Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Solution for the Teams that "Don't want to be there"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Solution for the Teams that "Don't want to be there"

Jan 2, 2019, 1:53 PM

decline the invite and save all of us that do care the pain of hearing your beetching!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

And forgo your payout as well....***

Aug 15, 2013, 12:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Solution for the Teams that "Don't want to be there"

Jan 2, 2019, 2:11 PM

I seem to remember in the 80s SoCar would turn down bowl trips but blame academics. Maybe the SEC can start claiming academics as a reason for turning down bowls they don't want to be at and try to boost the image of the conference as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems to me that the only teams that

Jan 2, 2019, 2:13 PM

"didn't want to be there" were the ones that got their ##### kicked. Let me hear a story about the team that won not wanting to be there, and I'll buy it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Re: Seems to me that the only teams that

Jan 2, 2019, 2:25 PM

Very true. I do imagine there have been examples in bowl games of one team not putting in as much effort. It's not the effort on the field really as I'm sure the players are doing their best to make plays once the game starts. The problem could be in putting the proper time and motivation into film study following the season, distraction with holidays, upcoming NFL Draft, and sometimes a disappointment in your season not going the way you hoped.

I'm certainly sure that's happened several times over the years. The problem though of course is now so many fans of losing teams immediately jump to that excuse. IMO, the excuse doesn't save you any shame for losing the game. The preparation needed to win a football game is vastly important, and part of the process. If the other team does a better job in that preparation then they were better than you.

We were more talented than a lot of teams we lost to while Tommy Bowden was here, and many of our losses could easily be blamed on poor preparation for the game by our coaching staff. That didn't change the fact that we were constantly losing games, and any of excuse of "well we didn't want it as bad as the other team since we didn't do a good enough job preparing" certainly didn't make us a better team and forgive those losses for us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seems to me that the only teams that

Jan 2, 2019, 2:46 PM

That's the coaches' responsibility to prepare the team. If a team doesn't care or want to be there or prepare well, then they have poor leadership in both the coaches' offices and the locker room. Therefore, inferior team.

Jan 2, 2019, 2:18 PM

Maybe pay the winning team a small stipend for winning the bowl game? Like each player on the winning team gets $500 in addition to whatever bowl gifts they receive just for making it? I realize that's a lot of money to come up with, but maybe the cost could be split between the sponsors, schools, and perhaps conferences? Maybe it wouldn't be enough to motivate those about to leave for the NFL, but the extra spending money could make the rest of the players care a bit more.

Jan 2, 2019, 3:06 PM

If you don’t want to be there and lose , evidently you don’t mind losing.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic