Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So with Mitchell hurt ,Wesley hurt and Conley shut down by
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

So with Mitchell hurt ,Wesley hurt and Conley shut down by

Aug 2, 2014, 11:41 AM

#2.I guess its gonna be all on Gurley.He's not gonna be able to take it for 4 qtrs against this D.He runs so hard he will get his yrds and also get popped severely for his efforts.Tigers will roar!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes and we will start them off in a bad way again this year.

Aug 2, 2014, 11:51 AM

Last year they suffered a large amount of injuries and insult and we got the ball rolling right off the bat. I want to see what their injury report looks like on Sept. 1st.

Re: yes and we will start them off in a bad way again this year.

Aug 2, 2014, 11:57 AM

Oh lord don't cause karma to get into this. Last year was last year, lets see what this year brings US!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So with Mitchell hurt ,Wesley hurt and Conley shut down by

Aug 2, 2014, 11:53 AM

There were a fair bit of pieces to replace on D last year. You could feel them getting better and more settled in as the game went on. Won't be as much of a curve this year.

here's what it will look like

Aug 2, 2014, 11:54 AM

Aug 2, 2014, 12:03 PM

It's not going to be a secret that UGAy will go as far as Gurley takes them. If we stop their running game the Tigers will win.

Isn't Keith Marshall healthy right now?

Aug 2, 2014, 12:17 PM

He didn't have many carries but when he touched it he smacked SCar's defenders pretty well last year.

And I read that although he was still wearing a brace over his repaired knee, he was all out in their first practice.

That duo is what gives the Dawgs any chance of punishing a defense. The good news is we've got some depth in the 7 positions and can rotate if needed to keep any one defender from getting exhausted.

Re: Isn't Keith Marshall healthy right now?

Aug 2, 2014, 12:19 PM

We were not kind to Marshall. 2.69 ypc.

UGA RB Duo

Aug 2, 2014, 12:25 PM

Clemson will need to be extremely cautious on the outside. They have started using Gurley and Marshal as Receivers for Bubble Screen Passes. If not careful it can equal 6 points every time the do it. Our secondary and outside linebackers need to be very alert and ever more physical. Just an observation from the UGA Spring Game film.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Re: UGA RB Duo

Aug 2, 2014, 12:26 PM

We almost let them burn us on a screen in last years game. But as far as simple routes out of the backfield went we actually did very well.

True. But we didn't have the duo the entire game either

Aug 2, 2014, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Isn't Keith Marshall healthy right now? ]

and even though we were effective with KM, Gurley still managed over 7 yards per touch WITHOUT the busted coverage for 75 yards.

We definitely got better against the run as the season went on, though.

Some think without Shuey and Christian we might have a harder time. But I think we have an even slightly better 7 to defend against it.

It all boils down to how much Marshall will be able to contribute. Like was said, Gurley could get gassed if they push him beyond 20 or so touches.

Re: True. But we didn't have the duo the entire game either

Aug 2, 2014, 12:34 PM

Gurley also got two very poor runs (1 and -2 yards) erased because of accepted penalties against Georgia for illegal blocks. Gurley had three long runs other than the 75. One was over pursuit by Anthony, one was great improv by Gurley when we owned the blocking he was supposed to follow, the other was late in the 4th when are linebackers were not playing the run anymore. I think when you look at each run individually we did a pretty good job of containing the run on most plays. Gurley did a great job of finding the miscues and flaws in our defense. I don't think those will be as plentiful this year.

I like the way we handled the Miller/Hyde duo in the OB, too

Aug 2, 2014, 12:38 PM

Again, even though we've got a few new starters, everyone is pretty seasoned and very solid at their positions. So I think our evolution last season extends into this season. I trust Venables has some of the issues figures out too.

Re: I like the way we handled the Miller/Hyde duo in the OB, too

Aug 2, 2014, 12:44 PM

Good point. With Hyde, Miller, Williams, Davis on our shutdown list I think it is safe to assume Gurley's small sample size in the first game of the season was an outlier. It was his career long run and career high yards gained.

If I had to pretend to be a pessimist, maybe I'd worry that

Aug 2, 2014, 1:02 PM

Kearse was key in Gurley making at least one of his career records if not both. Wasn't he? And he's back, but of course in a new position. And he seems to be one of those 120% committed guys. With that and what Venables and Reed have said, he maybe shouldn't be so much of a concern.

Re: If I had to pretend to be a pessimist, maybe I'd worry that

Aug 2, 2014, 1:05 PM

I don't know how many snaps he got in that game. If I had to guess it was the Travis Blanks experiment at safety that facilitated those runs.

Re: If I had to pretend to be a pessimist, maybe I'd worry that

Aug 2, 2014, 1:51 PM [ in reply to If I had to pretend to be a pessimist, maybe I'd worry that ]

He's had problems playing assignment football, took reckless chances and gave up some cheap TD's. Hope he has learned.

Aug 2, 2014, 9:29 PM [ in reply to True. But we didn't have the duo the entire game either ]

Nah, we have Boulware, Stewart, and a few others at LB... We will be fine against the run this season.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Aug 2, 2014, 10:06 PM [ in reply to True. But we didn't have the duo the entire game either ]

Wait a minute! We might miss Shuey, but Christian I do not think so.

Aug 2, 2014, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Isn't Keith Marshall healthy right now? ]

I heard that Marshall is well over 200 lbs now.

Aug 2, 2014, 1:53 PM

Correction: Actually up over 220.

What's not clear is how well healed from surgery he is***

Aug 2, 2014, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Isn't Keith Marshall healthy right now? ]

Aug 2, 2014, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Isn't Keith Marshall healthy right now? ]

> I heard that Marshall is well over 200 lbs now.

That's the same weight he played at last year. Don't know why but alot of people incorrectly assume he is a small RB. Not the case at all.

Aug 2, 2014, 2:14 PM

No love for our second leading receiver last year? Bennett had more yards than JSW and Mitchell(obviously) last year. Also, he missed 2 or 3 games last year with a knee injury. He is one that the fans want watch but a coaching staff definitely will. Of all our problems we have right now, for UGA fans receivers are our least. We have plenty of guys that can stretch the field.(Rump,Davis) just to name a couple you guys probably aren't familiar with.

Reggie Davis hadn't played big league ball yet

Aug 2, 2014, 2:25 PM

so it's not easy to predict what impact he will have. Rumph at least got to play a few snaps in big games, but 2 or 3 here and there doesn't show much. So hard to guess on him, too.

I don't think anyone who is being honest or serious would think Conley or Bennett aren't much to worry about. Wasn't Bennett one of they keys to keeping UGA in the game at Auburn?

But Mason needs enough time to find them. There's the real opportunity for our D. Witness Nebraska, for example.

Re: Reggie Davis hadn't played big league ball yet

Aug 2, 2014, 2:38 PM

Davis is kind of an unknown but a burner. The coaches and fans have been really high on Rumph receiving wise but I just don't think he could get the offense down last year(JUCO transfer). Bennett was always Murrays (have to) guy. Anytime a big play needed to be made, Bennett was who the ball was going to.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic