Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some really week arguments against new rules
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,749

Some really week arguments against new rules

Jan 26, 2013, 11:20 AM

I still haven't decided whether the newest NCAA rule changes that affect recruiting are 'good' overall, or not. But my initial thought is they are. The only arguments against them in this SI article are really weak. I've always disliked the idea of forcing a 'level playing field' (so to speak)in general, and that seems to be the only argument for keeping the original restrictions. I mean, someone is upset because there won't be mandatory 'breaks' in communication? Poor, highly paid coaches. They may have to send a text a day to each recruit to check up or log onto Facebook nightly to check status, or something....? Seems whiney to me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130125/ncaa-rulebook-changes-recruiting/index.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll give you my thoughts in about a "weak"

Jan 26, 2013, 11:23 AM

:)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes typing on my phone is a pain...

Jan 26, 2013, 11:33 AM

...It's tedious to navigate every inch of a web page when your screen is so small. I'm happy I got it right in the text.

But thanks for your input, it was helpful in shedding light on the topic!!!!

I could care less about how it effects the coaches. I am

Jan 26, 2013, 11:35 AM

concerned though with the well being of the high school student athlete. I just don't think the way things are setup is healthy for 17 and 18 year old kids. You want to know why there are so many issues with recruits and their lack of "commitment"...look no further than the NCAA and this open door to kids.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I could care less about how it effects the coaches. I am

Jan 26, 2013, 11:39 AM

Absolutely nothing could be said with anymore TRUTH!!!+

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I could care less about how it effects the coaches. I am

Jan 26, 2013, 11:42 AM [ in reply to I could care less about how it effects the coaches. I am ]

seriously I agree. cant see how there is anything here good for the kids.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't the kids just say "no"? I don't think they are....

Jan 26, 2013, 11:53 AM [ in reply to I could care less about how it effects the coaches. I am ]

....out there all alone. I think they get guidance and counseling from their HS coaches. A number of offers come through them, don't they? And surely if they can handle shutting down their classmates or girlfriends on social media and texts, they can deal with college coaches. Coaches who don't respect their wishes are telling them a lot about that school.

Day must not know month about it.***

Jan 26, 2013, 12:04 PM

Re: Some really week arguments against new rules

Jan 26, 2013, 12:12 PM

Would like to see the rules set to be more restrictive in terms of times and number of people doing the recruiting.

If the Gamecocks, Bulldogs, Tide each employ 200 people at $50,000/ year ($10 million/year)to personally stalk or service their recruits, do we want to try to match that?

That is unproductive allocation of resources.

I guess I see it 100% opposite...

Jan 26, 2013, 12:17 PM

...The schools that stalk annoyingly are less likely to get the recruit they are stalking. If the kid had no parents or parent and no HS coaches, if not also other HS counselors, it would make sense. If you need strict rules on contact and engagement, why not just set up an NCAA group like a clearinghouse for each and every contact? That way you could check for all the other stuff that it illegal too.

Re: I guess I see it 100% opposite...

Jan 26, 2013, 12:23 PM

What is the professional recruiter was kind of hot and slutty? You think that would turn off most high school kids?

That is a HUGE 'what-if'....

Jan 26, 2013, 12:27 PM

...What if the professional recruiter were a hypnotist???

Seriously, it's better to give the recruits and schools some freedoms and see if it gets abused. Somehow I have a hard time believing most recruits are so dainty they must be protected from the big, bad, evil recruiters.

Re: That is a HUGE 'what-if'....

Jan 26, 2013, 2:48 PM

My point is that it is unhealthy to allow universities to throw near unlimited resources at recruiting (or coaching salaries for that matter). Alabama employeeing 100 recruiters is not inconceivable.

There are about 1000 division 1 football games per year. There will be 1000 wins and 1000 losses no matter if a $billion is spent on recruiting or $100.

In both cases Clemson and Alabama should have winning seasons. I would prefer to spend a little and win X games rather than spending a lot and win X games.

Re: Re: That is a HUGE 'what-if'....

Jan 26, 2013, 4:55 PM

I get your point. But to me it makes more sense to limit how many are involved in recruiting than to micromanage recruiting activity. The kids aren't that helpless after all. And putting NCAA resources on the REAL cheating - like gift giving or questionable donors making good-ol-boy deals behind closed doors - seems like a better use of NCAA resources.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,749
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic