Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some Words on Brian Wofford
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Some Words on Brian Wofford

May 19, 2012, 11:24 AM

Brian Wofford died on Friday morning, but he will leave behind a legacy of making a positive impact on each soul he met. Leaving behind a beautiful wife and young daughter, Brian left this world far too early. Some people take advantage of those precious moments that they have on earth. They fill each minute with 60 seconds worth of fulfillment. Brian Wofford was one of those people.

I was eleven years old when Brian Wofford first shined on a football field at Clemson. The university's tradition of allowing fans to congregate on the field provided me sample opportunity to get to know Brian and other players. During a game in Brian's sophomore season, he made a pre-game promise to give me his gloves after the game. Clemson lost, and I wondered whether Brian would make good on his deal. I couldn't find him on the field, as it can be hard for an eleven-year old to navigate hoards of people. Somewhat dejected, I waited for him outside of the tunnel. Brian came out with the gloves, undoubtedly having to tell countless other kids that they were spoken for.

The next year at fan appreciation day, I got to sit and talk with Brian. He took five or so minutes out of his busy day to ask me about my junior football. He took pictures and signed those gloves he had given me. The next season, I penned a good luck note to Brian prior to every game. Whether it was a picture drawn by a very amateur twelve year old artist or it was just a word of encouragement, I always wanted to have something to give to Brian. Often times, my notes didn't go beyond, "Stomp the Jackets." Brian would take the note coming off of the bus prior to every game. He would wait for me after the game to give me gloves or some other piece of equipment.

Those moments waiting for the Clemson bus to arrive were some of the best of my young life. I would hear the police sirens and run to the old west endzone. I would pressure my grandparents to get us there in time for this, as I really thought Brian depended upon my letters to have a good game. Even when the guys weren't playing well, he never failed to act excited or interested. These are moments that have stuck with me forever.

In Brian's final game as a Clemson Tiger, he went out in style. Clemson played horribly in a loss to Fred Smooth and Mississippi State. Still, Brian had one of his best games, racking up more than 100 years in a fitting send-off. We had left the game early, retreating to the parking lot to beat the traffic. I couldn't let it end that way. I begged and pleaded with my grandparents to allow me to return and wait for the team. I wanted to say thanks and goodbye to Brian Wofford and Mal Lawyer. When they came out, they handed me a Peach Bowl hat. I remember Brian saying, "Thanks for being there for us, buddy."

I often thought about those days in the years following. I had grown up and worked in summer camps, where I had an opportunity to be a positive influence on kids, just as Brian Wofford had been to me. I thought about how he took the time to make a little kid feel like the most important person in the world. It was amazing then and remains astonishing today.

The advent of social media allowed me to reach out to Brian Wofford in the fall of 2010. I just wanted to say thanks for the memories, the gloves, and the goofy handshakes that made me think I was cool. I wanted to thank him for being such a good role model. At a time when athletes like Peter Warrick were getting arrested, Brian Wofford was a person to emulate. We had a nice conversation and I was glad to get to share some thoughts with him. Though he said it made him feel old, he claimed that having "little guys" like me around was second only to running down the hill.

Brian Wofford became more than a football player. He earned his degree and crafted a career. He served the Spartanburg community with a great deal of zeal, working tirelessly to give something back. He was a person who touched many people. Today, I have read words from former coaches, former teammates, family members, and people who remembered Brian. I had a friend recall a similar story to mine, thinking of those days when he would play pick-up football and call himself "Brian Wofford." Brian was a loving father to a young daughter. He was a loving husband to a beautiful wife. Above all, he was a person who understood that every moment was an opportunity to pour some good into the lives of those people around him.

Brian Wofford is gone too soon. His memory lives on for those who were lucky enough to meet and know him. For those people, I say, "Thanks for being there for us, buddy."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chuck Norris frequently signs up for beginner karate classes, just so he can "accidentally" beat the s*it out of little kids.

You should send this as a letter to his family and to

May 19, 2012, 11:31 AM

the family's local newspaper.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You should send this as a letter to his family-- amen

May 19, 2012, 12:09 PM

wish tigernet had more posts with this type of positive impact (obviously not for this reason though).

I lieterally have a tear in my eye and have a couple times for a fine young man making a difference in his community who was taken far too soon. RIP Brian.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome post. Thanks so much for sharing.***

May 19, 2012, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the uplifting post!***

May 19, 2012, 12:00 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You will always be in the right if you treat others as you want to be treated!

Respectful & heartfelt Coby....as it would be from a Tiger

May 19, 2012, 12:18 PM

sports writer (as I was in 1965-6) who cared very much for our Tiger Brian Wofford. I send my condolences to his Family & to You too. Go TiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some Words on Brian Wofford

May 19, 2012, 12:07 PM

That was great, well done. I agree, you should send this letter in a card to his family. Sometimes the funeral home have a link where you can leave messages. I am sure his loved ones would appreciated hearing how much he meant in your life.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a moving story.....brought happy tears to my eyes

May 19, 2012, 12:26 PM

Agree, the family would just love this.

Brian Wofford

May 19, 2012, 12:53 PM

Bless Brian Wofford and his family.

That was a fitting tribute, Coby. Thanks for posting. ******

May 19, 2012, 12:58 PM

null

May 19, 2012, 3:23 PM

This is a beautifully written tribute to Brian. I was lucky enough to teach and coach Brian in junior high, and he was the same kid then as the one I've been reading about today. Junior high is an awkward age for most, but Brian was already showing signs of maturity even then. At the same time, he had a playfulness about him that kept his classmates, teammates, teachers, and coaches relaxed and loose. One memorable thing Brian did after he left us and moved on to high school and college was to return. He'd show up for games sometimes, and always made a point to speak to his old coaches after the game. Not many kids return to their junior highs; it says a lot that he was one who did. One common theme I'm seeing about Brian today is his smile, ever-present and authentic. He and his smile will be missed.

May 19, 2012, 3:25 PM

Thank you for giving us a little peek into Brian's life that most of us never would have known about otherwise. This is a touching tribute.

May 19, 2012, 10:59 PM

Thank you for an excellent post. I too appreciate knowing him a little better. Prayers for his family...
I know Brian will be there this fall for the opening game!
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Many Thanks For

May 20, 2012, 12:00 AM

that very, very wonderful tribute. His family will treasure it for the rest of their lives. I hope this tribute to a wonderful Tiger also finds a place in the West Zone athletic halls.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 20, 2012, 12:39 AM

nice!that's all i can say.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Great post. Thanks for sharing.***

May 20, 2012, 12:04 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic