL teams, there was a small handful of sub-6'2" starters-- Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Michael Vick (after Nick Foles' injury), and ???. There were only a handful more sub 6'2" QBs that even made NFL rosters.

Over the last 6 years and 74 QBs drafted, only 4 QBs under 6’2" were drafted to play QB. (Though 2 more QBs were drafted to play WR because they were too "short".) Those 4 QBs had outstanding college careers:
* 6'1" Colt McCoy, the then-all-time-winningest college QB (3rd round).
* 6’ Heisman winner, Troy Smith (5th round).
* 6'1" Tyrod Taylor (6th round).
* 5’11” Russell Wilson (3rd round).

Boyd will get his shot in the NFL. I hope he makes it big, like Brees, et al.

I don't disagree that the NFL puts a priority on height; I

Mar 25, 2013, 5:05 PM

just think it's a mistake to over-emphasize it as a factor when a QB is strong in other areas - like Tajh. Just like with 40 times - when too much focus is put on that one thing, too many good, and often great players get overlooked. It's importance is overblown.

10 of the starting QBs in the NFL were 6'2" or below; many more at 6'3", and no NFL analyst is gonna convince me that there is a significant difference, with all else being equal, between 6'1" and 6'2" or 6'3".

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I don't disagree that the NFL puts a priority on height; I

Mar 26, 2013, 5:53 AM

I think that some times the law of averages FAIL when it comes to exceptional gifted athletes like a Tajh Boyd....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't disagree but you keep mentioning 6'2". TB ain't 6'2'

Mar 26, 2013, 12:15 PM [ in reply to I don't disagree that the NFL puts a priority on height; I ]

Right or wrong, 6'2" is historically the NFL's magic number. Lot's of 6'2" or taller QBs get drafted and make it in the NFL. Sub-6'2" QBs are rare. Clemson lists Boyd at 6'1" but he is probably actually more like 6'0".

Re: Some sub-6'2"-QBs make it in the NFL, but it's rare.

Mar 26, 2013, 6:41 AM [ in reply to Some sub-6'2"-QBs make it in the NFL, but it's rare. ]

I never use the TD on you Razz because you are going to be RazzTazz no matter what myself or others think about your continued negativity of Clemson. I did TU this post of yours because you some how got past your sourness of most anything Clemson. Also when it comes to Tajh's height, Personally, I think that it would be stretching it to list Tajh at 6' 1" with his cleats on. But there isn't many 6'3"/6'5" QB's that can match his 6ft. abilities in leading his team down field. Tajh's FB strengths are at Elite status in my opinion. But my opinion won't get him drafted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think TB gets drafted mid-rounds w/ another good season.

Mar 26, 2013, 1:49 PM

... And I expect another good season.

I'm an '84 Clemson grad. I was there during the glory years and I want Clemson to return to such glory. When the coaches and administrators screw up, I say so (which is forbidden here on T-Net and is usually met with vitriol). When they do well I say so (which is never met with criticism here on T-Net). I didn't get past any "sourness". The football coaching staff is just performing better now (than, say, the disastrous 6-7 season when they lost to several inferior teams) and therefore they deserve more praise and less criticism. That seems obvious to me, but to you it means that I "somehow got past [my] sourness".

I just call them like I see them-- positive, negative, or neutral. Time after time, I've asked T-Net pumpers who complain about my supposed "negativity" to go back X weeks and count up the number of positive, negative, and neutral posts that I make, and time after time the it's been shown that my posts are balanced. But T-Net has an overwhelmingly intolerant, coach-loving, administration-loving, pure-sunshine-oriented editorial stance and readership, so balance isn't accepted, and any reader who posts critiques of the administration or coaches (no matter how reasonable, and fact-based) stands out, and is typically met with venom and is deemed a Clemson-hating, negative, Coot. It's much like how the intolerant Huffington Post's liberal readership viciously attacks anybody expressing a conservative viewpoint.

That seems to be unique to T-Net because when I post on other sports websites-- even other Clemson websites, nobody complains that I'm negative, and I usually get lots of thumbs-ups and positive responses, or at least civilized, adult, counterpoint, unlike the typically childish name-calling, and amateur psychological profiling, that I get here on T-Net.

George Whitfield Jr. will also be my guest on this week's

Mar 25, 2013, 1:47 PM

TigerNet Talk. If you have questions for him feel free to send them to clemson81@gmail.com

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2013, 2:16 PM

I don't think that there is a consistent Clemson fan that hasn't seen Tajh grow and be THE best QB to ever wear our Orange Paw. Time and time again have we seen Tajh get knocked square on his A$$ and flat on his back, and jump up and burn them. And there isn't a Clemson fan in Tiger Nation that wasn't over whelmed with happiness that Tajh is giving us one more year.

Rejoice Tiger Nation

Mar 25, 2013, 2:51 PM

Because I really do feel as though we have.....THE.....best quarterback in college football.

Tajh Boyd is a leader!!

He is working to better himself during Sprink Break, while that punk Manziel is off "partying" like he is all everything.

Next year Chad Kelly takes over, and with any luck, we get Deshaun Watson to follow.

The future is bright Tigertown!!!

ALL IN!!!!

Mar 25, 2013, 5:40 PM

Mar 25, 2013, 8:08 PM

He's a great college qb, I think that his "intangibles" will make up for extra inch or two. It's funny, my high school baseball coach once compared me to Hank Aaron, he said "he's sure as h3ll no Hank Aaron".

Tajh has all the tools it takes to be a good QB on the next

Mar 25, 2013, 7:07 PM

level. No, he's not 6'4 / 6'5 like Eli or Brady, but neither is Russell Wilson or Drew Brees. Neither was Donovan McNabb, etc.

I have NO doubt Tajh is going to keep on an upward path. The only thing that I could see stopping him is a freak injury or something like that.

Mar 26, 2013, 3:53 AM

Pacific Beach Rox...took my niece there today, was beautiful out...wonder if the pic is from today

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic