Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swinney: "There should be no question who the toughest team is"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Aug 8, 2010, 5:32 PM

Physical. Intimidating. Smash-mouth. Tough. - Those have been the buzz words surrounding the Clemson football program since Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney took over the program during the 2008 season. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Swinney: "There should be no question who the toughest team is"

Aug 8, 2010, 5:43 PM

Exactly whats been missing from Clemson football. Practice should be so brutal that games are a picnic.

Therein lies the key to Clemson taking full advantage of the

Aug 8, 2010, 6:07 PM

talent we have on the football team.

I have confidence in Dabo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TV games have become like marathons ...

Aug 8, 2010, 6:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Swinney: "There should be no question who the toughest team is" ]

often going 3.5 to 4 hours.

There's a lot of mental toughness to keep the focus & intensity for that length of time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty much what Ford said in his recent interview

Aug 8, 2010, 6:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Swinney: "There should be no question who the toughest team is" ]

You have to out work the other guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Pretty much what Ford said in his recent interview

Aug 8, 2010, 9:46 PM

Of course, I'm a Danny Ford fan, but his teams did epitomize toughness. Nobody ever out toughed his teams. I hope Dabo can get that mentality instilled. If he does, then look out, and I believe he can. I never thought TB could. With him, it was more about finesse and trickery. I say line the guys up and se who whips who. That's what it boils down to.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2010, 7:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Swinney: "There should be no question who the toughest team is" ]

Bear Bryant style.

So why had we become a country club --- I don't get it***

Aug 8, 2010, 8:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Swinney: "There should be no question who the toughest team is" ]

TB was more into finesse than physical -- especially on O.

Aug 8, 2010, 8:22 PM

His philosophy was to use speed instead of power to defeat you. Problem was when you have a team like Bama with both speed and physical play then Clemson had nothing to match them.

DF: Use power to beat you though line play, tough D, and kicking. I think Dabo understands this and will try to do the same thing as Saban in this regard. JMHO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i like that talk, hopefully it will show on saturdays***

Aug 8, 2010, 5:52 PM

Love hearing this. Toughness has been lacking in the past

Aug 8, 2010, 7:52 PM

Teams like Alabama or VA Tech would hit Clemson in the mouth and they would fold.

Seems ridiculous to have forgotten this football fundamental

Aug 8, 2010, 8:05 PM

for what seems like 20 years.

It's refreshing to have a coach focusing on toughness and

Aug 8, 2010, 8:08 PM [ in reply to Love hearing this. Toughness has been lacking in the past ]

not the QB's attractiveness...

Not sure if that was the only reason...

Aug 8, 2010, 10:53 PM [ in reply to Love hearing this. Toughness has been lacking in the past ]

but it seemed that way.

I also think they had the players to run the offense they wanted, or used an offense to suit the players available.

That is the part of all of this that no one takes notice of.
For example, you can't run a spread well if you don't have the players to run a spread well. I think that was one reason we started 2-3 last year.

Aug 8, 2010, 8:47 PM

maybe Swinney would be a good cheerleader also. Seems to be either trying to build confidence or he needs to put a sock in it for a change.

This isn't cheerleading; it's his philosophy. This team will

Aug 8, 2010, 8:49 PM

be tougher than last year.

Don't mind steady88....he's a Gamecock.

Aug 8, 2010, 8:57 PM

;)

http://thetigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=9297944#9297944

It's a risk you have to take

Aug 8, 2010, 9:21 PM

Tommy Bowden didn't prefer speed over toughness. He wanted a tough and fast team. Problem with Bowden was he was too afraid of getting starting players hurt in practice. You can't have a tough and nasty team if you don't let them go all out in Fall camp. You just have to take the chance if you want nasty team.

Re: It's a risk you have to take

Aug 8, 2010, 9:26 PM

When you talk the talk, You Should be ready to walk the walk !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a tightrope. Noone wants players to get hurt

Aug 8, 2010, 10:48 PM [ in reply to It's a risk you have to take ]

in practice, or ever. But injuries will occur because of the nature of the sport obviously. One also doesn't want the players to blow their wad just in practice. I guess that's apart of the "conditioning" and that thin line.

But I am not so sure the lighter practice philosophy was Bowden's or his reason for not being better in W's. I mean, Tommy West was a Ford underling and his W's weren't so great. Worse even.

West was missing the talent. The talent took flight after DF

Aug 8, 2010, 11:20 PM

let go and KH went in another direction. If West had the talent KH had, he would have been much more successful.

Compare the number of times a trainer came out under TB

Aug 9, 2010, 9:33 AM [ in reply to It's a risk you have to take ]

to Dabo. Players would just lay on the field, wait for a trainer and then pop up and take a play off. The trainers were wearing out shoes going on the field so many times. It was worse than a soccer game.

There is none of that now. In fact it stopped when Dabo was interim. So it had to be called for by the coaches. You don't develop toughness in one bye week.

Re: It's a risk you have to take

Aug 10, 2010, 12:51 AM [ in reply to It's a risk you have to take ]

More times than not, the player thats getting out toughed. Is the player that ends up getting injured !!!

Aug 8, 2010, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Swinney: "There should be no question who the toughest team is" ]

What a pitiful post. Go back to fgf.

Re: Swinney: "There should be no question who the toughest team is"***

Aug 10, 2010, 12:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Swinney: "There should be no question who the toughest team is" ]

Re: Swinney: "There should be no question who the toughest team is"***

Aug 10, 2010, 12:48 AM

Another cootie talking with a few of his #### players up his #$$ !!!

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic