Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson vs LSU coaching match-up; facts over hype....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Clemson vs LSU coaching match-up; facts over hype....

Jan 6, 2020, 8:39 AM

Here are the facts boys and girls...

Since Orgeron took over at LSU in 2016 he is 39 and 9. During that time as a head coach, his record against national championship winning coaches is:
1-3 against Nick Saban
1-1 against Jimbo Fisher
Total record: 2-4 or 33% winning average

Orgeron has played and won 1 playoff game in his entire coaching career...

Dabo Swinney and his Clemson Tigers are 55 and 3 since 2016. As a head coach, his record against national championship winning coaches is:
2-2 against Nick Saban
2-0 against Urban Meyer
2-0 against Bob Stoops
5-3 against Jimbo Fisher
Total record: 11-5 or 69% winning average

Of note in achieving this record, with the exception of the games coached by Jimbo Fisher at Texas A&M, Clemson was not favored in any of those match-ups against former national championship coaches/teams.

Dabo Swinney has played in 8 playoff games (soon to be 9) and has a record of 6 and 2 in those games.

These are the coaching facts of this match-up and I'm giving Orgeron a break by not counting his dismal record at Ole Miss or partial year record at USC - both of which drag his career stats into the dump. Don't get me wrong, LSU is a good team and has had a tremendous year, but Orgeron has never sniffed this air before. Orgeron is still in the cradle when it comes to competing against national championship caliber coaches/teams.

Orgeron is currently on a one year win streak against championship caliber teams (truthfully a one game streak - his only real career win over a natty caliber team is this years Alabama - this years Oklahoma was/is NOT championship caliber). Clemson, on the other hand has built a track record over the last 5 years of beating championship caliber teams and coaching staffs from all over college football. My gut and our track record tells me "we got this" and will win this game...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate to say a team got lucky to win

Jan 6, 2020, 8:45 AM

but LSU definitely was lucky to beat Bama considering all of the unforced errors Alabama made. It may have been the worst game Saban had as far as players failing to execute.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hate to say a team got lucky to win

Jan 6, 2020, 11:24 AM

LSU never trailed the entire game and the only time their offense was “stopped” was when they took their foot off the gas in third quarter to try and burn some clock running the ball. Every time Bama scored LSU marched down the field and responded, that’s not even mentioning the amount of non calls on PI by Trevon Diggs who was being abused by Jamar Chase and resorted to grabbing a fistful of jersey for much of the game..burned badly on a play that would be a walk in score and grabs Chase from the back pulling him away from the ball. That happened multiple times in the game and I think got called once. Or how about the “lucky” play where Dave Aranda was yelling at Stingley during the play and Stingley turned to respond and Devonta Smith ran right by him for a 70 yard score in what amounted to a free uncontested touchdown for Bama. The only thing lucky in that game was Bama being lucky the game didn’t end in a home blowout.

That was the most points surrendered by an Alabama team since 1970, and the most points surrendered in Tuscaloosa since 1907...but yeah, LSU was lucky.

LSU was spotted 10 points solely from unforced

Jan 6, 2020, 12:02 PM

Alabama errors. And we both know how depleted Alabama's LB corp is and how Tua was limping around that game.

It was not a very convincing win.

Re: Clemson vs LSU coaching match-up; facts over hype....

Jan 6, 2020, 8:49 AM

And all of this has no bearing on next Monday's game. All of these stats are from different years with different team members. Golly but we are grasping at straws in trying to find a way to assure our selves of a win. Just relax. Game day will be here before you know it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 8:51 AM

Me thinks you’re the one in need of relaxing. Do you really expect your fellow fans to not talk about the matchup?

No Doubt...

Jan 6, 2020, 9:44 AM

Dabo has a better record vs NC teams than O.

O has, however, been on coaching staffs that won NCs at Miami and USCw. He does have a staff of experienced coaches.

O is where Dabo was a few years ago, building a program. O will never dominate like Dabo, because of his competition.

Teams with coaching, $$$$$$$$$, commitment, facilities and recruiting strongholds are on LSU's schedule every year: UF, bama, Tamu will all get there, with UGA waiting at the SEC CG.

LSU will continue to get better. This team arrived on schedule, however, O sold Burrow and family on his plan for an open Offense, and told them that it couldn't be done in one year; he was right, it took 2.

LSU was saddled for years w/ a coach who couldn't change, wouldn't open up the Off. He won just enuf to stay ahead of the posse, wasting immense talent. That has changed (or LSU wouldn't be in this position).

As Oeaux sez, WE COMIN'

So you are saying coaching and track record mean nothing...

Jan 6, 2020, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson vs LSU coaching match-up; facts over hype.... ]

And all of this has no bearing on next Monday's game. All of these stats are from different years with different team members. Golly but we are grasping at straws in trying to find a way to assure our selves of a win. Just relax. Game day will be here before you know it.

I beg to differ but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

By the way, I am retired, relaxed, and very self assured. I have no need to grasp at anything for "assurance" as I have survived more than one combat tour in my life and a football game is as trivial an event in life as there is. As a Clemson alumnus I prefer we win, but at the end of the day it really doesn't make a difference one way or another. If we win - great! If we lose - meh - we had a great year and I've got plenty of more important matters to occupy my thoughts and time. I just happen to enjoy looking at behind the scenes facts and not the hype.

So while I can respect your first observation regarding different years/different teams - your grasping at straws comment makes you look like an assuming tool...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson vs LSU coaching match-up; facts over hype.... ]

All of the talk is meaningless as far as the game goes. But it is fun to look at the numbers and records to try to get some sort of idea of where the teams stand. It is true that absolutely nothing we say is going to influence the outcome, but you can't expect fans to sit quietly and say nothing. It's part of the overall experience of getting ready for a bog game. Always has been and probably always will be.

Jan 6, 2020, 9:31 AM

Big game. :)

Jan 6, 2020, 9:42 AM

Also 1-0 vs Mack Brown

Jan 6, 2020, 9:44 AM

Also 1-0 vs Mack Brown

Good catch - thumbs up for you!

Jan 6, 2020, 11:59 AM

You also forgot 2-1 against Gene Chizik, who won the national championship in 2010 at Auburn, for Dabo.

Jan 6, 2020, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson vs LSU coaching match-up; facts over hype.... ]

Dabo is also 1-1 against Bobby Bowden, and he is 2-5 against Steve Spurrier.

Jan 6, 2020, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson vs LSU coaching match-up; facts over hype.... ]

Dabo was also 1-0 against Les Miles.

Jan 6, 2020, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson vs LSU coaching match-up; facts over hype.... ]

Dabo is 10-5 in the post-season. Really great when you consider that all-time winning coaches struggle to win bowl and playoff games. Tom Osborne was 12-13 in bowl games. Bear Bryant was 15-12-2. Woody Hayes was 6-6. Mack Brown 13-8. Vince Dooley 8-10-2. Barry Switzer 8-5. Bob Stoops 9-9. Frank Beamer 11-13. Frank Broyles 4-6. Lou Holtz 12-8-2. Darrell Royal 8-7-1. Nick Saban 15-10. Phillip Fulmer 8-7. Steve Spurrier 11-10. Bobby Bowden probably with the best record at 22-10-1. Of course, there are others with winning post-season records, but they seem to be few and far between.

Playoff experience builds confidence and competence ...

Jan 6, 2020, 10:58 AM

The players change, but almost all of the Clemson coaching staff has several of these monster games under their belts.

LSU has fine coaches, but none of them have played for or won multiple national championships.

The lights were a bit too bright for Dabo et al in 2015. But, they gained experience and developed competence the next year they weren’t intimidated.

Coach Orgeron and his guys may be in a similar position right now.

We’ll see how it turns out.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 11:07 AM

Just spot the ball. We will win this game with focus, determination and great coaching.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic